News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Hotamber

Now they are adding outdoor gardens and a beer tent so it will be just like any other city park but 3000 times more expensive. They are destroying they very soul of their parks with the tree less Astroturf Starbucks USA Magic Kingdom, the basic cable Hollywood Studios with only 2 channels Star Wars or Toy Story, Epcot Fanastyland and the Navi Pixar Kingdom

Last edited:

HauntedMansionFLA

Now they are adding outdoor gardens and a beer tent so it will be just like any other city park but 3000 times more expensive. They are destroying they very soul of their parks with the tree less Astroturf Starbucks USA Magic Kingdom, the basic cable Hollywood Studios with only 2 channels Star Wars or Toy Story, Epcot Fanastyland and the Navi Pixar Kingdom

Beer tent?

BubbaisSleep

As someone who's survived the 5 year DCA makeover, this construction seems minimal and exciting. At least World Showcase is untouched or has construction behind the scenes. Nearly all of DCA was mazes from the temporary entrance around Soarin' all the way to the back of the park. Count me in the group that's happy those tarps are gone. That was one of the few areas that reminded me of 90's Burger King and Save by the Bell aesthetics.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

I don't disagree with the removal of the tarps. Or even a removal of the FON. But, this is all way too much and unnecessary. They could have easily stripped back each of the 4 CC/Innovention buildings to their studs and done them in rotation into something amazing and new. Even with a rooftop beer bar on one if needed. And then replace the FON with a new version. It would have been much easier to manage, far less expensive and just as impactful. And, without this unnecessary stage in the middle (let alone the loss of nostalgia they are now facing). My personal opinion, of course. But, this just smacks of being overdone yet underdone at the same time.

I would also note that DCA, while it certainly had its fans and original cohesive themes - was never close to the park Epcot Center was. It was more like DHS, so many people were asking for an overhaul since the beginning. While Epcot needed investment and upgrades no doubt. There is more to lose here than with the DCA overhaul in the fan base IMHO.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Ah. It was very pretty pre tarps. Although partially obscured I do have this to hand

Thank you for sharing.

I actively liked the visual impact of the “tarps” and thought it created a very dramatic visual, but this is beautiful as well. I honestly didn’t realize they weren’t original to the park, while I must have gone several times before they were there, to me they always looked like they belonged. I even made it a point this last fall to take one last long look at them as I left Epcot.

That festival center is going to be a lot more detrimental to that view than the tarps I fear. (Also the lack of a fountain).

Josh Hendy

Besides the geodesic dome, the very first and most impressive thing I remember from my first visit to Epcot in the 90s was the fountain. It's seriously gone ... forever? To be replaced with nothing but pavement, a gift shop and/or beer garden?

Bocabear

it appeared in some of the concept art to have a smaller fountain near the old location, but not the same spot...Losing the fountain was a tiny part of what we are losing...we are losing an entire side of the plaza of which the fountain was one element... To be replaced by nothing but a pink path It is going to be very odd and disorienting.

DreamfinderGuy

I try not to look at much old EPCOT media anymore because it’s incredibly depressing to see the magic that it held compared to the dumpster fire it is today, or the park that it’s becoming. This isn’t even exclusive to the 80s and 90s either. Even with Innoventions being as run down as it was in it’s last few years, it was certainly more exciting than what’s there now.

jt04

1. This is an interim step.
2. Much is yet to be decided on.

It is amazing people who have been here for a long time still don't understand the process and voice the same concerns with every new large scale project.

It is as if everything is being copy/pasted from DCA 2.0 or Pleasure Island's reimagining. Or TP 2000 claiming Galaxy's Edge a fiasco.

The concern trolling never ends. I'm convinced some of it is bought and paid for.

IMO.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

It is amazing people who have been here for a long time still don't understand the process and voice the same concerns with every new large scale project.

It is as if everything is being copy/pasted from DCA 2.0 or Pleasure Island's reimagining. Or TP 2000 claiming Galaxy's Edge a fiasco.

The concern trolling never ends. I'm convinced some of it is bought and paid for.

IMO.
Or, unlike yourself, it could be the genuine concerns of those who have actually visited the parks in the last decade. And I'm fairly certain there's not much of a market for "concern trolling" about EP. However, ranting on about everything being golden there....

NormC

IMO as someone who hasn't visited the parks since 1982.
😉

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

it appeared in some of the concept art to have a smaller fountain near the old location, but not the same spot...Losing the fountain was a tiny part of what we are losing...we are losing an entire side of the plaza of which the fountain was one element... To be replaced by nothing but a pink path It is going to be very odd and disorienting.

Wasn't there also some sort of "tree structure" that was interactive?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Besides the geodesic dome, the very first and most impressive thing I remember from my first visit to Epcot in the 90s was the fountain. It's seriously gone ... forever? To be replaced with nothing but pavement, a gift shop and/or beer garden?

Hardly.

What's going there has been the subject of this thread, a whole exposition in Epcot, presentations at conventions, on every blogger's blog, and on Disney's web site.

Do you really not know and are seriously inquiring? Or are you just venting?

Josh Hendy

Hardly.

What's going there has been the subject of this thread, a whole exposition in Epcot, presentations at conventions, on every blogger's blog, and on Disney's web site.

Do you really not know and are seriously inquiring? Or are you just venting?
Hardly what ... is the fountain and its integrated music gone, hardly gone, temporarily gone or still there. Is it going away, being transformed or is it being left as-is.

I am seriously asking. I haven't managed to keep up with 400 pages of this.

trainplane3

Hardly what ... is the fountain and its integrated music gone, hardly gone, temporarily gone or still there. Is it going away, being transformed or is it being left as-is.

Everything's gone. Leveled. The pictures of mousegear I posted on the last page? Look to the left. That's where the fountain was at.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

There will be another fountain, seemingly smaller going by the artist's concept. There will also be a walk-through interactive water feature. There will be a three tiered festival center. There will be some sort of interactive 'tree' thing. There will be a space for picnicking with some sort of entertainment (streetmosphere). There will be Walt statue. There will be a new QS and table service restaurant where Electric Umbrella was. And Mouse Gears will be newly reinvisioned merch center.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom