News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

jt04

SSE is part of current plans - nothing to decide. Seas is pre blue.

Imag is a mess.

Whats been discussed is it. Nothing more.

Last I read the budget has not been decided for SSE. Good to know other pavilions are still in different stages of reimagining. I agree the current spine project is defined except perhaps foliage. Which will be one of the more important aspects. Saw some recent pics of the arrival areas and am increasingly optimistic.

trainplane3

You would be.

SSE is approved, funded and green.
Slightly off topic but kinda on, are they messing around with the lighting on SSE? When I was down there last week it looked like one of the diffusers weren't on the yellow/orange lights on the West side (coming from the Seas). There was a solid round splotch of yellow/orange instead of the nice fade.

We noticed it but I didn't grab a picture from the side. You can almost see it in this picture:
o7F1xVb.jpg

Edit: Lighting on the refurb'd stores facing up under SSE also wasn't installed on the East side.
XjOGd7P.jpg

Yes, it's in portrait. I await the consequences 🤣 98% of the rest are landscape.

Last edited:

jt04

I'm actually okay with that.. because the more of a mess the more likely it's never going to get done.
That's fine, I'd rather have it dead DOA, than yet another half mess nightmare.

I'm optimistic they are no longer patching over the problems as that means they recognize a reimagining is the best option now.

Blue Sky is the next step in the process. Some day. After the 40th clearly.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Edit: Lighting on the refurb'd stores facing up under SSE also wasn't installed on the East side.

Yes, it's in portrait. I await the consequences 🤣 98% of the rest are landscape.
I may be wrong but I think they were in the process of upgrading the up lighting to LED as they finished the store work.
Can someone recap the main issues people have with this project so far? I'm not sure if I can handle going through 400 pages to catch up haha.
I would, but this is a family site.

jt04

Can someone recap the main issues people have with this project so far? I'm not sure if I can handle going through 400 pages to catch up haha.

Future World was unintentionally created with serious 'built-in obsolescence '. The problem grew increasingly more apparent with time. Long time and potential sponsors recognized this as did TWDC management including the board. A change became inevitable.

Fans of EPCOT Center are having to let go of the original vision and that has created some controversy in the heavily invested fan community. Both for and against change.

IMO.

EJ96

Last I read the budget has not been decided for SSE. Good to know other pavilions are still in different stages of reimagining. I agree the current spine project is defined except perhaps foliage. Which will be one of the more important aspects. Saw some recent pics of the arrival areas and am increasingly optimistic.
Future World was unintentionally created with serious 'built-in obsolescence '. The problem grew increasingly more apparent with time. Long time and potential sponsors recognized this as did TWDC management including the board. A change became inevitable.

Fans of EPCOT Center are having to let go of the original vision and that has created some controversy in the heavily invested fan community. Both for and against change.

IMO.

No, the company could have continued upholding the original theme of the park but decided against it in favor of IP synergy. Has nothing to do with pavilion sponsors ending their contracts.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

IMO.

Ummm... no. EPCOT Center was designed and built in the late 70's/early 80's. The Internet as we know it didn't even exist until the early 1990's. Technological advances didn't really begin to accelerate until the mid-to-late 90's. There was plenty of time for EPCOT Center to receive updates, but Eisner (and others, to be fair) decided to not invest what was necessary in the park. No "IMO" here, only facts.

What was built was built to be timeless, as long as it was maintained properly and updated when needed. Neither happened.

jt04

Ummm... no. EPCOT Center was designed and built in the late 70's/early 80's. The Internet as we know it didn't even exist until the early 1990's. Technological advances didn't really begin to accelerate until the mid-to-late 90's. There was plenty of time for EPCOT Center to receive updates, but Eisner (and others, to be fair) decided to not invest what was necessary in the park. No "IMO" here, only facts.

What was built was built to be timeless, as long as it was maintained properly and updated when needed. Neither happened.

The issue has never been if they could continually update the pavilions. The issue became practicality. And in the last 10 years it has become tech companies needing to protect their intellectual properties.

The latest challenge would have been the increasing political divide in the tech sector. For example, if the Energy pavilion still existed would it be pro or anti fracking. If you say present both sides you also divide your customer base. None of this plays to Disney's strengths as a company.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The issue has never been if they could continually update the pavilions. The issue became practicality. And in the last 10 years it has become tech companies needing to protect their intellectual properties.

The latest challenge would have been the increasing political divide in the tech sector. For example, if the Energy pavilion still existed would it be pro or anti fracking. If you say present both sides you also divide your customer base. None of this plays to Disney's strengths as a company.

The original UoE talked about and called for new and diverse sources of energy. How has that changed since 1982?

Mac Tonight

So instead they're going to unite their customer base by throwing in a totally out of place IP like Guardians???

Makes way more sense.

jt04

So instead they're going to unite their customer base by throwing in a totally out of place IP like Guardians???

Makes way more sense.

It unites 99% of the fanbase. These boards reflect about 1% of the fan base. If that. The average guest loves the ip infusion. That is why we see such large and growing crowds.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

IMO.

Everything has been hyper-politicized. There isn't an area of life that does not have political lines drawn through it.
It unites 99% of the fanbase. These boards reflect about 1% of the fan base. If that. The average guest loves the ip infusion. That is why we see such large and growing crowds.

May as well wrap this thread up. Jt has it all figured out.

So, jt, about that coffee in Orlando?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom