News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

trainplane3

A Wonders of Life pavilion edutainment ride about the future of medicine, hosted by Baymax!
No way. Get Deadpool to teach me about medicine and baby making.

On a IP note, I always joked about Disney buying the Star Trek franchise. It would be odd, but it was (usually) a series about the positivity of humanity coming to together and working through everything. Kind of like a Horizons style future (everything is good and look what we did). I don't want the mouse to own anymore IP's, but I feel like it could work with the original message of Epcot. Again though, I don't want this to happen (and don't think it will).

bclane

No way. Get Deadpool to teach me about medicine and baby making.

On a IP note, I always joked about Disney buying the Star Trek franchise. It would be odd, but it was (usually) a series about the positivity of humanity coming to together and working through everything. Kind of like a Horizons style future (everything is good and look what we did). I don't want the mouse to own anymore IP's, but I feel like it could work with the original message of Epcot. Again though, I don't want this to happen (and don't think it will).
I would totally support Star Trek at Epcot. Now that is an IP that actually fits Epcot imo.

Jones14

Yes and yes. Though happening should still be swapped for proposed.

Approval.... it’s always subjective. Given my feelings and emotions about this park I think it’s in the eye of the beholder. One or two I’m interesting in seeing the final results of.

Currently 2 billion-ish will have been spent on DHS by the time SWL opens. Add the not-happening parking structures, a certain coaster that’s being built in the MK and a projected E ticket for mid next decade are your edging towards 3 billion.
I assume the projected E Ticket is for Galaxy’s Edge phase 2?

bclane

I’m still holding out hope that Mickey will come to his senses and unexpectedly announce two additional E tickets and a kids play area for Galaxy’s Edge that will open along with the rest of it. In case he’s listening, I propose that one of the new E tickets is a speeder bike version of FoP and the other could be some kind of dark ride shooter game. Maybe something like a Storm Trooper training ride.

clemmo

So we’re on the same sheet, the project I mentioned and that you’ve quoted about is a long term aspiration that’s earmarked for DHS.
Yeah figured it would be long term but always good to hear they might at least recognize the need for more at DHS after TSL and SWGE.

ThemeParkJunkee

As I follow this thread, I become more and more disillusioned. At first I thought, hey, maybe a refocus is a good idea. Remove the Tombstones, add a bit of nature, eliminate wasted space. I keep reading and I don't think anyone wants Epcot to be Epcot anymore. Just another generic Disney park celebrating the IP of the DIS Company with a World Showcase randomly included. Please keep us informed @marni1971 . As a lover of Epcot. From the past, you are my favorite source.

Zeb Zoober

As I follow this thread, I become more and more disillusioned. At first I thought, hey, maybe a refocus is a good idea. Remove the Tombstones, add a bit of nature, eliminate wasted space. I keep reading and I don't think anyone wants Epcot to be Epcot anymore. Just another generic Disney park celebrating the IP of the DIS Company with a World Showcase randomly included. Please keep us informed @marni1971 . As a lover of Epcot. From the past, you are my favorite source.

I think many people still want Epcot to be Epcot, but everyone seems to have varying degrees of what they think Epcot should be. I personally am okay with them adding rides like Ratatouille since it at least has a connection to French culture. I'm not exactly a fan of Guardians of the Galaxy being in Epcot, but it is happening whether I like it or not. People accept it because we can't change it.

sedati

I’ve been doing a lot of new research on Communicore recently. Did you know in the public exhibit areas there was only one dividing wall? Everything else was open plan. With that, plus the total wrap around glazing (aside from Central and Futurechoice) no wonder it was so light, airy and welcoming.

It is so annoying they are sat on a hidden gem that could easily shine again - even for today’s requirements - with not a lot of expenditure. Much like the Imagination pavilion.

My impression of the layout of Future World and the visual impact of Communicore was greatly altered by my recent visit.

First I'll state that even after a long absence, I could navigate Epcot blindfolded. But I was genuinely surprised at how this park seemed to baffle my companions- all of whom had been clocking in annual visits for years. I was constantly turning them around or giving directions as no one seemed to know where any of these giant pavilions were. The Communicore buildings are a wall. Unless properly aligned, there are no weinies to draw you outward. Signage and logos were better in the past, but still, this is not a great way to direct the masses. I'll note that we didn't have these problems in the other parks- it was exclusive to Future World. This made me rethink the new color scheme (while jarring at first, not as bad in person IMHO.) I think this was done to break up the monotone design and create color zones to help differentiate not only East/West, but the specific areas inside. "Find the end done in browns, that's where Club Cool is," was a note I had to give several times.

In an odd and extreme example, I was shocked to find that someone had been to Epcot several times and never even knew about World Showcase. They had done the East/West stuff and simply never wandered to the back. I asked if they had noticed American Adventure which is fairly visible from the fountain area and they said that they thought it was a hotel or something- that it seemed too far away to think it was part of the park. It blew my mind, but I could see how it was possible. I also concluded that everyone I travel with should actually pick up and look at a map once in a while.

peter11435

My impression of the layout of Future World and the visual impact of Communicore was greatly altered by my recent visit.

First I'll state that even after a long absence, I could navigate Epcot blindfolded. But I was genuinely surprised at how this park seemed to baffle my companions- all of whom had been clocking in annual visits for years. I was constantly turning them around or giving directions as no one seemed to know where any of these giant pavilions were. The Communicore buildings are a wall. Unless properly aligned, there are no weinies to draw you outward. Signage and logos were better in the past, but still, this is not a great way to direct the masses. I'll note that we didn't have these problems in the other parks- it was exclusive to Future World. This made me rethink the new color scheme (while jarring at first, not as bad in person IMHO.) I think this was done to break up the monotone design and create color zones to help differentiate not only East/West, but the specific areas inside. "Find the end done in browns, that's where Club Cool is," was a note I had to give several times.

In an odd and extreme example, I was shocked to find that someone had been to Epcot several times and never even knew about World Showcase. They had done the East/West stuff and simply never wandered to the back. I asked if they had noticed American Adventure which is fairly visible from the fountain area and they said that they thought it was a hotel or something- that it seemed too far away to think it was part of the park. It blew my mind, but I could see how it was possible. I also concluded that everyone I travel with should actually pick up and look at a map once in a while.
I think you need new companions

Marc Davis Fan

I have the feeling that the plan to add lots of IPs to FW also does not bode well for the RoE replacement. I hope I'm wrong, but the IP-filled version seems more likely now...

*Q*

It’s slipped again to 22-3.

At this rate I’d be surprised if it happens at all as planned. Which may be a blessing. One can hope.

I wouldn't mind if the entire overhaul was scrapped but I'd still hope they take a paint brush to that awful color scheme in Future World and remove the tombstones ... that's all I'd really want. Remove the pin station in the hub plaza. Remove the tarps. Add some trees. That's all I'd really be asking for ... lol (and they can trim some of the overgrown planters too)

No need to raze the buildings but I'd rather they not sit empty though just for the sake of preserving them.

Do they not realize the mess that is the aesthetics of Future World?
Here's the thing, they don't need to spend a ton on the spine. Most of what they should do is just remove clutter, otherwise just add some trees, maybe some water features, and figure out some content to fill the buildings with. They don't need to reinvent the wheel here, there's still a strong foundation.

Frankiepopsicles

Yes and yes. Though happening should still be swapped for proposed.

Approval.... it’s always subjective. Given my feelings and emotions about this park I think it’s in the eye of the beholder. One or two I’m interesting in seeing the final results of.

Currently 2 billion-ish will have been spent on DHS by the time SWL opens. Add the not-happening parking structures, a certain coaster that’s being built in the MK and a projected E ticket for mid next decade are your edging towards 3 billion.

I hope there is more than one E-Ticket projected for the next decade

Last edited:

Rosso11

I hope there is more than one E-Ticket projected for the next decade

There has to be. We know what they are opening for 2019 to coincide with the influx of people with Star Wars. We have a decent idea what they are planning for with Disney World's 50th Anniversary in 2021. Still hoping for a few big surprises there. But I think the big question is what will they build for 2023 the big world wide celebration marking the 100th Anniversary of the company. With the influx of people they are expecting over the next few years they are going to want to keep the momentum going. The fact that they are adding so many new hotel rooms shows me they plan on continuing expansion at a greater rate. They finally realized the parks don't have to be this mature segment of their business with little growth potential in their domestic parks. The potential is there and it finally seems like they have realized this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom