News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I drove by this area (pic courtesy of Bioreconstruct) last week as we had to park waaaay on that side of the parking lot, and it seems there's a lot more land clearing where the GOTG show building is supposed to go....like much more than would be required if I was to guess. Anyone know if they're doing something else with that area in addition to the GOTG building?

DRr3pq0VQAAsp8P.jpg:large

Almost all of that land being cleared is for new storm water retention ponds.

mikejs78

Premium Member
There are people with good ideas. It just depends on if they’re the ones listened to. I know of a very good, sympathetic yet modern overhaul of the spine. I know of a pretty hideous one. And I know of a frankly unbelievable one, and not in a good way. It will certainly be make or break as far as I’m personally concerned.

As far as I know Brazil is still stuck in red tape and paperwork.

Let's hope the first of these is what wins out.

MrHappy

There are people with good ideas. It just depends on if they’re the ones listened to. I know of a very good, sympathetic yet modern overhaul of the spine. I know of a pretty hideous one. And I know of a frankly unbelievable one, and not in a good way. It will certainly be make or break as far as I’m personally concerned.

As far as I know Brazil is still stuck in red tape and paperwork.
@marni1971, @Magic Feather, why would Disney release that crazy concept art at D23? You seemed to make a clear effort to convey that it was blue sky during the freak-out fallout of the design release....perhaps knowing it was far from final. But why would Disney even release it and speak to it publicly? Do they do this sort of thing as a form of market research? Gauge reaction...see how far the public would allow them to push? Re-establish the standard so the new extreme isn't at least as extreme as the blue sky?

Viget

WotW? new show acronym for Epcot?

Guessing "Wonders of the World"? With a possible double entendre on World to mean the Earth and WDW itself...

Possibly another acronym off of Marni's cryptic list?

"Probably. I could talk about **GE (confimed to SWGE, new Star Wars land). WRTW. 220 (theorized to refer to the new space restaurant given a previous "I'm hungry. 220." clue, and 220 miles is the ISS altitude in LEO). LSE. WoW. WC."

Either of those could be this, I think.

Lots of W's in that list, is there going to be a heavy tilt to emphasizing the "World" aspect of WDW for its 50th anniversary?

Jeffxz

Guessing "Wonders of the World"? With a possible double entendre on World to mean the Earth and WDW itself...

Possibly another acronym off of Marni's cryptic list?

"Probably. I could talk about **GE (confimed to SWGE, new Star Wars land). WRTW. 220 (theorized to refer to the new space restaurant given a previous "I'm hungry. 220." clue, and 220 miles is the ISS altitude in LEO). LSE. WoW. WC."

Either of those could be this, I think.

Lots of W's in that list, is there going to be a heavy tilt to emphasizing the "World" aspect of WDW for its 50th anniversary?

From the coco thread:

At the moment it’s Windows on the World.

Much prefer Skydance. Although the RoE replacement is jumping around the calendar so much perhaps the name will change again.

Sonconato

I drove by this area (pic courtesy of Bioreconstruct) last week as we had to park waaaay on that side of the parking lot, and it seems there's a lot more land clearing where the GOTG show building is supposed to go....like much more than would be required if I was to guess. Anyone know if they're doing something else with that area in addition to the GOTG building?
DRr3pq0VQAAsp8P.jpg:large
I'm thinking they just don't like trees anymore! ;):joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

SpaceMountain77

I know @marni1971 hinted at the EPCOT Center name returning a while ago. Is this still a heavy possibility? And with a possible (slight) name change, would pavilion logos (original or new) be brought with it?

Personally, I believe it would be disingenuous to rechristen the park Epcot Center. Unless sincere effort is made to celebrate human achievement and cultural awareness, then there is no reason to return to a name who's message has long been lost. If anything, it should really become Disney Festival Center because the name would accurately capture the current spirit.

trainplane3

Personally, I believe it would be disingenuous to rechristen the park Epcot Center. Unless sincere effort is made to celebrate human achievement and cultural awareness, then there is no reason to return to a name who's message has long been lost. If anything, it should really become Disney Festival Center because the name would accurately capture the current spirit.
I agree. I didn't mean to ask it like it was a good thing. I was curious if it was still a possibility. I would like to something similar to the original pavilion logos return. It's nice having a simple symbol represent a pavilion. Besides, the original logos are just too good not to use especially in the day of bold, clean, UI.

solidyne

I agree. I didn't mean to ask it like it was a good thing. I was curious if it was still a possibility. I would like to something similar to the original pavilion logos return. It's nice having a simple symbol represent a pavilion. Besides, the original logos are just too good not to use especially in the day of bold, clean, UI.
Another vote here for the symbols/logos. I loved those. Sometimes the littlest (and easiest, cheapest) things contribute the most to theming and imagination. C'mon Disney, it's not that hard!

trainplane3

It’s slipped again to 22-3.

At this rate I’d be surprised if it happens at all as planned. Which may be a blessing. One can hope.
Well, it'd be nice if they could put more "stuff" into the CC buildings if it's being pushed back. And while they're at it, they can repaint the buildings white/off-white to get rid of the screwy paint job.

Being there over the summer was quite a bummer (I rhyme, yo). With the buildings basically being closed off, Epcot lost a couple small, but fun things to do.

Kman101

It’s slipped again to 22-3.

At this rate I’d be surprised if it happens at all as planned. Which may be a blessing. One can hope.

I wouldn't mind if the entire overhaul was scrapped but I'd still hope they take a paint brush to that awful color scheme in Future World and remove the tombstones ... that's all I'd really want. Remove the pin station in the hub plaza. Remove the tarps. Add some trees. That's all I'd really be asking for ... lol (and they can trim some of the overgrown planters too)

No need to raze the buildings but I'd rather they not sit empty though just for the sake of preserving them.

Do they not realize the mess that is the aesthetics of Future World?

Marc Davis Fan

I wouldn't mind if the entire overhaul was scrapped but I'd still hope they take a paint brush to that awful color scheme in Future World and remove the tombstones ... that's all I'd really want. Remove the pin station in the hub plaza. Remove the tarps. Add some trees. That's all I'd really be asking for ...

Do they not realize the mess that is the aesthetics of Future World?

Well-stated! This is the exact list of changes that would take Future World from being an unacceptable-quality land (aesthetic-wise) for a Disney park, to being nice-looking. It would be a minimal cost, and the changes are all things that would happen in any overhaul plan (removal of tarps, etc), so they wouldn't be spending extra by doing these things now.

A few more things I might add:

1. Replace the Mouse Gear and Electric Umbrella signage with more subdued variations that fit FW's aesthetic (like the "Fountain View" sign does).

2. Change the Starbucks signage on Fountain View to something non-generic and more subdued (i.e., as it appears in the other three parks).

3. Remove the "Innoventions" wrap from windowpanes.

Combining this with your removal of tarps and pin station, etc., and we might just have a beautiful place in the center of Future World again! Look how easy that was!

Last edited:

Kman101

Well-stated! This is the exact list of changes that would take Future World from being an unacceptable-quality land (aesthetic-wise) for a Disney park, to being nice-looking. It would be a minimal cost, and the changes are all things that would happen in any overhaul plan (removal of tarps, etc), so they wouldn't be spending extra by doing these things now.

A few more things I might add:

1. Replace the Mouse Gear and Electric Umbrella signage with more subdued variations that fit FW's aesthetic (like the "Fountain View" sign does).

2. Change the Starbucks signage on Fountain View to something non-generic and more subdued (i.e., as it appears in the other three parks).

3. Remove the "Innoventions" wrap from windowpanes.

Combining this with your removal of tarps and pin station, etc., and we might just have a beautiful place in the center of Future World again! Look how easy that was!

Agreed with all of this! It wouldn't be a lot in the grand scheme of things, even if the list seems lengthy.

The tombstones and paint scheme are my main issues with the tarps and pin station coming in after that.

I also forgot to add I'd like a re-do of Electric Umbrella. A better interior would be nice as well but that could be pushing it lol. The Space restaurant seems promising though.

Good points on the signage as well. I like the Fountain View sign, I'd stick with that thematic direction, the look of the exterior and the signage. I don't recall the interior being anything too special compared to the other parks' Starbucks but it serves it's purpose.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom