News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

brb1006

I hope they would make a movie starring Figment especially since he gained a new audience with Marvels recent comics about him and Dream Finder. Wouldn't be surprised if left in the hands of Marvel that they would create a great animated film for the theater.
@Tahu and I think that should be turned into an animated film instead. It would be a good reintroduction to the duo to the next generation and giving more exposure to the characters in public.

Captain Neo

The Land is to the left of where this art ends.
Imagination is the dark area on bottom left.

Just use the monorail beam as a guideline to where everything is

Ok I get that big shadowed building is Imagination but I'm still not seeing the land building. I don't even get what that is in front of it is it some huge island with a maze of walkways like animal kingdom? It looks like a total mess and the other side looks like they are putting tons of ugly rock work that will clog walkways like the enterance of Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

kthomas105

I think the biggest take away from the concept art is the absence of Communicore or Inoventions. It is hard to go back on a big noticeable change like that even if the concept is just blue sky, even the most causal of guest can look at the art and notice the absence of those buildings. With that said I'm not really upset over the loss of the majority or all of Communicore. I don't think the true purpose of the spaces were ever truly realized and the investments made over the years seem to have continually watered down the essence and spirit of that section of the park. In my opinion it is probably best to start with a clean slate; my confidence in a quality renovation or addition is low. The current leadership cannot (or will not) justify the investment needed to bring this space back to its original design or intent and to be truthful I don't think the original intent is sustainable in the internet age. It currently is just a retail and food service building anyways. I think there are positives and negatives to loosing Communicore but in my opinion the positives are greater than the negatives. I personally think the removal of these buildings would create a grander feel and show off more of the interesting architecture of the pavilions. EPCOT is a massive park and removing Communicore will only magnify that feeling, which in and of itself could be awe inspiring. My take on the concept art is that there is a ton of options for EPCOT in the days ahead even if only a few of them happen I think it is a net gain for a park that has become very stagnate and tired.

Now for my personal blue sky idea. I think EPCOT is the one park that could support professional and intellectual conferences. Instead of the conference occurring in a hotel ballroom it happens inside the park. Disney could charge special rates that include a limited access ticket of sorts which could be upgraded by attendees. Think if Disney hosted a Ted Talk during a non peak period that required a park ticket to attend. They could build this space below ground in the center of the park offering plenty of space and no sight line issues. I think it should be said this was also my idea for Communicore if it stayed standing. The closest example I can point to is the theater Apple has built on its new campus. The entrance is above ground but the rest of the building is completely underground. This could also be connected to the underground service tunnels currently in that area. I know there are issues or rebuttals to be had with my plan but I think it offers flexible alternatives that are close to the original intent for this space and would work in this decade. Here are some photos of the theater built by Apple on their new campus:
Apple Theater Pic 3.jpg
Apple Theater Pic 2.jpg

Apple Theater Pic 1.jpg

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
My opinion...

If you look closely they are trying to group the pavilions. They are making lands. On the left, is Earth. Walk through a forest with elevated pathways, trees and waterfalls etc. The Land and Living Seas.

On the right, is Space or Exploration. Guardians and Mission. Wonders will become something with this theme.

I just haven't figured out Test or Imagination.

As much as we may or may not hate the idea of IPCOT at least they are updating for this and future generations. If they did not EPCOT would be the dated park it is becoming. Can't change Future World every 5 years. At least they are still using Disney magic.

Last edited:

SpoiledBlueMilk

I think the biggest take away from the concept art is the absence of Communicore or Inoventions. It is hard to go back on a big noticeable change like that even if the concept is just blue sky, even the most causal of guest can look at the art and notice the absence of those buildings. With that said I'm not really upset over the loss of the majority or all of Communicore. I don't think the true purpose of the spaces were ever truly realized and the investments made over the years seem to have continually watered down the essence and spirit of that section of the park. In my opinion it is probably best to start with a clean slate; my confidence in a quality renovation or addition is low. The current leadership cannot (or will not) justify the investment needed to bring this space back to its original design or intent and to be truthful I don't think the original intent is sustainable in the internet age. It currently is just a retail and food service building anyways. I think there are positives and negatives to loosing Communicore but in my opinion the positives are greater than the negatives. I personally think the removal of these buildings would create a grander feel and show off more of the interesting architecture of the pavilions. EPCOT is a massive park and removing Communicore will only magnify that feeling, which in and of itself could be awe inspiring. My take on the concept art is that there is a ton of options for EPCOT in the days ahead even if only a few of them happen I think it is a net gain for a park that has become very stagnate and tired.

Now for my personal blue sky idea. I think EPCOT is the one park that could support professional and intellectual conferences. Instead of the conference occurring in a hotel ballroom it happens inside the park. Disney could charge special rates that include a limited access ticket of sorts which could be upgraded by attendees. Think if Disney hosted a Ted Talk during a non peak period that required a park ticket to attend. They could build this space below ground in the center of the park offering plenty of space and no sight line issues. I think it should be said this was also my idea for Communicore if it stayed standing. The closest example I can point to is the theater Apple has built on its new campus. The entrance is above ground but the rest of the building is completely underground. This could also be connected to the underground service tunnels currently in that area. I know there are issues or rebuttals to be had with my plan but I think it offers flexible alternatives that are close to the original intent for this space and would work in this decade. Here are some photos of the theater built by Apple on their new campus:View attachment 215983 View attachment 215984
View attachment 215985

I love this idea. Orlando is a major conference hub - why not take advantage of that? They should develop their own version of TED - or bring TED into Epcot. I know the average family of 4 won't want to sit through one of those, but I sure as hell would. I bet a number of companies would love to hold their event in the park and book a block of rooms at the Dolphin/Swan for it.

Horizonsfan

I know it's low on the excitement index, but given Odyssey is still there in that rendering, is there a plan to refurbish it as a counter service restaurant? Seems like a natural replacement for Electric Umbrella. Sure would have some great views of those new fountains...

Timothy_Q

I just wished they expanded the park's overall footprint for the image - what would Epcot look like beyond the original borders?

They can't even figure out what to do with what's already there, you want them to expand it?

I feel like if Iger could, he'd buldoze the entire park and build a generic DHS / DCA / WDS in its place

Captain Neo

My opinion...

If you look closely they are trying to group the pavilions. They are making lands. On the left, is Earth. Walk through a forest with elevated pathways, trees and waterfalls etc. The Land and Living Seas.

On the right, is Space or Exploration. Guardians and Mission. Wonders will become something with this theme.

I just haven't figured out Test or Imagination.

As much as we may or may not hate the idea of IPCOT at least they are updating for this and future generations. If they did not EPCOT would be the dated park it is becoming. Can't change Future World every 5 years. At least they are still using Disney magic.

According to Martin the blue sky concept for Wonders of Life is to become a guardians of the galaxy pavillion themed to Knowhere

Herbie

Not sure this has been posted, but it seems there is a maze area in between the Land and Imagination, similar to the Project Gemini proposal?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom