News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

2351metalcloud

Here's a recent commercial that features Epcot. I guess it's made for kids who see it.

Fans of old school Epcot might find it ...odd. Although, it's just about new stuff there.

Last edited:

Wikkler

Here's a recent commercial that features Epcot. I guess it's made for kids who see it.

Fans of old school Epcot might find it ...odd.

Would a kid, however Frozen obsessed, remember Sven, let alone wonder at seeing Sven in a ride?

Also, I think they're presenting Turtle Talk like it's new instead of 12 or 13 years old (I forget). But that's okay, if you make a slight alteration, then it counts as a new attraction. Surprised they're not marketing their new "extra-finger" RnRC.

"Walt Disney World is Frozen" holy moly they actually addressed the staleness of new quality additions.

Mike S

Fans of old school Epcot might find it ...odd. Although, it's just about new stuff there.

"Walt Disney World is Frozen"
Jack-Nick-Blink.gif

"Walt Disney World is Frozen" holy moly they actually addressed the staleness of new quality additions.
:hilarious:

Dizney Crew

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with the TV spot. This prob shows only on Disney Junior and that's Disney's target audience, if this if the route Disney is going with EPCOT I don't have a prob with it. Sure I grew up with the original WS concept as a kid, and quite honestly I thought it was boring back then cept for Horizons, WOM and Imagination, rarely did we ever watch the videos/shows in WS, cause they were pretty boring back then as a kid. Right now we don't even take our daughter to WS cept to see Frozen which she loves, sorry WS is an over priced bar and thats it right now. Hopefully a few more rides in WS regardless if their IP based or not will make this more of a family park in line with MK.

Rodan75

There's an awful lot of rumour flying around yes, and not all of it true. Nothing to do with the lay offs. Chapek has certainly ordered IPs to be fast tracked. Even if they don't fit. Uncle Bob told him to.

There has also finally been an acknowledgement that Epcot is in dire need. That and the IP push seem to be the way to fix it.

Good news that they get Epcot needs help...I didn't expect it to get any more attention until after SWL opened. It will be interesting to see what projects go green and how quickly they are scheduled.

Thank you for all the info and hints at what is and is not valid.

brb1006

Would a kid, however Frozen obsessed, remember Sven, let alone wonder at seeing Sven in a ride?

Also, I think they're presenting Turtle Talk like it's new instead of 12 or 13 years old (I forget). But that's okay, if you make a slight alteration, then it counts as a new attraction. Surprised they're not marketing their new "extra-finger" RnRC.

And here's an old commercial promoting Epcot

FigmentForver96

Honestly I don't see anything wrong with the TV spot. This prob shows only on Disney Junior and that's Disney's target audience, if this if the route Disney is going with EPCOT I don't have a prob with it. Sure I grew up with the original WS concept as a kid, and quite honestly I thought it was boring back then cept for Horizons, WOM and Imagination, rarely did we ever watch the videos/shows in WS, cause they were pretty boring back then as a kid. Right now we don't even take our daughter to WS cept to see Frozen which she loves, sorry WS is an over priced bar and thats it right now. Hopefully a few more rides in WS regardless if their IP based or not will make this more of a family park in line with MK.
No park, not even Magic Kingdom should ever EVER be geared to children. For one thing the parks were never made for children but for families, families that could be made up of adults and children, adults and teens or just adults. This is the problem with marketing today. They've pushed the narrative that Disney is a kid company that revoles around this idea of Mickey and princesses when Disney was much more then that. Even Walt didn't gear his shows towards just children or his movies. He talked science, and adventure and concepts that adults and children would love.

It's sad if we believe that kids today can only be entertained by colors, and Mickey and friends. EPCOT Center was a delight to children and adults alike when it opened. You may have found it boring but many children did not. In fact many of the children that experinced the park are the ones who lament when the company makes such lazy choices for the park.

EPCOT Center explored the concepts of humankind and how we all play a part in building the future. The only reason it would be boring at all is because they have refused to properly invest in the park.

articos

As far as Sea Base Alpha is concerned, it was a very clever way to present what is primarily a giant aquarium. It wasn't, in my mind, an effort to point out that in the future there would be a zillion of these under the surface. If we get honest, you can watch fish swim around in a tank just so long before you go brain dead. This was an interesting way to introduce it. The Hydrolators were shear genius. Want to know why I think that they no longer exist? Because it was a genius creation and the folks, that primarily keep their I.Q.'s in a thimble, actually believed that they were submerging and returning. They have had lawsuits brought by people that decided that the change in pressure from one level to another caused them medical problems. It wasn't worth it to keep in operation, plus they might have been getting to the point of disrepair as well. The system could have continued working with this theme as a nice little fantasy part of the pavilion. It was nice that Nemo gave them a reason to reinstate the sea cabs and the introduction of the characters helped to "educate" kids in a way that they really didn't know they were being educated. Nemo was just a different Hydrolator.
The hydrolators were removed for a number of reasons. The pavilion originally had a cohesive story that included a journey. United Technologies was very proud of their Otis Elevator division, and they were able to show off their Otis brand via the Hydrolators. (They also supplied some of the parts.) However, Ops always had issues with them. It caused a bottleneck point where it was harder to get people in and out of the attraction. As Epcot's numbers grew and guests' attention spans shrank there was the need to get people in and out of the attraction quicker. There were complaints from guests who wanted a quick exit with their kids, and they didn't want to wait on a hydrolator to leave. It also caused extra staffing needs (costs) within the attraction to move people through. When the attraction was up for renovation, without a sponsor to fight for the hydrolators, the emphasis was on Nemo and the Seacab renovation and allowing guests to get in and out easily. The thought process was Epcot's guests wanted shorter experiences and Epcot needed to change - so the lengthy story based, multi-stage attractions like The Living Seas and Universe of Energy were out of favor.

And I agree, the hydrolators were fantastic.

Last edited:

articos

No park, not even Magic Kingdom should ever EVER be geared to children. For one thing the parks were never made for children but for families, families that could be made up of adults and children, adults and teens or just adults. This is the problem with marketing today. They've pushed the narrative that Disney is a kid company that revoles around this idea of Mickey and princesses when Disney was much more then that. Even Walt didn't gear his shows towards just children or his movies. He talked science, and adventure and concepts that adults and children would love.

It's sad if we believe that kids today can only be entertained by colors, and Mickey and friends. EPCOT Center was a delight to children and adults alike when it opened. You may have found it boring but many children did not. In fact many of the children that experinced the park are the ones who lament when the company makes such lazy choices for the park.

EPCOT Center explored the concepts of humankind and how we all play a part in building the future. The only reason it would be boring at all is because they have refused to properly invest in the park.
Agreed. Walt and his team built the parks for families of all ages. They never designed for kids only. Epcot worked because it was NOT designed for kids, but kids were inspired by the park's forward thinking, futuristic technology, clean design and cultural experiences. It did not talk down to them, and it succeeded - it inspired - by doing that.

brb1006

I miss when Disney made commercials like these for Walt Disney World.

Last edited:

brb1006

Agreed. Walt and his team built the parks for families of all ages. They never designed for kids only. Epcot worked because it was NOT designed for kids, but kids were inspired by the park's forward thinking, futuristic technology, clean design and cultural experiences. It did not talk down to them, and it succeeded - it inspired - by doing that.
S1-800x600.jpg

Ripken10

There's an awful lot of rumour flying around yes, and not all of it true. Nothing to do with the lay offs. Chapek has certainly ordered IPs to be fast tracked. Even if they don't fit. Uncle Bob told him to.

There has also finally been an acknowledgement that Epcot is in dire need. That and the IP push seem to be the way to fix it.
Marni - I would be interested to know which of the rumors you can talk about you are most excited about and which you are least excited about...like could you rank them. You wouldn't be giving anything away, but would certainly peak some peoples interest in the ones you are more excited (maybe excited is not the right word...)

RoysCabin

I absolutely do not intend to say that your opinion is somehow invalid or that you're not welcomed to your own tastes and preferences, but I do want to ask, why should EPCOT be made to be "in line with" MK outside of the overall art and broader design concepts of Disney theme parks? Given that WDW is as large as it is, is it not possible to have among the four (who knows, maybe more in the future?) parks a different vibe and style among each? I think many here feel the "blessing of size" that Disney has in Florida is a boon toward variety, offering something for everybody who could potentially visit, rather than moving toward a homogenized style.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom