News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Ralphlaw

Given my DVR, I hardly watch commercials any more. Nevertheless, the ad a few years ago with the Mom and Dad becoming young along with their kids was great. At the end. they see their reflections in a Main Street window, and they're actually adults. Genius.

It was similar to the one a few years back with the adult children wondering what Grandma and Grandpa could possibly be doing at Disney World, "Taking naps, sitting on benches." Of course, Grandpa and Grandma are having the time of their lives on all the rides, watching the fireworks, and eating a great dinner.

There was also the one with the little boy who is sad because he never saw Mickey during his trip. Finally, at the end, Mickey is there waving to him as he goes running over. There must be some pollen in the air because my eyes just watered up.

Anyhow, I also liked the older man on Main Street going on about how great it was for the family to be altogether when his wife pipes up and says, "Are you done? I want to go ride Space Mountain." The man responds, "I love Space Mountain." And off they go.

Great ads are a Disney tradition, and Mickey on the top of Spaceship Earth was classic. The recent one with the Desk clerk in her fairy wings is good too, with Stormtroopers marching through the Grand Floridian.

Finally, YouTube "Darth Vader at Disneyland." I never saw this bit on TV, but it is hilarious.

Yup, utterly off topic, but I'll bring it home with a: "Plus it with uplift. Don't dumb it with rehash." Translation: If you're going to use an IP, don't just rehash the movie, do something great with it. And keep up the great ads too whydontcha.

Matt_Black

Given my DVR, I hardly watch commercials any more. Nevertheless, the ad a few years ago with the Mom and Dad becoming young along with their kids was great. At the end. they see their reflections in a Main Street window, and they're actually adults. Genius.

It was similar to the one a few years back with the adult children wondering what Grandma and Grandpa could possibly be doing at Disney World, "Taking naps, sitting on benches." Of course, Grandpa and Grandma are having the time of their lives on all the rides, watching the fireworks, and eating a great dinner.

There was also the one with the little boy who is sad because he never saw Mickey during his trip. Finally, at the end, Mickey is there waving to him as he goes running over. There must be some pollen in the air because my eyes just watered up.

Anyhow, I also liked the older man on Main Street going on about how great it was for the family to be altogether when his wife pipes up and says, "Are you done? I want to go ride Space Mountain." The man responds, "I love Space Mountain." And off they go.

Great ads are a Disney tradition, and Mickey on the top of Spaceship Earth was classic. The recent one with the Desk clerk in her fairy wings is good too, with Stormtroopers marching through the Grand Floridian.

Finally, YouTube "Darth Vader at Disneyland." I never saw this bit on TV, but it is hilarious.

Yup, utterly off topic, but I'll bring it home with a: "Plus it with uplift. Don't dumb it with rehash." Translation: If you're going to use an IP, don't just rehash the movie, do something great with it. And keep up the great ads too whydontcha.

I liked this one, personally.

Goofyernmost

The hydrolators were removed for a number of reasons. The pavilion originally had a cohesive story that included a journey. United Technologies was very proud of their Otis Elevator division, and they were able to show off their Otis brand via the Hydrolators. (They also supplied some of the parts.) However, Ops always had issues with them. It caused a bottleneck point where it was harder to get people in and out of the attraction. As Epcot's numbers grew and guests' attention spans shrank there was the need to get people in and out of the attraction quicker. There were complaints from guests who wanted a quick exit with their kids, and they didn't want to wait on a hydrolator to leave. It also caused extra staffing needs (costs) within the attraction to move people through. When the attraction was up for renovation, without a sponsor to fight for the hydrolators, the emphasis was on Nemo and the Seacab renovation and allowing guests to get in and out easily. The thought process was Epcot's guests wanted shorter experiences and Epcot needed to change - so the lengthy story based, multi-stage attractions like The Living Seas and Universe of Energy were out of favor.

And I agree, the hydrolators were fantastic.
So, people that have no sense of fun are the ones responsible for the demise of one of the best gimmicks in the park. I guess that's why we can't have anything nice anymore. And everyone want to blame Disney for reacting to the public at large.

CanadianGordon

One of the sites I follow is trumpeting the "news" about a roller coaster going in place of Ellen's Energy Adventure... Yet no official word from Disney yet...

Mike S

I agree but I don't really care for the recent ones that focus on the hotels as "the best part of a Walt Disney World vacation."

brb1006

That Mickey commercial reminds me of this one.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marni - I would be interested to know which of the rumors you can talk about you are most excited about and which you are least excited about...like could you rank them. You wouldn't be giving anything away, but would certainly peak some peoples interest in the ones you are more excited (maybe excited is not the right word...)
Well... if anyone is interested in what I think...

The Energy and GMR replacements should be very good. They're just in the wrong place. Again. Guardians is the wrong park, the GMR shouldn't close for Mickey. DHS needs all the new capacity it can get. Stick it in an Art Deco warehouse on Sunset Market. Stick in where the Animation building is. So many lost opportunities.

The two SWL attractions I expect to be rather spectacular. The land will look great too, albeit a bit small. Toy Story land I'm afraid will be something to use to get to SWL. Thematically and content wise it's a lost opportunity. For any demographic.

Plans for the Innoventions buildings are interesting. Innoventions was long dead anyway and Communicore will never return.

I'm quite excited about plans for Showcase too. If they all come to fruition. And so long as they add to and not replace current features.

startraveler

Well... if anyone is interested in what I think...

The Energy and GMR replacements should be very good. They're just in the wrong place. Again. Guardians is the wrong park, the GMR shouldn't close for Mickey. DHS needs all the new capacity it can get. Stick it in an Art Deco warehouse on Sunset Market. Stick in where the Animation building is. So many lost opportunities.

The two SWL attractions I expect to be rather spectacular. The land will look great too, albeit a bit small. Toy Story land I'm afraid will be something to use to get to SWL. Thematically and content wise it's a lost opportunity. For any demographic.

Plans for the Innoventions buildings are interesting. Innoventions was long dead anyway and Communicore will never return.

I'm quite excited about plans for Showcase too. If they all come to fruition. And so long as they add to and not replace current features.

I am a fan of the traditional Disney attractions for sure, but as a wheelchair user I am interested I your opinion about whether I will be losing rides like Ellen and GMR to be replaced with rides that have a difficult or impossible transfer. What about the showcase and other hush hush possible attractions? Should I expect them to be of the thrill variety? I love the old longer, animatronic based rides with an educational basis, but I guess I can adjust to change if I is the type of attraction I can take advantage of. Thanks

Clamman73

Would it be too much to hope that amongst Star Lord's 70's & 80's pop hits, we happen upon "Energy - You Make the World Go Round" ?

Seriously, there is an early 80's tie in to be made between GotG and Epcot... Besides that, not much.
image.jpeg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am a fan of the traditional Disney attractions for sure, but as a wheelchair user I am interested I your opinion about whether I will be losing rides like Ellen and GMR to be replaced with rides that have a difficult or impossible transfer. What about the showcase and other hush hush possible attractions? Should I expect them to be of the thrill variety? I love the old longer, animatronic based rides with an educational basis, but I guess I can adjust to change if I is the type of attraction I can take advantage of. Thanks
Guardians I'm not sure of the procedure, and if it'll be different from say Thundermountain. Mickeys Movie Ride - as far as I know - will cater very well for you.

erider

Wow, Marni, Thanks for the recap and your opinion on future additions. I must say I am very excited that they finally plan to invest some serious money in the stale WDW offerings. Especially if they are well themed big e-ticket rides. I do hope capacitity will be taken into consideration enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom