News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Matt_Black

I've been wondering for awhile about the impact of home video and streaming on theme park, too, whether the push to create lands or attractions that completely replicate a film is misguided because people already have the DVDs at home (or have a Netflix account), or if that push is because people can so perfectly recite a film due to seeing it repeatedly at home, as opposed to older flicks where the audience would only be able to remember whatever aspects of them happened to stand out the most upon their first viewing.

That's a good point, as that changed a lot in culture. For instance, film criticism as an actual field of academic and artistic study was enabled by the home video market. Certainly, it had existed before, but it didn't have quite the reach or credibility as other fields in the arts.

awheartsdw

I am glad siemens with stay as I love SSE. However, can they fix the horrible historical inaccuracy of Michelangelo lying down? That drives me crazy and I constantly embarrass my DW and DD every time when I yell out "thats not how he painted". :) Right @awheartsdw
That's fine, we will just continue to ignore you and know that you're "that old guy yelling at a ride" :p

Rodan75

@marni1971 It seems like the rumor mill has exploded lately and it seems like it had been pretty quiet for awhile (outside of the SWL/TSL speculation). The volume of changes being rumored seems to exceed the budget that was approved last year.

Do you think this is 1. WDI folks got laid off so now they are telling everyone what they are working on regardless of its stage of development or approval. or 2. That Chapek has put renovation and IP integration on the fast track as the next big 'method' of increasing profitability at the domestic parks?

Or 3. do you think the rumor sites have gone off the rails and are promoting anything and everything to drive clickbait.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
@marni1971 It seems like the rumor mill has exploded lately and it seems like it had been pretty quiet for awhile (outside of the SWL/TSL speculation). The volume of changes being rumored seems to exceed the budget that was approved last year.

Do you think this is 1. WDI folks got laid off so now they are telling everyone what they are working on regardless of its stage of development or approval. or 2. That Chapek has put renovation and IP integration on the fast track as the next big 'method' of increasing profitability at the domestic parks?

Or 3. do you think the rumor sites have gone off the rails and are promoting anything and everything to drive clickbait.

There's an awful lot of rumour flying around yes, and not all of it true. Nothing to do with the lay offs. Chapek has certainly ordered IPs to be fast tracked. Even if they don't fit. Uncle Bob told him to.

There has also finally been an acknowledgement that Epcot is in dire need. That and the IP push seem to be the way to fix it.

alissafalco

There's an awful lot of rumour flying around yes, and not all of it true. Nothing to do with the lay offs. Chapek has certainly ordered IPs to be fast tracked. Even if they don't fit. Uncle Bob told him to.

There has also finally been an acknowledgement that Epcot is in dire need. That and the IP push seem to be the way to fix it.
and to extend the festivals? ;)

gmajew

Premium Member
I still hold out hope that they can find a way to use IP and still keep it with the feel of Epcot... Now I know the original Epcot is dead but at least maybe we can get something that brings life into this park in a way that can keep it from becoming just a thrill park... And maybe even keep it with some educational direction and messaging.... I hope

Earl Sweatpants

I still hold out hope that they can find a way to use IP and still keep it with the feel of Epcot... Now I know the original Epcot is dead but at least maybe we can get something that brings life into this park in a way that can keep it from becoming just a thrill park... And maybe even keep it with some educational direction and messaging.... I hope

Well, I'm hopeful also...but nothing about the direction the current "big decision makers" are seeming to take gives me much confidence.

clemmo

You did say some of the changes we will like so hopefully it's not all ip or at least the ip's used make sense. As for rumors not being true I really hope SGE leaving has some merit and it hopefully will happen relatively soon.

mimitchi33

The Imagination! rumor has me excited. I've always wanted an Inside Out ride, and I'd ride it every single day of my life (I'm moving to Flroida in a few years) if it did happen. Especially if it has Bing Bong in it.
About them moving Figment to Tommorowland, it's really ironic because the characters were originally supposed to be used there in a show...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom