News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

dreamfinding

I don't know what the plan was for that, but yeah they would have had to go. Hopefully moved.
I mean, they could actually move the trains and make it part of a gift shop. I guess a lot of it would be dependent on what would happen with Biergarten. I know that all of Biergarten would have to be a show building.

If they were really smart: build Rhine River Cruise + make the trains part of the queue.

Ayla

I mean, they could actually move the trains and make it part of a gift shop. I guess a lot of it would be dependent on what would happen with Biergarten. I know that all of Biergarten would have to be a show building.

If they were really smart: build Rhine River Cruise + make the trains part of the queue.
Funny, we are going on a real Rhine River cruise this summer, for less than a week-long WDW vacation.

V_L_Raptor

He was a public employee of Disney. He wasn't secretly on their payroll.

What you said is like saying Iger is a shill. Or like saying the hired actors in a commercial for Disney are shills.

He was absolutely a public employee of Disney. No one's disputing that. Trouble was, he first came on the scene claiming to be an Imagineer, and... well. It was more like being associated with Imagineering would've made him an "Imagineer," because he was more a shill for carpet design references than he was an effective participant in creating anything of substance in the parks.

The title shouldn't be an idle thing to throw around social media, but there he was.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He was absolutely a public employee of Disney. No one's disputing that. Trouble was, he first came on the scene claiming to be an Imagineer, and... well. It was more like being associated with Imagineering would've made him an "Imagineer," because he was more a shill for carpet design references than he was an effective participant in creating anything of substance in the parks.

The title shouldn't be an idle thing to throw around social media, but there he was.
He is an actual Disney Imagineer. Up on the higher rungs, too.

His floor obsession is probably more related to stuff he can talk about because it's not spoilers for what they're actually doing.

It seems that Disney PR was 'helping' him with his Insta posts, but, he's a real, high-level Imagineer. He was at the time of the EPCOT refresh and still is (unless he was laid off recently, AFAIK).

V_L_Raptor

He is an actual Disney Imagineer. Up on the higher rungs, too.

His floor obsession is probably more related to stuff he can talk about because it's not spoilers for what they're actually doing.

It seems that Disney PR was 'helping' him with his Insta posts, but, he's a real, high-level Imagineer. He was at the time of the EPCOT refresh and still is (unless he was laid off recently, AFAIK).

And that's what I mean by "reeled in." Marketing/PR "helped," right up until they didn't, and he disappeared from the socialsphere as the voice of the EPCOT refresh, well before its "completion."

Sir_Cliff

I don't think it's hard to understand why people are excited about/happy with the current EPCOT -- it's certainly better than what's been there for most of this century, and that's all many people ever experienced.

I think it's still significantly worse essentially across the board than the EPCOT that existed at its best (the attraction lineup today is much weaker and probably has less capacity too, for one), but EPCOT at its height was the best theme park I've ever seen. That's a high bar to clear, and no other park (Disney or non-Disney) has done it -- plus it's been gone for nearly 30 years.
I feel pretty much this way. As a relaunch of Epcot, this seems very slight and, I think, ultimately falls short of propelling Epcot into a bold new era that can compare with the park during it's initial 10-15 years.

That said, it is a lot better than it has been for the past 20 years or so in many ways. Most of the improvements are aesthetic, but I'll take them as that whole central spine had become so mutilated over the years with ill-conceived attempts to make it more 'colourful' or 'dynamic'. So, I find it hard to understand people declaring Epcot dead to them as a result of this project when it's mostly made the park at least a little more pleasant. I do wonder to what extent it is people who grew up with the 90s version that limped through the first decades of the twenty-first century who are upset that their nostalgia for that version of the park has been swept away.

Last edited:

James Alucobond

I do wonder to what extent it is people who grew up with the 90s version that limped through the first decades of the twenty-first century who are upset that their nostalgia for that version of the park has been swept away.
I honestly think there are two distinct generational clusters. There are those who lived through original EPCOT and legitimately miss the one-of-a-kind thing it was on opening day, and then there are those who mistook its millennial husk for some sort of unique Disney aesthetic once people forgot what the 80s and 90s looked like.

tparris

You’re telling me they can’t even remember to take the stickers off the signs after they open the place??? (Photo from just now)
IMG_1408.jpeg

Sir_Cliff

I honestly think there are two distinct generational clusters. There are those who lived through original EPCOT and legitimately miss the one-of-a-kind thing it was on opening day, and then there are those who mistook its millennial husk for some sort of unique Disney aesthetic once people forgot what the 80s and 90s looked like.
I get that impression, too. It's particularly apparent when you see people mourning the loss of the "theming" of Mouse Gear or the original Club Cool with the ice cave and snow mobile out front.

trainplane3

Don’t touch the trains.
Trains were on the chopping block with the Brazil project. Though they were very aware of how much guests love them so there was a decent chance they'd return elsewhere. But as far as I know, they were more concerned with Brazil being built and the trains would be a "bonus" afterthought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom