News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

When people used to ask me what my favorite Disney park was, it was Epcot. Now, I'm at a loss for words because I don't really know. This isn't my Epcot anymore.
I see no lies here. Disney is in such a downward spiral that I don’t see any way up. What’s funny is that when they were riding high there was only one thing that could stop it. And that one thing did.

WDWhopper

It’s fine. It’s replacing a sewer smelling empty building, so the bar is low. It will be nice to have an air-conditioned spot to cool down during the summer and the music/shows will be constantly changing, adding some energy to that area. They’re going to have to do some work on the current performance, though. Felt like a Welcome Aboard show on a Carnival Cruise.

Last edited:

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
There's no excuse to have such a big empty space. After all the years it took to finish this area?! They could have filled this building with some exhibits or interactive displays until the next festival comes along. At the very least I was expecting the large Figment figure from the concept art.

Doesn't the Disney Archive have a ton of stuff they could show here? Heck, they could use this space to display some old CommuniCore items and talk about the history of Epcot, or have a temporary exhibit of past Epcot attractions. I think that lots of people would love that.
I actually generally like the finished product, but yeah, opening it without an exhibition of some kind really pulls out the rug from under it.
I enjoyed EPCOT more in my past visit in December than in my whole life.

I look forward in a few weeks to EPCOT unwalled.
I totally agree—it’s not even close for me.

My very early memories of EPCOT are a park without even Mission: Space and Soarin’.

That was a rough period for the park. It wasn’t that long ago that Ellen’s Energy Adventure closed too, and despite it being my absolute favorite ride growing up—alongside Maelstrom—replacing it with Cosmic Rewind has made such a colossal difference for the park.

I don’t know if it was the dinosaurs, or the outstanding soundtrack, or how charismatic Bill Nye and Ellen DeGeneres were in it, but It single-handedly sparked my interest in science, so I really hope at least a few rides keep an edutainment aspect despite me feeling that EPCOT suffered from a lack of diversity in its line-up. It was, for a lack of a better term, very monotonous, which was even worse when pretty much every ride was a slow moving omnimover.

It feels totally different now. If I’m in Orlando for a weekend, my two parks that I hit are generally EPCOT and IOA, sidestepping the others. I definitely would want to at least hop over to HWS before Guardians, but now it stands on its own a lot better.

Though despite my nostalgia for Ellen (and to a lesser extent Spaceship Earth ‘94), I’ll even admit that the park literally lacked a ride line-up worth anything.

And of course, Ratatouille actually fits France unlike FEA in Norway and added a lot of additional capacity while also being a good ride.

And that’s beyond us going from the cheap, outdated and abandoned mess off a 90s concrete jungle that were both of the CommuniCore buildings and the central plaza.

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

I can appreciate that perspective. Again, I think the issue is not that it is better than it was. As everyone keeps saying about TBA... judge this on its own. The current implementation of the park, had it been built from the ground up, would feel disjointed and "cheap" in several areas. It's only fair to judge this version of Epcot against a better version had the money been spent differently (arguably more wisely) and with overarching vision... Not against the park that was 15 years ago. There have been HUGE missteps and missed opportunities with this redo, and the company should be held to task on that.

mysto

It’s fine. It’s replacing a sewer smelling empty building, so the bar is low. It will be nice to have an air-conditioned spot to cool down during the summer and the music/shows will be constantly changing, adding some energy to that area. They’re going to have to do some work on the current performance, though. Felt like a Welcome Aboard show on a Carnival Cruise.
There a lot of good things about what they've done. the sewer was a must. They were having shows in front of the fountain which was in the way, so this is better.

I don't feel that JOW adequately replaces the fountain, it's more of an attraction than the bonus atmosphere the fountain was.

I also with they had built the raised platform as originally proposed. It would have created some new 'rail space' for the shows and shaded the center.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I actually generally like the finished product, but yeah, opening it without an exhibition of some kind really pulls out the rug from under it.

I totally agree—it’s not even close for me.

My very early memories of EPCOT are a park without even Mission: Space and Soarin’.

That was a rough period for the park. It wasn’t that long ago that Ellen’s Energy Adventure closed too, and despite it being my absolute favorite ride growing up—alongside Maelstrom—replacing it with Cosmic Rewind has made such a colossal difference for the park.

I don’t know if it was the dinosaurs, or the outstanding soundtrack, or how charismatic Bill Nye and Ellen DeGeneres were in it, but It single-handedly sparked my interest in science, so I really hope at least a few rides keep an edutainment aspect despite me feeling that EPCOT suffered from a lack of diversity in its line-up. It was, for a lack of a better term, very monotonous, which was even worse when pretty much every ride was a slow moving omnimover.

It feels totally different now. If I’m in Orlando for a weekend, my two parks that I hit are generally EPCOT and IOA, sidestepping the others. I definitely would want to at least hop over to HWS before Guardians, but now it stands on its own a lot better.

Though despite my nostalgia for Ellen (and to a lesser extent Spaceship Earth ‘94), I’ll even admit that the park literally lacked a ride line-up worth anything.

And of course, Ratatouille actually fits France unlike FEA in Norway and added a lot of additional capacity while also being a good ride.

And that’s beyond us going from the cheap, outdated and abandoned mess off a 90s concrete jungle that were both of the CommuniCore buildings and the central plaza.

You presented one original thought - Your love for EEA - and then regurgitated every other sentiment that others here regurgitate regularly when defending the crapfest that the Bob's, Josh, and THEZach foisted onto the park-going guest.

"90's concrete jungle" - Check
Unoriginal/boring rides - Check
Cosmic Rewind is fantastical - Check
Rat is great - Check
Limited history with the park - Check

Celebrate Way To Go GIF by DraftKings

You're usually better than that.

rd805

Am i underwhelmed? 10000% BUT everyone on Twitter praising Epic Universe for "putting the PARK back in theme park" and saying this is garbage is kind of wild because this is the most "park"like addition to WDW in years.
It's because we see the 10 Million things that they cut out of EPCOT that they were supposed to be creating/adding...and moreso, because it took YEARS. YEARSSSSSSSS!

These aren't comparible gripes.

Henry Mystic

Author of "A Manor of Fact"
You presented one original thought - Your love for EEA - and then regurgitated every other sentiment that others here regurgitate regularly when defending the crapfest that the Bob's, Josh, and THEZach foisted onto the park-going guest.

"90's concrete jungle" - Check
Unoriginal/boring rides - Check
Cosmic Rewind is fantastical - Check
Rat is great - Check
Limited history with the park - Check

Celebrate Way To Go GIF by DraftKings

You're usually better than that.
It’s hard to take you seriously when you drop false cliches like this from the interdom.
I’m sorry, I don’t think this looks good, but I guess it’s just personal preference.
IMG_3958.jpeg
IMG_3957.jpeg
IMG_3955.jpeg

IMG_3959.jpeg

IMG_3960.jpeg

Besides the back of the Festival Center and losing FoN, every change made to FW was a massive aesthetic and functional improvement. The sky isn’t falling.

Now if we’re talking about spending money efficiently, that’s a different story…

Skibum1970

So, this isn't really a Future World question and is more World Showcase. On Google maps, there is a cleared area between Germany and the canal next to China. Was that just a staging area or was that something that has since been cancelled? I know people talk about a Brazilian pavilion but that would also have been a great place for a Germany ride. I'm not suggesting that they are building a ride but just wondered about that cleared area.

Chef idea Mickey`=

You knew you was at Epcot, and it's the only place in the world that looked like this. It had kinetic energy. Why on earth would I want to pay a hundred dollars for a space that looks like my community college where I could just go there and it's free and that's a compliment to my campus because it use to be a navy space and had no fountains and is dull itself.

To me is like Epic Universe is doing the World Celebration that Epcot was supposed to upgrade (concept art 2017 hence) become but didn't except far far superior!*

Last edited:

James Alucobond

You knew you was at Epcot, and it's the only place in the world that looked like this. It had kinetic energy.
Plenty of places looked like this in the 90s. Just because they took 30 years to change anything doesn't make it especially unique. Electric Umbrella looked like a 90s theater vestibule. Mouse Gear looked like an Imaginarium store from a 90s mall. Innoventions looked like a series of exhibits from a 90s children's museum or a state fair. This is not a defense of what we got; it's just a reality check on what was there before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom