News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

JohnD

We absolutely are!

For all the talk of “wallowing in misery” all I see here is people enjoying openly mocking those with low standards and expectations and for having absolutely no perspective on Disney’s once industry leading position in the industry!
I can agree EPCOT doesn't hold up to the standards it used to have. I can also agree it's in better shape than its been in a long time. Certainly not "better than ever". That's impossible and will never be achieved again.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I'm glad you had a great time. I enjoyed my trip this past week as well and took in a lot of the holiday atmosphere. I wanted to enjoy Luminous more but that was because of the cold, windy weather, not the show itself. Regardless, it's the best show SINCE Illuminations (not better than, though).
It sure has been a chilly and windy week for us too. Glad it’s warming up for the last few days of our trip! It was my first time back at WDW during Christmas since 2019

UNCgolf

I could say the same about some of y’all who do nothing but moan and complain about how awful WDW has become. This has been one of the best trips I’ve ever had to the resort in recent memory. Anyone who dares offer a counterpoint is automatically shut down. The medicine doesn’t taste so good when it’s forced back on you does it? 🤔

See my post above regarding grouping a bunch of different people together as though they are one person who all believe the same thing.

They have made plenty of changes I don't love (I'm not saying all change is bad, though), and I did enjoy three of the four parks more overall in an earlier version of their existence than their current version (DAK is the only park that I think is the best it's ever been right now -- and while I wish they'd keep dinosaurs, I'm on board with the Tropical Americas change if they stick with that), but that doesn't mean they're bad now. Even if I only enjoy it 80% (just a random number) as much as I did in the past, I still enjoy it. If I thought it was awful, I wouldn't go at all!

I also recognize that it's all subjective. The original EPCOT attractions were significantly better than their replacements to me, but that doesn't mean they were objectively better or that anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. If you think EPCOT is the best it's ever been right now, that's great! And I legitimately mean that, even if I personally disagree.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We absolutely are!

For all the talk of “wallowing in misery” all I see here is people enjoying openly mocking those with low standards and expectations and for having absolutely no perspective on Disney’s once industry leading position in the industry!
I wish I could find the GIF of Walt and John Hench with some wording on it about Epcot. It would be very appropriate right now. ;) (I have a copy of the original picture, but not of the one I want to post)

J4546

some of you all take this stuff WAY too seriously lol. I dont live in FL and dont visit daily/weekly/yearly its more of an every 2-3 years for me, so maybe im not as jaded to the fl parks as others but I like what theyve done to Epcot. Looks way better than it was in the last 15ish years ive been going, and ill def be back next year to see it all when the last walls come down and communicore plaza opens.

I will also say 2 years ago when me and gf went to FL we spent 5 days at the park, but only 2 Disney Parks and the rest were Universal because we had never been to them before. We will probably go to IoA and Volcano Bay again because they are great parks imo and then spend a couple days at Epcot, AK, and MK

retr0gate

Lighting and railing have been installed in the area near the Imagination Pavilion - photos from today.

Here's another look at the lighting from the bridge leading to World Showcase.

Do we have any "before" pictures or was this all originally grass? I can't recall what this area used to look like but I think the work that's being done looks quite nice so far. Really like those light fixtures.

James Alucobond

Do we have any "before" pictures or was this all originally grass? I can't recall what this area used to look like but I think the work that's being done looks quite nice so far. Really like those light fixtures.
If I’m remembering correctly, I think it was most recently an area with a festival kiosk, some strand lights, and a playground. Searching for “EPCOT rose walk” should give you some past views.

Epcot81Fan

IMG_7573.jpeg

#absolutelyremarkable
#bestepcotever

Poseidon Quest

Ah well. I’ll continue enjoying my visits while yall sit on here and whine about the good old days (that are vastly overrated and rose colored).

Honestly, don't let other people's opinions hamper what you enjoy, some people are just too cynical to allow others to have fun.

Also, I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but there's a great chain of parks out there called Six Flags. They have all kinds of poorly landscaped parks and there's statues of Bugs Bunny where you can point at it and stuff. If you like what Disney is serving park goers now, then I think that Six Flags might be right up your alley.

_caleb

So those triangular panels with the v-shaped nook are painted with a colored gradient to be visible in the daytime, but will light up at night, right?

Will the lights inside be color-changing? If so, how will the painted color affect how it displays at night? Will the LEDs need to adjust in order to make the green-painted pocket appear, say yellow?

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Honestly, don't let other people's opinions hamper what you enjoy, some people are just too cynical to allow others to have fun.

Also, I'm not sure if you've heard of it, but there's a great chain of parks out there called Six Flags. They have all kinds of poorly landscaped parks and there's statues of Bugs Bunny where you can point at it and stuff. If you like what Disney is serving park goers now, then I think that Six Flags might be right up your alley.
I went to my first Six Flags park this summer, La Ronde in Montreal, and Disney World on its worse day is leaps and bounds better than that cesspool. I’ll never set foot in a Six Flags park again after that experience. Anyone who says Disney is becoming Six Flags level is living in a literal Fantasyland

_caleb

About fan standards for Epcot: I think it's less about what Epcot actually was back in the 80's and 90's, and more about the experience the park provided guests at the time.

For years, they left the park the way it was and because the world kept changing, the park was less and less able to deliver that experience.

Now, as they make changes, I'm pretty sure they're not trying to deliver that original experience to modern audiences. They're trying to deliver a different (many here might say lesser) experience.

The experience it gives modern audiences can't be compared to the experience it gave past audiences. Why? Because legacy fans view the past through nostalgic lenses, while newer fans cannot fathom what it was like to experience Epcot in 1988.

At this point, we can only imagine what Disney could possibly do to try to deliver that classic Epcot experience to today's audiences.

Incomudro

I'm guessing they didn't do the show often. And I guess some think a residential show (from 8 years ago) that completely blows away what Disney is doing at a theme park today is hideous. You really can only lead people to water but can't make them drink.
You're guessing that I think garish, tasteless, flashing Christmas displays on residential homes to be attractive.
You guessed very wrong.
I like simple, tasteful, miniature home Christmas lights - preferably only white lights, but I'll accept red & white.
Coupled with wreaths makes a nice touch.

Bocabear

Commercial Christmas decor design has been my job for the last 35 years. People always ask me about what I do at home...lol I can do wild stuff for commercial clients, but at home I like simple classic things... We bought a mid century modern house a few years back and I changed my very very traditional style to silver and white with a red and silver checked ribbon...sounds awful but it is very pretty and simple and sweet... No flashing color changing animated lights for me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom