News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

tparris

IMG_6063.jpeg
IMG_6071.jpeg
IMG_6072.jpeg
IMG_6074.jpeg
IMG_6075.jpeg
IMG_6076.jpeg
IMG_6077.jpeg
IMG_6079.jpeg
IMG_6080.jpeg

UNCgolf

Epcot82Guy

This continues to look fine to nice. I actually love spaces like this, but they aren't designed for crowds. It's just tough to ignore what would have been possible with the same budget (and how much less time it would have taken) to do this in the middle, repurpose the 4 buildings and build JoW inside World Nature.

It's just a little underwhelming. And I think it will need an update in 10-15 years just as much as the 90s version did. (Which I actually think is the right thing to do. But, it didn't "fix" Epcot then. It just delivered a much needed update.)

hpyhnt 1000

Wonderful pictures, @tparris - thanks!

The charging ports are a nice addition, and I'm optimistic how the area will look at night - I'm hoping it's quite moody and immersive with the synchronized lighting. And the area offers a nice canvas for festival decor. That said...

*dons flame suit*

Hot takes in no particular order:
  • Get rid of the center planter. If it was a fountain I'd feel differently, but as currently built, it looks weird and is an unnecessary obstruction across the plaza's main pathway. Would much rather have an open area with a full in-pavement EPCOT logo that lit up at night.
  • There's... too many trees. And tall shrubs. I understand they're responding to criticism the previous plaza had no shade, but I think they've gone too far the other direction. Greenery is important, but so are sight lines and vistas and room to walk around.
  • Not having something plaza facing in the NW quadrant was a poor choice; that section looks unfinished and empty. Entering the park along the west path is going to be pretty underwhelming past SSE - just lots of trees and a snack stand until you get to Communicore Hall.
  • I worry custodial is going to have a hard time keeping the scattered tables and benches clean, plus the overnight crews will need to stay on top of mildew and stains from fallen leaves and bird droppings.
  • It all seems a bit disjointed. Because each section uses different pavement and lighting and furniture, it feels like 4 or 5 separate parks forced together with nothing to unify them. Plus, does anyone know what those brown canopy things are for?
Glad the walls are coming down and EPCOT will have its center spine open again. But I don't find the final product to be all that great based on the initial photos.

UNCgolf

The extra seating looks nice and well designed - especially the wood bench. Why do people think it will be so crowded and a chokehold? I don't see what would draw crowds of people to form a line at one time other than just looking at the statue or sitting down and relaxing.

It's just the sheer amount of traffic that it will see on any given day. I don't think people are going to be just hanging out there (although if they have festival stuff in the area that could cause additional problems), but people will probably be moving back and forth through it regularly and it doesn't look like it's going to have easy flow for potentially hundreds of people at a time.

James Alucobond

Hot takes in no particular order:
  • There's... too many trees. And tall shrubs. I understand they're responding to criticism the previous plaza had no shade, but I think they've gone too far the other direction. Greenery is important, but so are sight lines and vistas and room to walk around.
I feel this is intentional to break up sight lines toward the now asymmetrical surrounding structure.

trainplane3

I think it will be interesting to se how long this area can remain free of snack kiosks, popup bars, and merchandise carts.
With how tight some of the walkways are, can you even fit a cart in there? Even a small cart would be a sizable bottleneck if placed anywhere in the gardens.

Maybe WDI designed it like that on purpose to keep carts out? Haha

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
With how tight some of the walkways are, can you even fit a cart in there? Even a small cart would be a sizable bottleneck if placed anywhere in the gardens.

Maybe WDI designed it like that on purpose to keep carts out? Haha
Just like they did at DAK to prevent a parade and kiosks appearing ;) Never underestimate the power of the food and beverage team to get carts out there lol

Squishy

Just like they did at DAK to prevent a parade and kiosks appearing ;) Never underestimate the power of the food and beverage team to get carts out there lol
"Drinking on World Showcase lagoon is a new food & beverage experience coming to Epcot. Soon for $79.99 you'll be able to board a friendship boat and drink on the Luminous: The Symphony of US barges."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom