News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

SonnyEcipse

Through casually looking at Imagineer portfolios on ArtStation, I managed to find a post from LAST WEEK that includes this image:
stephen-yen-wdi-portfolio-5.jpg

As can be seen here, the update is now confirmed to still be happening (which is surprising to me as I honestly thought it was cancelled due to COVID and it's disappearance from the EPCOT Experience over a year ago now).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Through casually looking at Imagineer portfolios on ArtStation, I managed to find a post from LAST WEEK that includes this image:
View attachment 625789

As can be seen here, the update is now confirmed to still be happening (which is surprising to me as I honestly thought it was cancelled due to COVID and it's disappearance from the EPCOT Experience over a year ago now).
Those are pics we've seen long ago when it was first announced. Being on the artist's personal site doesn't really mean if it's coming still or not or when.

SonnyEcipse

Those are pics we've seen long ago when it was first announced. Being on the artist's personal site doesn't really mean if it's coming still or not or when.
Yes, but this was found on a post uploaded a week ago. For a while, I thought it was a question on if the update was ever happening and based on the fact that this dude posted this portfolio (that includes other recent projects he worked on like Frozen Ever After and Runaway Railway in WDW), I think that it can be theorized (especially based on the fact that he lists this last) that this is still a current project and may not have been cancelled or "indefinitely shelved" like people thought. Because....I'm not sure if he'd want to post about it publicly if it was cancelled and he does use the word "working on" as if it's still ongoing so....

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Yes, but this was found on a post uploaded a week ago. For a while, I thought it was a question on if the update was ever happening and based on the fact that this dude posted this portfolio (that includes other recent projects he worked on like Frozen Ever After and Runaway Railway in WDW), I think that it can be theorized (especially based on the fact that he lists this last) that this is still a current project and may not have been cancelled or "indefinitely shelved" like people thought. Because....I'm not sure if he'd want to post about it publicly if it was cancelled and he does use the word "working on" as if it's still ongoing so....

There were a lot of things I was “working on” at my last job that were never going to happen but were still on my list of ”things I’m working on”.

Until I hear it from a source I trust, this is still shelved indefinitely in my eyes. Thankfully.

michmousefan

I'd like it to be true, but can't imagine them closing SSE until at least both Guardians and Moana are open. *Maybe* after Guardians opens, assuming that they have the rest of Communicore East finished and reopened.

IMDREW

6064b9a7639f7d75ca917c80_finalle option4S.jpg

zUwX4v3.jpeg

MLqjfke.jpeg

Some concept art we havent seen for the new descent. This imagineer worked on a few interesting projects.

CREATIVE DESIGNSPACESHIP EARTH” Epcot Florida /2018-2019
Spearheaded design of ride's descent, 3D models, illustrations, media concepts and story development.​

CONCEPT DESIGNSTUDIO1 ” Disney Paris / 2019
Proposed several designs for an immersive experience in park’s entry building in 3D models.​

Surferboy567

View attachment 625859
View attachment 625860
View attachment 625861

Some concept art we havent seen for the new descent. This imagineer worked on a few interesting projects.

CREATIVE DESIGNSPACESHIP EARTH” Epcot Florida /2018-2019
Spearheaded design of ride's descent, 3D models, illustrations, media concepts and story development.​

CONCEPT DESIGNSTUDIO1 ” Disney Paris / 2019
Proposed several designs for an immersive experience in park’s entry building in 3D models.​

Extremely interesting, Yesterday, when this was posted.

View attachment 625789

I thought since they are using the same art maybe it was just an outdated portfolio that made it’s way online. This art though gives me way more confidence in saying this is probably back on. Of course, it could just be leaked art but both these being posted can’t be a coincidence.

I’ve always thought this was going to get some kind of update but thought it would be scaled back. The ride in it’s current form is really not in the best shape and needs a massive refurbishment. Definitely in favor of this update.

A question I do have. In the center of EPCOT, wasn’t it proposed that a new loading area (I think) of the attraction would be behind it? I was also in favor of this as well. Have we seen any evidence in the construction this could still be happening as well?

EDIT: Just noticed the 2019 date, that gives me a little less confidence.

ppete1975

Coasters are usually pretty reliable, and I think they're likely to run it even if effects aren't working.
Thats great, because Ive heard none of the effects are able to be worked on or removed without removing the top of the building*

*this is a joke.. its monday im attempting feebly to be funny.

trainplane3

Glowy Spaceship Earth looks like it’s the replacement scene for the 1994 Fiber Optic City (or the present cluster of triangles)
And here I am thinking "wow that looks cool. Can't wait to see how it gets budget cut". I'd expect a sphere with some basic projection mapped effect. Somehow the fiber optic city will end up still being more impressive. Somehow.

DreamfinderGuy

And here I am thinking "wow that looks cool. Can't wait to see how it gets budget cut". I'd expect a sphere with some basic projection mapped effect. Somehow the fiber optic city will end up still being more impressive. Somehow.
I mean even if it looks exactly like the concept art I think the fiber optic city will ultimately be more impressive. That’s not to say this doesn’t look cool, but it lacks the depth that the city had. I’m hoping the lighting effects are really cool, because if they aren’t this scene doesn’t really have much going for it.

IMDREW

Extremely interesting, Yesterday, when this was posted.

I thought since they are using the same art maybe it was just an outdated portfolio that made it’s way online. This art though gives me way more confidence in saying this is probably back on. Of course, it could just be leaked art but both these being posted can’t be a coincidence.

I’ve always thought this was going to get some kind of update but thought it would be scaled back. The ride in it’s current form is really not in the best shape and needs a massive refurbishment. Definitely in favor of this update.

A question I do have. In the center of EPCOT, wasn’t it proposed that a new loading area (I think) of the attraction would be behind it? I was also in favor of this as well. Have we seen any evidence in the construction this could still be happening as well?

EDIT: Just noticed the 2019 date, that gives me a little less confidence.
I'm actually more afraid it's completely cancelled. They usually are very strict about posting art on projects in development are they not? Personally, I too really hope it's back on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom