News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Chef idea Mickey`=

That would have made absolutely no sense. It would have required a bunch of extra, temporary work at a time when the Festival Center was very much a go.

Universal has now closed both attractions in Lost Continent for a project that’s still not definite.
The Festival Center wasn't a go. Turned out it didn't happen and therefore we lost part of Innoventions that could been kept and saved costs.

Incomudro

I'm quite happy we didn't get the table.
I didn't like that thing at all.
The problem for me is that the rest of it didn't come together like it should have.
I like the park like area they opened first - that's a big plus for me over what was there.
I liked the lights, if only they worked.
The planter is a tremendous miss as I repeatedly say.
I like the idea of the stage area, but the execution is poor.

Last edited:

Bocabear

That's the whole thing though... Nothing is quite right.... Why a planter? Who came up with that idea? and it is a weird planter on top of that. The current Festival Center is terrible... The stage looks like every performer's nightmare... They could have built a better stage with more space and backstage area that would be more conducive to better entertainment...rather than a platform with a circular ramp. It just feels like something thrown together... All of it does.... Only thing that feels like it makes sense was remodeling Communicore East and opening up the spaces and letting the building breathe...

lazyboy97o

The Festival Center wasn't a go. Turned out it didn't happen and therefore we lost part of Innoventions that could been kept and saved costs.
They didn’t tear down the building and then decide what to do. They tore down the building because they had decided to build the Festival Center. The Festival Center was a lousy, very expensive idea but it was very much going to happen. Trying to put CommuniCore West back to together after the Festival Center was cancelled would have been like putting Humpty Dumpty back together.

Epcot81Fan

Our expectations are so low now that we are actually discussing whether The Walt Disney Company should be able to properly design a planter and stage.

We've come a long way from this:

1720812561514.png

Epcot82Guy

Our expectations are so low now that we are actually discussing whether The Walt Disney Company should be able to properly design a planter and stage.

View attachment 799753

To this day, one of my favorite purchases. Along with my opening day ticket and CM opening day book. There is no doubt what it was wouldn't work today. But, the ambition and drive to create something unique is definitely far in the rear view mirror. And, I refuse to believe humans don't want that. There was a vision to the original park (and, with all its faults, a legitimate "mission").

There is no reason EPCOT today couldn't target both that mission and the more fun and Disney preferences of most of the current attendee models. Again, it just isn't as "easy" or "safe" as what they have done.

HMF

Did Old Epcot contain any large momuments to how proud Walt would have been of the designers?

Or is that solely a thing the New Epcot people thought would be a good idea?
If the original designers thought they needed a Walt Statue. They would have had one built with the place. The park is supposed to be about humankind and building a better future.

Epcot81Fan

If the original designers thought they needed a Walt Statue. They would have had one built with the place. The park is supposed to be about humankind and building a better future.
You just don’t get get.

Epcot is not about humankind and building a better future - it’s clearly about shameless nostalgic pandering used as air cover for lazy and incompetent design choices.

Look, there’s Walt!

Over there, look, a wall graphic of Figment!

Hey, remember World of Motion and Horizons?!

Well, here’s a planter!

Last edited:

aladdin2007

View attachment 799753
I would replace the above strike through with "fallen"....but yes one of the best Disney books ever published. For anyone ever looking for a copy make sure its the full version, not the condensed thinner edition.

Chef idea Mickey`=

When they started demo in 2019, Festival centre was still the plan. It wasn't until mid 2020 when signs of the Festival Center was cancelled
I know that, It's just rather they removed things in phases they went entirely.. Now if the Festival Center was the first thing that would be built then okay maybe that was the case.. if it would been the last thing completed then they'd still need to time to get this completed is what I assume was their course.

V_L_Raptor

Did Old Epcot contain any large momuments to how proud Walt would have been of the designers?

I think the stereotype itself is obnoxious, but yes, this is a participation trophy under the guise of celebrating an anniversary.

KDM31091

I miss the first couple seasons of the LWTL overlay being just a nice, quiet change of pace. But then it become the typical overcrowded FOMO thing.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Is there a movie about that? Otherwise there’s no way to do it, because Bob and Josh know what guests want, and what they want is more movie IP everywhere.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I miss the first couple seasons of the LWTL overlay being just a nice, quiet change of pace. But then it become the typical overcrowded FOMO thing.
I also liked it more when it wasn’t advertised at all. Now it’s just what you described, the dumb FOMO crush of people because everyone needs to see it everywhere on social media. Our society is doomed.

Chef idea Mickey`=

If I had to guess it be just the setup of how Future World ends up looking now. Just because it appears like a walking state park (to me still community college) only with this look is appropriate to put a statue.

However, the statue of Walt sitting facing the Gardens I don't want people who walk there thinking that was Walt's Epcot vision because it wasn't. A Walt Sitting statue on Main Street USA or facing toward World Showcase or in the front area entrance of Epcot with Spaceship Earth would be been more with Walt than him sitting in meh World Celebration Gardens...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom