News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

flyerjab

So I had the chance to visit World Celebration Gardens yesterday. I will gladly take it over what was there previously (circa 2009 onward): concrete, few trees, a bizarre canopy, a pin station, and oh yes, a fountain. The one redeeming item from the previous iteration was the fountain. This they should have kept. A fountain would make this area that much more enjoyable. There is something about the sound of water that is relaxing - something I assume they were going for. Was just at Pandora today, and the sound of running water is omnipresent. It just makes me want to stop and relax for a spell.

I’ve seen some people argue that a fountain would have obstructed views of the light show from SSE. Well, if one visits the Moana JoW attraction, it is pretty obvious that the flow of water can be controlled. So yes, this feminine planter should have been a fountain.

Had that happened I would have given top marks. I love the abundance of seating, in numerous styles, everywhere. There is a communal feeling in the gardens, something that, to me, is very Epcot-y. When I see this area, I want to get some food or a coffee and just relax in one of several aesthetically pleasing locations.

And the music is now my favorite WDW music loop. The approach is similar to what Beethoven would do - take a simple theme and replay it over but in different ways, always adding to it. Now before I get jumped on: no, I am not comparing Pinar to ol’ Ludwig van. Just saying she takes her several note Epcot melody and reinvents it through the entire piece. Some do not like that but I really happen to.

I have yet to see it at night but am disappointed to hear the lighting effects are already not working. Under Iger’s reign though, that does not surprise me. They probably have so many metrics that tell them the minimum number of maintenance workers needed to support a park. Also, if the design of these were not robust, that is also Imagineering to blame. But maybe when one of your most visible Imagineers seems like a textile fanatic, that might explain something. Sorry, but the exodus of great Imagineers and Iger’s thoughts on how to maintain a park just irks me.

On the whole though, I do love this area. I love how it doesn’t cost extra to enter, there is no IP, and it is a beautiful spot to take a break. And I actually blame the lack of a fountain on Chapek. That just seems like a cost cutting move that he would do.

tparris

Something I just realized today is the new music loop is somewhat dynamic: the instrumentation is different in the normal green speakers around the area (it sounds a bit more “simple” compared to the speakers in the EPCOT logo planter which use more instruments overall. An example of this is the part of the loop that’s pretty much the full EPCOT Anthem, the garden speakers use a single violin for the main voice, however the central planter speakers play a full string section for the same melody. It’s pretty cool hearing the subtle changes as I walk around the area honestly. There may be even more changes in different areas that I haven’t picked up on, but this is what I’ve noticed today.

tparris

NINE (9) sections of the logo are completely off tonight. I’m sorry but it’s really unacceptable at this point and I’m starting to worry that it will not be fixed, or that if it is fixed, it will continue to break and not get enough attention until they just give up. For the record I really enjoy the new area but there are no excuses for this to be happening almost a week after opening.

Disstevefan1

NINE (9) sections of the logo are completely off tonight. I’m sorry but it’s really unacceptable at this point and I’m starting to worry that it will not be fixed, or that if it is fixed, it will continue to break and not get enough attention until they just give up. For the record I really enjoy the new area but there are no excuses for this to be happening almost a week after opening.
Terrible. We HOPE its software related and not water getting into the hardware.

Could you imagine the have to put the WALLS BACK UP to tear out the lights to replace them!!!

I would not be surprised.

tparris

The ones that are still working were fading in and out the entire EPCOT Anthem show and with incorrect colors at that. They need to get a grip

tparris

I don’t even know what’s happening at this point. The show ended and now most of the sections are completely not working
IMG_6206.jpeg

EPCOTCenterLover

This is the new Disney. Effects work for a small amount of time, and then they don't. It seems from Disco Yeti on to Rise of the Resistance, it's just the way things are for now.

Disstevefan1

This is embarrassing. I was going to say this kind of failure was not in the spirit of EPCOT.

But then again, for today's EPCOT its perfectly inline with the spirit of today's EPCOT. 👎

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom