News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ToTBellHop

This was tonight because it was raining and people not ordering anything were taking up all the tables. People had no where to eat. They stood at the condiment area to eat.
poor management
I know. Back before Iger took over, they didn’t let it rain at WDW.

Declining by degrees, indeed. It’ll probably be snowing by January with these clowns in charge.

Horizonsfan

Not certain of exact capacity, but I suspect Connections has a higher count than EU by quite a bit.

While what was built was probably enough on paper, WDI and operations failed to care or consider that:
- They eliminated a massive amount of sheltered space with the demolition of Innoventions West/Club Cool 1.0, Character spot.*
- Guardians spits out massive amounts of people constantly with no post-show area to absorb them, leading to a run on the nearest space, Connections.
- VQ/LL/Genie+ lead to a lot of people sitting around the park.

There’s a lot of wasted vertical space with the Connections restaurant side. IMO, it would had been a smart move to build a mezzanine level over the eastern seating “pod”. The structure for that mezzanine could have even extended out into the landscaped area near UoE & Joffreys to created a covered patio similar to Cosmic Ray’s patios at MK.

In the more realistic realm, I’d try to figure out if the old Computer Central could be put to use ASAP. Either a small sheltered play area for families waiting for those riding Guardians, a queue “pavilion” for a proper standby line, or some sort of auxiliary dining patio for Connections.

* yes this will be alleviated somewhat when Communicore Hall opens. But not enough to fix it entirely.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Not certain of exact capacity, but I suspect Connections has a higher count than EU by quite a bit.

While what was built was probably enough on paper, WDI and operations failed to care or consider that:
- They eliminated a massive amount of sheltered space with the demolition of Innoventions West/Club Cool 1.0, Character spot.*
- Guardians spits out massive amounts of people constantly with no post-show area to absorb them, leading to a run on the nearest space, Connections.

There’s a lot of wasted vertical space with the Connections restaurant side. IMO, it would had been a smart move to build a mezzanine level over the eastern seating “pod”. The structure for that mezzanine could have even extended out into the landscaped area near UoE & Joffreys to created a covered patio similar to Cosmic Ray’s patios at MK.

In the more realistic realm, I’d try to figure out if the old Computer Central could be put to use ASAP. Either a small sheltered play area for families waiting for those riding Guardians, a queue “pavilion” for a proper standby line, or some sort of auxiliary dining patio for Connections.

* yes this will be alleviated somewhat when Communicore Hall opens. But not enough to fix it entirely.
The second floor seating was what I was thinking about after I posted. This new cafeteria is one level and all airy and “modern” yet seems to have been designed without a thimble’s full of functionality considered. I’ve only ever been in there once, and that was around the perimeter of the inside as a shortcut over to Guardians one night.

Earlie the Pearlie

Please! This will be my new issue: put something in Computer Central!

doctornick

There's some plans to add food options to the central area once Communicore Hall opens, right? so, that's good in terms of potentially lessening the crunch on Connections but doesn't really solve the lack of indoor space.

The obvious solution to that would be to get something into WoL and include a quick service there (as was previously the case) with seating so there's another indoor option on that side of the park. Particularly around GotG so it is an alternative place for people to go to after/before that ride.

lazyboy97o

There are strict limitations on the size of a mezzanine. They can only be ⅓ of the area of the larger space they are within. Once you start adding in the required stairs and elevator you really start to limit your gains. The problem though isn’t just seating capacity, it’s kitchen capacity.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
When both Commicore/Innoventions buildings were still there and the first rumors about re-doing the area were around, I thought it would be nice to put a glass roof over the central area so it could be shelter from rain, etc. Too late for that now.

There is nothing in the daytime that makes this new area feel unique or special at all and the rust looking pieces are opposite of the feeling they should be going for.

Horizonsfan

There are strict limitations on the size of a mezzanine. They can only be ⅓ of the area of the larger space they are within. Once you start adding in the required stairs and elevator you really start to limit your gains. The problem though isn’t just seating capacity, it’s kitchen capacity.
I’m aware of the restrictions on a mezzanine as my day job is being an architect. It’s definitely not the cheapest or easiest solution, hence why I said they should look at Computer Central for expanded sheltering.

The main issue I was addressing is the excessive crowding that strikes anytime it rains. Not the long waits for a cashier, that’s a whole different can of worms.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

5 years they've been working on this Hub area, its damaged already and the lights aren't working.

Its purely because they've done it on the cheap, no other reason

Andrew25

One thing I was hoping for with this Epcot redo was to modify the "dead zones" in between pavilions in Future World World Whatever to add shade structures. They have the seating/areas to place them in, now just put a roof.

Over the next few years, the parks are going to have to start working on adding shade structures throughout the parks if guests continue this trend of avoiding Orlando in the summer. Surprisingly, SeaWorld has been the first one to start implementing shade structures in their parks.

CJR

Solution: Reopen the WoL/Play pavilion with a new family friendly ride, shop, dining area, and theater.

It'd provide both cover and things to do.

Disstevefan1

Even with some sections not working out not working fully, it's still impressive.
Some of the lighting working at night time is better than the experience in this area in the day time, unless you want a nondescript place to charge your phone and sit, reflect and contemplate life (in between the Communicore construction noise.) ;)

Having said that, I am looking forward to standing (or sitting) in a place that was walled off for (4?) years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom