News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

JohnD

This obsession with things being centred is just dumb.

It’s called the rule of thirds, and is a far more interesting visual.

Complain about the time it took, quality of finishes, whatever… but Walt being off centre is purposeful and works.

Agree. Walt is off-center so that you can be in the center of your photo with him. It's not like this hasn't been done before. Here is a photo of the John B. Stetson bench/statue at Stetson University just 60 miles northeast of Epcot.

stetson.jpg

osian

Agreed. He envisioned a city. Even the original EPCOT Center which most on this board long for is not what Walt wanted.
The Epcot that was built was nothing like what Walt Disney wanted.

I think we all know that, but the comment was "Epcot was his dream and in some ways, there’s a park with a little bit of his mental DNA in it.", in other words the park that was built had his ideas in it. Which it did. EPCOT, the city concept, was all about technology, industry, future ways of living, transport, and incorporated the visitor center (EPCOT Center) where these things were on show. The park fused that with the world's fair concept, which of course Disney had been involved in for a long time. Epcot as it stands today, or rather as it opened in 1982, is probably the most Walt thing they have ever achieved. Nothing could be more Disney than EPCOT. Unfortuantely, current management think that "more Disney" means more cartoon characters, which is completely tone-deaf to where EPCOT came from in the first place.

Having said that though, I'm not convinced the Walt statue is appropriate for the current park because no, it's not emphasising those aspects any more and it's moving away from that "mental DNA".

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

JohnD

and the sad part is they could have done all of this without tearing down the buildings... Just additions and refurbishments, and planters.....never forget the planters.....
A portion of Innoventions West anyway. They could have taken down the portion north of the original breezeway to make way for Moana. The remaining portion becomes the new festival center. I mean, that's what they're building in the exact same location, right?

F_00UByXAAAw6yO

Disstevefan1

you're being sarcastic, but I really like it! Makes it feel less like a theme park and more like just a park, in the style of DAK
I am glad you like it. And I agree, it feels less like EPCOT and more like DAK, especially with the addition of Moana.

I must remember, the changes were not made for me specifically, they were made for others.

I am looking forward to the walls coming down.

Disstevefan1

A portion of Innoventions West anyway. They could have taken down the portion north of the original breezeway to make way for Moana. The remaining portion becomes the new festival center. I mean, that's what they're building in the exact same location, right?

F_00UByXAAAw6yO
Wow. Moana's water treatment plant is only slightly smaller than the (attraction?) its self.
1701277469643.png

Disney Analyst

and after all, we really want to spend over a hundred dollars to be in a park rather than a theme park....

Luscious park / garden vibes very much are what set a theme park apart.

The centre spine (that is being replaced, not the one many of us never experienced), was a boring, uninspired plaza.

This is now a lush garden, begging you to explore.

Putting aside timeline, and I know symmetry for many (I don’t really care about symmetry in this case), this new centre area is a massive improvement.

Bocabear

The added greenery is nice. With all of the necessary changes needed for this park including at least one new pavilion, added attractions etc, it is underwhelming... Especially knocking down a building that hosted character meet and greets and then building a new building to host meet and greets...
I am glad the construction is wrapping up... I really am, but I wish we had more to look forward to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom