News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Casper Gutman

people just like to complain dude, they complain about GotG even though most people love it, they complain about JoW eve though most people love it, they will complain about anything just to complain. People like to complain nowadays about everything.
So the best argument here is that, after a multi-year, very expensive redesign that has ripped the guest experience to shreds, elements of EPCOTs core are no more charmless than they used to be? Great.

Oh, and you may want to reassess opinion on GotG, which is a fun coaster but a failure as anything more and nowhere near worth its budget.

DreamfinderGuy

The "People just like to complain" argument being thrown around as a response to valid criticisms of recent projects has always been pretty funny. It's basically just saying you have no response and no regard, therefore others' criticisms can't be valid. We've been playing this game for like seven years now, I feel like it is time to get better material.

That said, the new signs are fine and the old signs were fine for their time as well. WoM's sign was basic but complimented the architecture of the pavilion, just like literally every other marquee at EPCOT.

James Alucobond

So the best argument here is that, after a multi-year, very expensive redesign that has ripped the guest experience to shreds, elements of EPCOTs core are no more charmless than they used to be? Great.
What is wrong with updating something that used to feel modern to something that now feels modern again? Things become outdated and need to be refreshed, especially when pursuing the style that former Future World espouses. The design of this sign has nothing to do with how long the update has taken.

Casper Gutman

What is wrong with updating something that used to feel modern to something that now feels modern again? Things become outdated and need to be refreshed, especially when pursuing the style that former Future World espouses. The design of this sign has nothing to do with how long the update has taken.
Every single element of this update needs to be weighed against the time and money its cost and the disruption it’s caused, so yes, it’s relevant. The sign doesn’t strike me as particularly modern, more as something that would have been modern 10 or 15 years ago.

lazyboy97o

Almost makes you wonder if they could avoid those types of problems by condensing the build times to a reasonable window instead of stretching them out over a half-decade.
I don’t think 5-7 years is actually all that unreasonable a timeframe from projects of such scale and scope, especially when it is within the confines of an operating park.

I know I mentioned creative leadership, but these renovation projects also require a lot of coordination with operations where leadership is often even less stable.

James Alucobond

Every single element of this update needs to be weighed against the time and money its cost and the disruption it’s caused, so yes, it’s relevant.
It really doesn’t. This is a relatively inexpensive part of the update that simply needs to happen as part of the coordinated wayfinding infrastructure. You can’t look at every single tiny thing and bemoan the fact that it’s not ridiculously extravagant. It is part of a broader system of signage designed for cohesion, clarity, and legibility.

Casper Gutman

It really doesn’t. This is a relatively inexpensive part of the update that simply needs to happen as part of the coordinated wayfinding infrastructure. You can’t look at every single tiny thing and bemoan the fact that it’s not ridiculously extravagant. It is part of a broader system of signage designed for cohesion, clarity, and legibility.
Our difference lies in the fact that I feel this overall project is profoundly lacking in cohesion or clarity and the sign is representative of the larger failings of the undertaking.

vikescaper

Our difference lies in the fact that I feel this overall project is profoundly lacking in cohesion or clarity and the sign is representative of the larger failings of the undertaking.
The lack of cohesion with the signage is what gets me. The pavilion icons were used on the overhead signage that was installed in the breezeway between Connections and Creations but haven’t been used on the other signage that has been installed in World Celebration. Yeah, it is a minor detail and, overall, I do like the new signage.

James Alucobond

If each and every little thing is emblematic of the larger failure, then there's hardly reason to comment on anything as your attitude about it will always be the same. As I said originally, I have no issue with pointed criticism with regard to specific failings of the signage (as with the inconsistency in iconography, a complaint with which I agree); however, what is tiring are repeated vague assertions that something is lacking in "charm" or "whimsy" without further explanation only to be promptly followed up with deflection about how awful the whole project is.

Disney Analyst

So anyone been on the monorail recently? How is the progress? Last I saw constructions wall were going up around CommuniCore Hall, and it seemed rest of area was speeding along, and the walls indicating might be ready to open the main area soon?

Incomudro

If each and every little thing is emblematic of the larger failure, then there's hardly reason to comment on anything as your attitude about it will always be the same. As I said originally, I have no issue with pointed criticism with regard to specific failings of the signage (as with the inconsistency in iconography, a complaint with which I agree); however, what is tiring are repeated vague assertions that something is lacking in "charm" or "whimsy" without further explanation only to be promptly followed up with deflection about how awful the whole project is.
His attitude about everything is indeed the same.
All negative, about everything all the time, for years on end.
He also knows more about everything than everybody - all the time, about everything...

BasiltheBatLord

The change that has happened to Epcot, whatever issues with execution there are, is infinitely preferable to what the status quo was, which was that the park was stagnating into irrelevancy for the past 25 years.

Casper Gutman

I feel that the marker has all the charm of a mall sign. The entire project has taken an area that needed a redesign, the central hub and, after much time and money, has left it little better than before. The sign is emblematic of that.

You have your opinion, I have mine. We each post. The world keeps spinning.

Casper Gutman

His attitude about everything is indeed the same.
All negative, about everything all the time, for years on end.
He also knows more about everything than everybody - all the time, about everything...
I haven’t been posting in this section of the boards much at all lately, spending most of my time over in the movies section defending Disney, but it’s nice to know I loom so large to some.

Oh, and I love Runaway Railroad, like RoR and Rat, so on and so forth.

In the Parks
No
I haven’t been posting in this section of the boards much at all lately, spending most of my time over in the movies section defending Disney, but it’s nice to know I loom so large to some.

Oh, and I love Runaway Railroad, like RoR and Rat, so on and so forth.
Ah the Sydney Greenstreet guy! I don't do much on the movies side here, but it's good to see you again!

flyerjab

I used to post here quite a bit. I tend to be more in the positive bucket as opposed to the negative. I always new, though, that when Iger and company messed with Epcot, they were entering sacred cow territory. Any changes made, regardless of size, would be fervently scrutinized - and yes, even including those innocent directional signs.

I recently lambasted Iger and company on these boards due to increased pricing and return on value. But I don’t mind change at all. We are going in mid December for some holiday cheer and I honestly can’t wait. I think the central spine and hub look great, and my wife and I are very excited for Luminous.

I just remember, however, when concept art was first published for the Epcot changes. The turn in mood on the forums was palpable. This was akin to messing with someone’s religion. I used to look forward to Martin’s posts in the past, his little hints that something was going to be happening - who can ever forget Tick…Tok in the Sorcerer’s Hat thread, or his jaw hitting the floor post about the changes to DHS. Classic. I was afraid that this would stop after Epcot changes were announced. And to me it seemed that they did. I felt that most insider posts sort of ceased when the walls went up at Epcot. The excitement kind of died here.

I check only every so often anymore. People are always welcome to express their opinions. Some will never like some of the changes while some will always defend them. I’ve just decided to try and enjoy stuff more at my age. I will be interested to see how this next decade turns out for the company.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom