News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Have you ever priced that at Walmart?

In the quantities they'd need, I think it would price out even their over-inflated budget when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Have to admit, I'm not hating the idea of this element or the new uniforms.
What’s kind of cool is in the concept it seems some pop out and others are flat kind of resembling both Imagination and Spaceship Earth. From above the building also resembles the communicore building from older, concepts.
IMG_1882.jpeg
IMG_2128.png

Last edited:

Earlie the Pearlie

Have to admit, I'm not hating the idea of this element or the new uniforms.
You know what? I don’t think I hate any of this at all anymore. Moana looks cool, and Communicore Hall looks cool and restores some of the symmetry, and the new uniforms are really cool. I’ll miss the Fountain of Nations, but this is probably a better outcome than the previous festival building plan. It took way too long, but I’m as satisfied as I think I could be with this.

Disgruntled Walt

In the Parks
No

Epcot82Guy

You know what? I don’t think I hate any of this at all anymore. Moana looks cool, and Communicore Hall looks cool and restores some of the symmetry, and the new uniforms are really cool. I’ll miss the Fountain of Nations, but this is probably a better outcome than the previous festival building plan. It took way too long, but I’m as satisfied as I think I could be with this.

I'll see it officially in person, but the 3/4 symmetry is almost worse to me. It could have easily been fixed by having Moana enter and exit in two spots and/or pushing it farther into World Nature with something to finish the final 1/4. (Plus it would fix it's odd entrance distance from the Land). From the ground, it is going to look like an unfinished housing plot in what is now very symmetrical otherwise.

I only hope they put SOMETHING (even a wall/mural/something) to complete the circle. But, I'm not holding my breath given the final product.

James Alucobond

I'll see it officially in person, but the 3/4 symmetry is almost worse to me. It could have easily been fixed by having Moana enter and exit in two spots and/or pushing it farther into World Nature with something to finish the final 1/4. (Plus it would fix it's odd entrance distance from the Land). From the ground, it is going to look like an unfinished housing plot in what is now very symmetrical otherwise.

I only hope they put SOMETHING (even a wall/mural/something) to complete the circle. But, I'm not holding my breath given the final product.
I honestly think it won't be too bad from the ground since the gardens are now dense enough to visually break up all surrounding structures.

Epcot82Guy

I honestly think it won't be too bad from the ground since the gardens are now dense enough to visually break up all surrounding structures.

I'm not sure I'm seeing what you are seeing. The structures for Connections and Creations as well Communicore Hall will be clearly visible. The Backside of Water is just trees. It might not be as noticable for those coming in from the right of SSE. But it will almost certainly be noticable from every other entry point. Even now, the forest you can't enter can be seen along SSE whereas the other side is Connections (and Guest Relations).

At best, I think it will be "not too bad". But it's not good design, replacing incredible (though dated) design.

James Alucobond

I'm not sure I'm seeing what you are seeing. The structures for Connections and Creations as well Communicore Hall will be clearly visible. The Backside of Water is just trees. It might not be as noticable for those coming in from the right of SSE. But it will almost certainly be noticable from every other entry point. Even now, the forest you can't enter can be seen along SSE whereas the other side is Connections (and Guest Relations).
I'm saying that from within the heart of World Celebration, sight lines toward Connections, Creations, and Communicore will be obscured by the five gardens that radiate out from the center. Yes, it will be obvious that you're walking by a wall of trees when you pass through the northwest quadrant and that the architectural experience is very different from the eastern side of the space, but from any singular location, the trees will break up the roofline such that the asymmetry of the structures encircling the gardens will be less apparent. I think the concept art below demonstrates decently what they're going for. I'm not saying that it will look perfect or completely concealed; I'm just saying that perception of the architectural imbalance will probably be mitigated somewhat by the visual interference provided by the gardens.
1696996827880.png

Epcot82Guy

I'm saying that from within the heart of World Celebration, sight lines toward Connections, Creations, and Communicore will be obscured by the five gardens that radiate out from the center. Yes, it will be obvious that you're walking by a wall of trees when you pass through the northwest quadrant and that the architectural experience is very different from the eastern side of the space, but from any singular location, the trees will break up the roofline such that the asymmetry of the structures encircling the gardens will be less apparent. I think the concept art below demonstrates decently what they're going for. I'm not saying that it will look perfect or completely concealed; I'm just saying that perception of the architectural imbalance will probably be mitigated somewhat by the visual interference provided by the gardens.
View attachment 748230

Ah. Ok. I was talking more about walking through the space. I understand your point now. I guess I just don't see the trees being as effective a screen as you do. Plus, I think many more will walk around the edge, which has less screen (depending on where you are). We'll have to see.

No Name

One of those semicircular pergolas, that matches the height and curve of the buildings, would not only help complete that circle shape, but would also add something modern that’s main purpose is kind of just to fill out the space. And they could add something flat under it as well.

1697004642848.jpeg

1697004708735.jpeg

Epcot82Guy

One of those semicircular pergolas, that matches the height and curve of the buildings, would not only help complete that circle shape, but would also add something modern that’s main purpose is kind of just to fill out the space. And they could add something flat under it as well.

Yes. I was also thinking that, or an interactive wall made of stones or something like that. I could be a cool way of bringing back a spiritual successor to the fiber optic flooring. It doesn't have to be a major pavilion. Just some type of feature that completes the circle in some way. Sadly, given the space design, I'm not sure there is enough room now even for that.

Horizonsfan

That NW sliver isn't massive, but there's room to squeeze in more than just a wall or kiosk. Especially if the backside is given a treatment to blend in with JoW.

With creative space usage you could have additional festival exhibition space or an additional gift store given Creations' crowdedness.

Given the central location, I have a hard time believing it will stay solely landscaping in perpetuity. Let’s just hope they utilize it better than disjointed kiosks like what’s east of Club Cool.

Bocabear

looks like Journey of Water backs up right to the central area...no room to put anything else unless it is literally just a pergola. Poor space planning...they could have had some expansion space there....which would have also pushed it closer to The Seas and The Land....

Horizonsfan

looks like Journey of Water backs up right to the central area...no room to put anything else unless it is literally just a pergola. Poor space planning...they could have had some expansion space there....which would have also pushed it closer to The Seas and The Land…
Barring severely bad utility decisions during JoW construction, there’s room there. Slightly larger than the current Club Cool space or slightly smaller than the new stage overhang. So it’s not massive, but you could squeeze in a small exhibit or retail space.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Just blows my mind, if they just went with this plan in the first place they could have been done with every thing except Journey of Water by the end of 2021. The Fountain of Nations could have fit just fine in this plan to but I have a feeling that it may have needed to go whether they liked it or not there were some serious things going on with that structure.

No Name

That NW sliver isn't massive, but there's room to squeeze in more than just a wall or kiosk. Especially if the backside is given a treatment to blend in with JoW.

With creative space usage you could have additional festival exhibition space or an additional gift store given Creations' crowdedness.

Given the central location, I have a hard time believing it will stay solely landscaping in perpetuity. Let’s just hope they utilize it better than disjointed kiosks like what’s east of Club Cool.
Maybe they could put up a concession stand, and then give it a name and a sign to match the other three central things…

Concessions Stand

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom