News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Bocabear

Aesthetically speaking I think the end product will be a dramatic improvement. Outside of the look of Future World though I think this massice overhaul of Epcot has been a disappointment which so many of the promised and needed attractions cancelled. I think they had the right intentions when they started but COVID and other factors really watered down the final product which is unfortunate.
Future World is a disorganized mess with this overhaul, and to continue to blame the bad planning and crazy decisions on Covid is just wrong... There was a serious lack of leadership and budget to do what they set out to do...Clearly when you spend a year razing a building and then have to rebuild half of it, there were internal problems...but Covid didn't cause every bad decision they have made on this project...

Bocabear

It worked in the entrance plaza and Spaceship Earth, at least for me. That's the only modern upgrade that truly feels "EPCOT" to me.

I'm still going to be hurt by the loss of symmetry for many years though. I don't care how empty Innoventions West was and how much concrete there was. There were better ways to improve this area IMHO.

Also, watching this "outdoor stage" venue develop, I'm getting generic 2023 LA outdoor concert vibes. Looks kind-of weird with SSE in the background. Reminds me of my local zoo which did a similar thing at the beginning of its slide into "young adult food and wine festival with zoo exhibits attached."
I agree, the forecourt of Spaceship Earth and the lighting package they added not only look great, they look like they were meant to be there...but they did not have the tech to do it in 1981.

Disstevefan1

Future World is a disorganized mess with this overhaul, and to continue to blame the bad planning and crazy decisions on Covid is just wrong... There was a serious lack of leadership and budget to do what they set out to do...Clearly when you spend a year razing a building and then have to rebuild half of it, there were internal problems...but Covid didn't cause every bad decision they have made on this project...
🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆 🏆

HauntedMansionFLA

You never hear good old Josh take the blame ever. He’s in charge of the parks. I guess taking selfies with guest gives you immunity 😂

retr0gate

It shouldn't have taken as long as it did, but I still see this new spine as a MASSIVE improvement over what was there before. The biggest travesty, I will admit, is the loss of the Fountain of Nations. Especially with all these planters that are being built, I really don't see why one of them couldn't have become a fountain instead. I'd argue that it wouldn't even have to take up as much space as its predecessor, but something is better than nothing.

I think this planter in particular has/had the potential of being reworked into a new FoN, as modeled below.
1687277188891.png
1687277260690.png

Mickeynerd17

It shouldn't have taken as long as it did, but I still see this new spine as a MASSIVE improvement over what was there before. The biggest travesty, I will admit, is the loss of the Fountain of Nations. Especially with all these planters that are being built, I really don't see why one of them couldn't have become a fountain instead. I'd argue that it wouldn't even have to take up as much space as its predecessor, but something is better than nothing.

I think this planter in particular has/had the potential of being reworked into a new FoN, as modeled below.
View attachment 725306View attachment 725307
At this point, I'd 100% take that.

Better than nothing.

tparris

A few things I noticed today after being out of town for a couple weeks: new lighting poles have been installed along the pathway by the JoW water treatment area. They’re the larger versions, like the ones over by Guest Relations. Also in that area, the construction walls have been removed on the side of the SSE queue and exit, which really makes the pathway feel bigger and less “temporary” looking. Unfortunately there are marks on the ground where the walls once were, but hopefully those will fade away over time. Another development of note is right in front of SSE’s entrance, where for the longest time there has been a small section of the old style of pavement that never got replaced when the rest of the area did. That section has been cut into sections in preparation for removal and replacement, so that whole area should look a lot more cohesive soon. Finally, the area along the Imagination walkway (towards the former temporary Starbucks) that’s been walled off for who knows how long now is finally getting cleared out. All lights and structures behind the walls have been removed and construction equipment can be seen back there. Most likely going to be replaced with more pathway area and landscaping.
IMG_4650.jpeg
IMG_4642.jpeg
IMG_4649.jpeg
IMG_4648.jpeg
IMG_4645.jpeg
IMG_4646.jpeg

HauntedMansionFLA

It looks like there is a structure going up in the middle???? picture was taken in the Creations Shop.

Attachments

• 7AA5BEC7-281A-4F71-AA38-CC55D29563A5.jpeg
    7AA5BEC7-281A-4F71-AA38-CC55D29563A5.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Skibum1970

It probably wouldn't make a difference but I wonder if Imagineering thinks of light pollution and how to avoid it when designing these fixtures. Downwards facing lights or focused beams would seem to be better choices, although I'm saying this without having observed these new lights at Epcot in action. The Magic Kingdom parking lot looks like either dawn is coming is a large fire has broken out and the other lots are similar.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom