News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Could the word 'installed' be interpreted as the date the stones were installed versus the individual picture? I know it is probably referring to the picture but I am sure they could get away with it, or like you say, just move them somewhere, like into the car park!

It sounds like it is the picture to me...

"Agreeing that the image and/or sculpture may be replaced or relocated within Walt Disney World at any time, and that the image may be permanently removed on or after the twentieth anniversary of its installation. "

Haymarket2008

What if Figment was guiding us through five different large-scale environments themed to the emotions?

Actually could be a fun concept and a nice lesson for kids about emotions.

And no, I'm not suggesting this is a concept being developed. I don't actually know as I'm not convinced the JII refurb has been fully-committed to.

At that point they might as well ditch Figment and put in Bing-Bong. It could be entertaining, but I feel that if they're going to keep Figment they should go all in. It would be confusing to people to have a character prominently featured that they don't recognize from the film.

yellowrocket

It sounds like Future World will become simply Tomorrowland South. What a sad, sad shame.

If you were familiar with the Project Gemini plans for Epcot, they had Future World becoming "Discoveryland".

gemini.jpg

I know the artwork is supposedly real, but I'm not sure how many of the labels were really considered or (pardon the pun) figment's of Jim Hill's imagination. I'm fairly sure that Time Racers was never actually considered for a SpaceShip Earth replacement.

dizneycrazy09

If you were familiar with the Project Gemini plans for Epcot, they had Future World becoming "Discoveryland".

View attachment 148864

I know the artwork is supposedly real, but I'm not sure how many of the labels were really considered or (pardon the pun) figment's of Jim Hill's imagination. I'm fairly sure that Time Racers was never actually considered for a SpaceShip Earth replacement.

If I remember correctly, I think that the Time Racer was one of the more concrete aspects of the plan. I could be wrong though.

Luigi

I still contend a ride on the opposite side of World Showcase would be a great idea. Not Ratatouille in France, but in my mind in thr UK Pavilion either Mystic Manor featuring more British-centric art and artifacts coming to life or a new version of the classic Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Or just do Imagination Pavilion with a re-themed Mystic Manor but make it Dreamfinder and Figment instead of Henry Mystic and a monkey.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Wasn't Time Racer's not even possible? Someone said here that the omnimover ride system of Spaceship Earth cannot be removed.
The Omnimover could come out. The structure couldn't be guaranteed to handle the stresses of a coaster track.

View attachment 148864

If I remember correctly, I think that the Time Racer was one of the more concrete aspects of the plan. I could be wrong though.

Time Racers was very real and as mentioned came close. It actually looked quite good. Just in a worse location than Frozenstrom.

PizzaPlanet

The Omnimover could come out. The structure couldn't be guaranteed to handle the stresses of a coaster track.

Time Racers was very real and as mentioned came close. It actually looked quite good. Just in a worse location than Frozenstrom.
I believe the ride system was very similar to the new Tron coaster. Also, they going to rename the building itself "the ball". :depressed:

Brad Bishop

I liked the greening of Future World in that plan. It's mostly concrete right now. I see the Time Racers inside of SSE being another Rocket Rods situation.

On a related note: How is it that Disney just didn't put back the People Mover at DL? I know there's the structure and the missing motors/tires which propelled the vehicles. In my head, though, it seems like an easy win:
- Replace the pylons and track
- Don't use tires but, instead, use the LIMs that are used at the MK
- It's a people eater
- People generally like/love it.

You could argue: Oh, it'd be cost-prohibative for the type of ride it is.

I think the better argument against it would likely be: For the cost, we can't prove in a spreadsheet where we'd have more visitors.

I still think that the argument against that would be: People love the ride. On a really busy day it gives folks something to do and really eats up the crowd. It's a proven "win".

Second to them replacing it: How is it that they've let it sit there for nearly 20 years, dormant? They didn't even bother to tear it down. I can't name any other amusement park chain that does that unless there's some pending litigation. If a ride isn't being used, they remove it. At Disney, they just rope off the queue line for a few decades.

yensidtlaw1969

View attachment 148864
I am familiar with Project Gemini.

The thing that gets me is how Tomorrowland and Future World were able to coexist within Walt Disney World by their diametric approaches to their similar themes. This was pushed further into being when Tomorrowland received its '94 update, leading it away from covering ground similar to Future World and towards a vision of the future that was even more suited to The Magic Kingdom.

The genius of their distinctions was that Tomorrowland was Science Fiction, while Future World was essentially Science Fact. It worked much more intimately with the nature of genuine possibility and real-world cutting edge technology to present an exciting working vision for the future.

It was bad enough when Nemo and Ellen moved in, but to have the Energy Pavilion completely replaced with Guardians of the Galaxy is to move squarely in the direction of Science Fiction, with seemingly little opportunity to turn back.

Maybe the ride will be great - I'd be happy to see that it is. But it's damning to perhaps the greatest theme any Theme Park has ever showcased. Damned as it has already been, it's a shame to see it consecrated like this.

EDIT: To fix crazy formatting issue. That's what I get for posting from my phone . . .

Last edited:

wdwfan4ver

All of the ideas discussed are wonderful. We think it is unlikely that anything will be done. The primary description that applies to Epcot, and WDW as a whole, we think, is lazy. Rather than innovate, it is much easier to regurgitate, especially on things like Frozen, "new" Soarin theater, Nemo, TT, etc. etc. Highest ROI, to them, seems to mean lowest I. New doesn't have to mean incorporation of pre-existing IP, although TDO would vigorously disagree.
I think this issue is deeper than TDO because Burbank has a bigger say in this. TDO isn't calling the shots like it did in the past such as not allowing Monster inc. Door Coaster in DHS back in 2007. Burbank wanted a Frozen ride at WDW and have it open as soon as possible.

The Chairman of the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Bob Chapek is responsible for choosing Epcot for Guardians of the Galaxy and for TOT getting the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay in DCA. Chappie wants Marvel to be in the USA parks in WDW as soon as possible because of his retail background. His retail background causes him wanting IP stuff into the parks if they sell lots of merchandise.

Last edited:

jt04

So then, we now know that the old EPCOT is dead. Long live the new Epcot by whatever name it will have.

Couldn't be happier. This also means future funds will go to the parks rather than a 5th gate for the foreseeable future.

aladdin2007

I think this issue is deeper than TDO because Burbank has a bigger say in this. TDO isn't calling the shots like it did in the past such as not allowing Monster inc. Door Coaster in DHS back in 2007. Burbank wanted a Frozen ride at WDW and have it open as soon as possible.

The Chairman of the Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Bob Chapek is responsible for choosing Epcot for Guardians of the Galaxy and for TOT getting the Guardians of the Galaxy overlay in DCA. Chappie wants Marvel to be in the USA parks in WDW as soon as possible because of his retail background. His retail background causes him wanting IP stuff into the parks if they sell lets of merchandise.

and that infuriates me, all because hes a retail guy and yet knows probably nothing about the parks, so he replaced staggs?

aladdin2007

So then, we now know that the old EPCOT is dead. Long live the new Epcot by whatever name it will have.

Couldn't be happier. This also means future funds will go to the parks rather than a 5th gate for the foreseeable future.

if it were up to you they would just bulldoze the whole place down

MKeeler

What if Figment was guiding us through five different large-scale environments themed to the emotions?

Actually could be a fun concept and a nice lesson for kids about emotions.

And no, I'm not suggesting this is a concept being developed. I don't actually know as I'm not convinced the JII refurb has been fully-committed to.

My thought has been that the Inside/Out characters, in particular Bing Bong, would be most beneficial as a replacement for HISTA/Captain EO. That way you would have Dreamfinder and Figment in the ride attraction to show you that "everything is possible if you use your imagination" and Bing Bong in the film attraction to show you that it's important to put your heart into your dreams and imagination. A way to have the two attractions balance the pavilion and complement each other.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom