News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DCBaker

Premium Member
A few aerials from Bioreconstruct.

FyYXw6vXwAEiEkO.jpeg

James Alucobond

We went from a glorious fountain centerpiece to some trees and concrete (oh, and Walt on a toilet).

Yeah, it’s amazing.
Dude, they said they liked five unique gardens better than a pin trading booth in the center of a shadeless abyss. Not every positive comment has to be treated like a wanton slap across the face of your childhood with a palm-turned signet.

Disney Analyst

Sorry an improvement would be more attractions at Epcot and doing something with that empty pavilion.

Well, that is a great discussion for a different thread. We could discuss all the ways this Epcot redo went off the rails.

But this thread is discussing the updated Future World (now World Celebration), which as stated I believe to be an improvement on what was once there, apart from removing the symmetry.

UNCgolf

I'm not sure how anyone could think this isn't an improvement over what was there before this construction started -- other than the loss of the Fountain of Nations, which is still a tremendous shame.

Whether it's an improvement over original EPCOT is a different question (my answer is no, it is not better than the original), but that had already been destroyed and replaced with concrete.

Disney Analyst

I'm not sure how anyone could think this isn't an improvement over what was there before this construction started -- other than the loss of the Fountain of Nations, which is still a tremendous shame.

Whether it's an improvement over original EPCOT is a different question (my answer is no, it is not better than the original), but that had already been destroyed and replaced with concrete.

And frankly, more and more of us will have never experienced original Epcot. Ever seen a Future World that was actually thriving. My first Epcot experience was in 2013.

So based on the Epcot I have known, and the Epcot many in similar circumstances to me will know, it is a clear improvement.

I understand many have very strong emotions and nostalgia for an Epcot long gone, but the truth is, it was decayed long before they planned these changes.

Vinnie Mac

We went from a glorious fountain centerpiece to some trees and concrete (oh, and Walt on a toilet).

Yeah, it’s amazing.
You as an Epcot fan should be familiar with and even entertained by change over time, no?

I think this looks great. It needs a water feature for sure, but the area looks great compared to what it replaced.

abaker1975

Looking forward to the park opening up again. I did think it would be further on than what it is though. Those pictures seem to show a lot more "dirt" than I thought there would be. Is all that dirt mostly just waiting for plants?

James Alucobond

Looking forward to the park opening up again. I did think it would be further on than what it is though. Those pictures seem to show a lot more "dirt" than I thought there would be. Is all that dirt mostly just waiting for plants?
The eastern portion is pretty much fully paved. The west has most of the main path paved but not the areas that run through the gardens. The walls and curbs of Dreamers Point seem complete, but they look to be adding gravel before they pave the elevated portions. Much of Communicore Plaza is paved as well. The south end where the Fountain of Nations used to be and the western passage toward The Land are still pretty void of ground cover, though. But do keep in mind that in these shots, much of the paved area has protective covering to prevent damage from construction vehicles, so it won't look all that great.

Haymarket2008

I thought they were doing a full revamp of paving throughout the remnants of Future World. Seeing the new pavement compared to the old patchwork of yesteryear isn’t great on the eyes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom