News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Rethinking started well before demolition was complete. Much like Please Island it was town down because they said they were going to tear it down even though there wasn’t the foggiest idea of what would actually be done with the space afterwards.

Yeah, but when bulldozing started, they had no intention of just rebuilding the outline of Communicore SW, no?

doctornick

Because they wasted a bunch of money on demolition. The Festival Center wasn’t based on programmatic need or desires. An accessible roof is expensive.

Okay, but the principle there is that it would be a long term revenue generator. Obviously, they could sell rooftop access in the evenings which (to me at least) seemed like the whole point of the building on stilts to begin with. Also, it doesn't have to be "rooftop" per se, but could also work as an extra floor with large windows facing the WS lagoon.

I'm just saying if you are going to build something anyway, I'm surprised they did not include that element of the design as a way to make money. Seems odd for 2022 Disney.

doctornick

So, does anyone know what kind of stuff is going to go in Communicore Hall? Is it going to have actual exhibits full time to see or will it be only used to house festival adjacent activities?

At the very least, once it is built, can we have the Canada CircleVision actually be used as an attraction year round?

mightynine

So, does anyone know what kind of stuff is going to go in Communicore Hall? Is it going to have actual exhibits full time to see or will it be only used to house festival adjacent activities?

Character Spot and since they mentioned working kitchen, guessing mainly festival stuff.

Disstevefan1

1651843237100.png

I like that they brought back some of the symmetry in the layout and I like they brought back The communicore name as a tribute. It makes as much sense as “connections” and “creations”

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
I personally like the new plans. I think as plants grow in, the garden will be a favorite of many in search for some shade and just the overall atmosphere. Just coming back from Disneyland Paris, one of my favorite parts of the park was the mature landscaping and the Fantasyland gardens. If we could get an ounce of that here in FL, it will be very welcome.

Of course, no one predicted the pandemic would happen and the parks would get shut down when they started demolition. I’d assume they had to furloughed/lay off most of the original Epcot redesign staff during that time as nothing was going on and no idea of when the market would return. I’m happy that in light of budget cuts, they are able to simplify the design and refine it so that it still works with the new design direction of Epcot as well as bringing back some of the original layouts from the 80’s. I’m already quite impressed with the Creations wing with its vast open windows and I can’t wait to see how the gardens would look from eating at the cafe. It’s already MUCH better than the dark/dingy era of Innoventions.

No Name

Then I guess I don't understand the sentiment that they tore down a building only to replicate it?

They bulldozed one building to just rebuild the same thing in a new shape.
I mean cmon they pretty much did. I’d guess that if they knew how much they were scaling back plans, they’d have never bulldozed it.

Well, it does start with a "C". So, they're getting close...
Yeah this was very conscious… Creations Shop, Connections Cafe, Communicore Hall. Poor Journey of Water won’t even connect so I guess the name is fine.

mysto

Okay so has anyone noticed that the Harmonious barges are absent in the new concept art?

Well, the artist wants his/her work to look good, so the barges were left out. There's a real risk the project would have been cancelled if the board were allowed to see the look of the actual final result. ;) Unfortunately the rest of us in the real world will probably still have to look at doc octopus or whatever it's called.

I do like the plan in general. I wish they had kept the mushroom building.

On the topic of WHY they tore down the west building, I'm in the camp that thinks they were forced to tear it down. Could have been a sinkhole or sewage or any unsafe situation really. Disney's looking at the rehab cost and decides to just update the whole area, add an attraction, something could have prompted the entire project. I kinda think someone would have leaked that to us by now though.

DfromATX

I think there was a pandemic or something. Does anyone else know if there was a pandemic?
You don't say??? :rolleyes:

That still doesn't explain why changes to their plans. They were still going forward with everything until now. It seems to me that Disney bounced back just fine.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom