News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Casper Gutman

Considering 3 of the 4 festivals have been around since the 90's, I'm not sure what you are upset about. It isn't like they just started them a few years ago.

The Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival

Debut: 1994 (April 29 - June 5, 1994)

Epcot International Food & Wine Festival

Debut: 1996 at Epcot (September 28 - October 27, 1996)

The Epcot International Festival of the Holidays (Holidays Around the World)

Debut: 1996 (Premiered November 29, 1996)
Hah! I didn’t realize it lined up so perfectly with the start of EPCOTs decline. World of Motion closes, becoming the first of the FW masterpieces to be destroyed, and a few months later we get two of the three Festivals. It’s like flipping a switch - Festivals rise, EPCOT falls.

James Alucobond

Y'know, looking at the new design, I kind of wonder if they'll update the symbolism of the five rings in the EPCOT blossom. Each of the rings now points to part of the hub (Dreamers Point, Connections, Creations, Communicore, and Journey of Water), and each has a unique but related little wedge of space (the terraced gardens for Dreamers Point, some outdoor seating for Connections, a winding walkthrough for Creations, an orderly promenade for Communicore, and a cluster of vegetation for Journey of Water).

You could fairly easily tie the northwest ring to the classic value of "environment" and the southwest ring to "entertainment". The other three are difficult to tie to the original meanings of the rings, but they also practically write themselves in terms of new meanings.

rreading

They tore down CommuniCore to build CommuniCore.

What visionaries...
I imagine someone would know:

Purportedly for those who visited communicore (I was not one of them), there was commonly a smell in the area of the new forthcoming structure. Is it possible that there were significant plumbing/sewage issues in the structure that led them to consider razing it while leaving the other side intact.

Demoing one side without the one seemed idiotic to me but perhaps there was something of a reason.

But maybe they were just misguided

brb1006

View attachment 637105

Looks like the Epcot rings in the flooring light up
Still miss the fiber optic pavements.
mn9bzja0wtzz.jpg

epcot-future-world-construction-update-february-2020-11-lights.jpg.webp

PizzaPlanet

I’m confused why they can’t just… do the original plan. Including Spaceship Earth, Mary Poppins, Brazil, the bar on legs.

The parks seem to be doing quite well, and their competition is building an entire theme park from scratch right down the road.

lazyboy97o

I imagine someone would know:

Purportedly for those who visited communicore (I was not one of them), there was commonly a smell in the area of the new forthcoming structure. Is it possible that there were significant plumbing/sewage issues in the structure that led them to consider razing it while leaving the other side intact.

Demoing one side without the one seemed idiotic to me but perhaps there was something of a reason.

But maybe they were just misguided
The building was demolished for Iger’s ego because there was going to be a small, very expensive starchitect designed building.

Casper Gutman

Honestly, the whole thing looks... fine. Everything folks have noted is true - it needs a fountain, the edges should be rounded, but on the whole its inoffensive. The process was absurd, or course.

And I would expect this to be it for investment in WDW for the foreseeable future. No SSE, no Imagination. Honestly, after years of screaming into the void about the lack of new rides or proper maintenance, if I were CEO of Disney I would stand absolutely pat in Florida. Given the wild unpredictability and instability of the situation regarding that property, more investment would be madness. Even if the current imbroglio is resolved favorably for Disney, the evidence of how unstable the situation can become must preclude further investment. WDW is what it is for quite a while, I suspect.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

The "reimagining" of EPCOT is feeling more and more like a government infrastructure project.

Redundant and inefficient in design, massive overspending, revisions and delays during a longer than expected construction timeframe...

Also corners cut in an attempt to lower costs, that ultimately don't add up to much and make for a worse end experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom