News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Bocabear

The spatial organization is the thing though... Three buildings in a row...two are part of one neighborhood, one is part of another neighborhood that is disconnected completely from the neighborhood it is supposed to be part of...
So by naming a neighborhood that is nature they have made it so Imagination no longer fits the plan... World celebration Neighborhood is Spaceship Earth and a couple shops and dead space, World Discovery is Science Fiction, Space travel, and Auto Showroom...and I feel like creating the neighborhoods is what makes everything feel even more disjointed. Call the whole front of the park "Discovery World" and the back ,"World Showcase" Makes it easier than the convoluted, disorganized "neighborhoods" theme...
unless there is a whole lot more to the plan we don't know about that will bridge the gap...

James Alucobond

The spatial organization is the thing though... Three buildings in a row...two are part of one neighborhood, one is part of another neighborhood that is disconnected completely from the neighborhood it is supposed to be part of...
So by naming a neighborhood that is nature they have made it so Imagination no longer fits the plan... World celebration Neighborhood is Spaceship Earth and a couple shops and dead space, World Discovery is Science Fiction, Space travel, and Auto Showroom...and I feel like creating the neighborhoods is what makes everything feel even more disjointed. Call the whole front of the park "Discovery World" and the back ,"World Showcase" Makes it easier than the convoluted, disorganized "neighborhoods" theme...
unless there is a whole lot more to the plan we don't know about that will bridge the gap...
Yeah, I'm a bit befuddled that they broke the symmetry of the main plaza, thereby improving visual wayfinding by giving clear sightlines to the natural world pavilions, but still felt the need to chop up the neighborhoods. Like, if the goal was to give me a clear view of where I can go from the heart of the park and thus eliminate the confusing east/west nomenclature, why introduce a new naming scheme that creates weird pavilion clusters without clear boundaries?

lazyboy97o

Yeah, I'm a bit befuddled that they broke the symmetry of the main plaza, thereby improving visual wayfinding by giving clear sightlines to the natural world pavilions, but still felt the need to chop up the neighborhoods. Like, if the goal was to give me a clear view of where I can go from the heart of the park and thus eliminate the confusing east/west nomenclature, why introduce a new naming scheme that creates weird pavilion clusters without clear boundaries?
Clear views wasn’t a goal as the CommuniCore West was supposed to be replaced by a more rolling landscape. Your view would have been blocked by berms you would have to climb to get a clearer view.

Bocabear

if a clearer view was the goal they should have torn down all the buildings and had a 75 acre event lawn...not to give them ideas...lol

Clamman73

I could see the Moana area being a sort of entrance/introduction area to World Nature…If they close off again (if they’re going to?) the walkway next to Universe like it was and the only way into World Discovery is through “innoventions east” passthrough, then maybe there’s something there that introduces and defines the area you’re going into…but my question would be how Imagination is incorporated into World Celebration…unless there’s something up their sleeve that morphs it a bit more into the narrative in the future.…hmmmm

James Alucobond

Clear views wasn’t a goal as the CommuniCore West was supposed to be replaced by a more rolling landscape. Your view would have been blocked by berms you would have to climb to get a clearer view.
Fair enough, but one side would have clearly been the side with the expansive building and the other the side with the fountains and tiered building with rooftop garden, very clearly differentiating the east from the west. And I think the center was still supposed to have an unobstructed sightline to World Showcase from Dreamer's Point, yes?

Bocabear

It is all so random feeling... an interactive fountain area, acres of empty space, the imagination pavilion being cut off from the area it is supposed to relate to... At this point the only thing that would work would be to completely repurpose Imagination into something related to nature to tie the area together... or tear that down as well for more dead park space because clearly everyone loves spending $100+/day to walk around a big park that you can do for free anywhere in the world.

James Alucobond

It is all so random feeling... an interactive fountain area, acres of empty space, the imagination pavilion being cut off from the area it is supposed to relate to...
I mean, the contents are no more random than they were before because they’re, well, the same contents … a fountain, a shop, a restaurant, coffee, Coke, an interactive exhibit, event space, gardens, etc. It’s all just geographically remixed, which is also the greatest weakness of this redesign. If it’s going to perform all the same functions, why spend a ton shifting things around when the rest of the park needs that money?

UNCgolf

I mean, the contents are no more random than they were before because they’re, well, the same contents … a fountain, a shop, a restaurant, coffee, Coke, an interactive exhibit, event space, gardens, etc. It’s all just geographically remixed, which is also the greatest weakness of this redesign. If it’s going to perform all the same functions, why spend a ton shifting things around when the rest of the park needs that money?

That's the thing -- I think the Festival Center was the whole reason they were doing anything at all to the central plaza, and since that's not being built, they're basically adding nothing outside of Journey of Water. I think (hope) that will look nice, but it isn't any kind of significant addition. I'd rather have the Fountain of Nations back, since that was fun and relaxing to watch (I know they're supposedly building a new show fountain but I don't think there's any guarantee that happens at this point).

Who knows how much money they're spending, but they're spending it on almost nothing at this point. As you said, they're essentially just shifting things around.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I can't wait for Zach's next post about mowing the lawn or cleaning the toilets in World Discovery and how the original Imagineers planned for each toilet to be cleaned with their ingenious design of making them out of porcelain!
It is kinda sad when the star of Imagineering for the Walt Disney World parks can only talk about terrazzo and planting some trees...

DreamfinderGuy

THEY DID IT!!! They somehow managed to tie planting trees into the origins of EPCOT Center. 🤦‍♂️ My original comment was in jest, but apparently the PR writers read these forums for ideas. They also managed to hit most of the exasperating wording boxes as well - Iconic, perfect, etc.
In their defense, clean landscaping is legitimately an EPCOT principle. One they’ve essentially abandoned prior to now. This is, as simple as it may be, very EPCOT centered.

Bocabear

they don't need defending....Landscaping has never been an issue...it was the expansion of the hardscape and removal of landscape in just one section of the park that became the issue... The actual landscapes at EPCOT have always been beautiful...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
THEY DID IT!!! They somehow managed to tie planting trees into the origins of EPCOT Center. 🤦‍♂️ My original comment was in jest, but apparently the PR writers read these forums for ideas. They also managed to hit most of the exasperating wording boxes as well - Iconic, perfect, etc.
In my defense of JoW, I've been pointing out that as nice as the FW pavilions were for having an architecture that complemented their theme, the landscaping leading up to them has been quite generic and unthemed.

JoW (if done and placed correctly) should provide a landscape leading up to The Seas that is themed accordingly to its pavilion.

And now, UoE:GotG:CR is getting an matchingly themed landscaping.

Perhaps Test Track, which is built around the modern wonder of a gas-powered engine, could also update its landscaping... perhaps with a junkyard with tires and hubcaps and oil barrels everywhere? ;)

James Alucobond

they don't need defending....Landscaping has never been an issue...it was the expansion of the hardscape and removal of landscape in just one section of the park that became the issue... The actual landscapes at EPCOT have always been beautiful...
Eh, they've also allowed a lot of the plantings to grow beyond their intended maturity, which throws off the sense of scale in several sections of the park. While it's not the most egregious of issues, new trees and vegetation of appropriate size and maturity are welcome.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom