News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ppete1975

If you want to see how long I have been a member of the WDWMagic community...just click on my icon...go ahead...I'll wait.

Okay, now that that's over. I didn't "call them out". I responded IN SUPPORT of someone else's comment. It was CG who responded negatively to me. Im simply defending my point. Now against 3 people.

I am still in love with the version of EPCOT that I first encountered in 1989. I miss it dearly. Your facts are all very well laid out, very well researched and wonderfully communicated. And I agree 100%. Still...it doesn't change the fact that its not coming back...never will. What you are going to have is IP, upkeep issues and some architecture that you may deem unsatisfactory. Im sorry.
(Also, you may want to avoid references to Frank Lloyd Wright when talking about new architecture you don't admire. If I'm correct, a lot of his work was deemed foolish to his contemporaries but now honored by us.)
Actually i did look at how long you were a member, and changed my original statement towards you. BTW you started your comments to others that quickly devolved into insults. You basically said, "thanks for agreeing with me" but your an idiot because of...
And you are incorrect with flw, I am actually quite versed on his life, and his work. REgardless the point is still true regarding of the situation, the people in charge inherited EPCOT, instead of modernizing it (it needed it, it was dated and would only get worse) and reworking the vision into something that would work today they went the cheap easy lazy way that is destroying the parts that should have been saved. But that would have required real thought, and taking some risks and thats not the leadership we currently have.
You see it alot in the current house flipping market. They take amazing mid century homes and demo them into open modern floor plans, they get rid of what made the homes special. Yes they probably needed modern heat and air,, maybe updated electrical, all new appliances... but they should be left with the bones that made them the beauty that they were.

Mstr Gra-c

I try to find some nuance in modern attraction development that makes me appear deferential to Disney and critical of modern consumer tastes. I do think that development of the Guardians coaster project in EPCOT and the cloning of TRON in Magic Kingdom are examples of the company responding to consumer tastes in an incredibly cynical and flippant way. I don't want to use the word lazy because plenty of footsoldiers are definitely working hard on developing the attractions. I put a failure to challenge WDI to come up with a TRON concept that fits EPCOT (a Digital Frontier of TRON pavilion seems like a good enough fit like The Seas), and a Guardians dark ride that fits Tomorrowland on management. Take the most-value engineered idea of cloning a Space Mountain replacement in another castle park to be a Space Mountain... challenger? companion? in the biggest castle park is cynical and flippant. Tossing a roller coaster into EPCOT with little reasoning other than wanting to throw slop to the masses is cynical and flippant.

Trying to finagle an actual percentage belies the rhetorical point: there is some degree with which Wall Street has influenced how Disney management treats the company they are charged to run, but the multigenerational institutional rot is a problem that is apparent to most any stakeholder in the company, from frontline employees to now-wavering but once enthusiastic customers. Since the death of Frank Wells, the Disney difference has devolved from being a creative company challenging itself for the benefit of itself and its customers, into a Borg, an infinite maw. No one invested at any point in developing meaningful, transcendent production in the company has been at the head in almost 20 years. No one in the relevant EVP offices have either. Treating the domestic parks as a mature asset for the last two decades has been a self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts.

Flight of Passage was the first innovation in the domestic parks since, I don't know, Soarin'? Toy Story Mania feels too charitable, and I can't think of anything else between 1999 and 2015 (I guess it's hypocritical to not think that FoP is derivative of Soarin and Toy Story Mania IS derivative of any dark ride shooter that came before, but c'est la vie). Disregarding the need to develop and innovate the product allowed the parade of soul-sucking clowns from Pressler, to Staggs, to the final boss of Bob Chapek, to drive the most unique and defining division of the company into the ditch.

Now it's all we can come to accept and know; that the division has no higher ambition than making more money. Hey, it's a publicly traded, for profit American corporation. Making money is kind of the point! We're not children. In fact, I think people who focus on the parks division of the company can by and large have a more healthy approach to engaging with the company than the adults who froth over the latest movies or shows. Most anyone who aligns with these thoughts consciously visit the parks less, or otherwise engage with the parks in a way that separates less money from them than it would in the past.

Imagining that to be the ultimate solution to the plight is disingenuous. I have friends who work for the company. I have memories I love to share with people in my life now or might be in the future, because of the work the company has done. I recognize that so much of the value of the company, both on and off the balance sheet, comes from adequate stewardship of the domestic parks. Poor stewardship will rot the company out until it might be too late, but all we really get to do on here is complain about it.
Very well said. Very well thought out. This actually supports my case. Thank you.
The approach my be flippant and cynical. You know that, I know that, they know that. But that isn't what matters. (Its a shame, but it isn't.) What matters is sales, tickets. Cheeks in seats. Most people who visit Disney don't care about cynicism. They want to be a part of StarLord's crew. Thats it. As far as Disney is concerned, you can complain about ticket prices all day. But Disney will stroke your hair and tell you "everything is going to be all right" with their left hand, while taking your money with their right.
I was agreeing with you and in support up until this: "I have friends who work for the company. I have memories I love to share with people in my life now or might be in the future, because of the work the company has done." We all, all of us...not just Disney folks but everyone is supported by large multinational corporations in some way. Most people work for one or some sort of subsidiary or contractor. Your friends aren't special in that regard. Im sure they are great! Just not special in that regard. The livelihood of most, is linked to the management of some large corporation. I mean, Im from Detroit. You wanna talk about trusting your livelihood to large corporations...I have stories. And your emotional link to Disney, I share. I want to see it do good things also. But, what we are going to get, might be closer to the cynicism of IP, and slow cultural decline...luckily there's a tequila bar!

THEMEPARKPIONEER

New video of construction shows a pillar over where the festival center would be, but In many cases if could be for a more dumbed down festival center who knows. Seems to have been taken from the imagination pavilion. The pillar is to the right of the green lift and has rebar sticking out of it.
16804563-0902-4652-926B-E5D54188C0CD.png

Last edited:

fgmnt

New video of construction shows a beam over where the festival center would be, but In many cases if could be for a more dumbed down festival center who knows. Seems to have been taken from the imagination pavilionView attachment 595916
Getting any answers on this on or before the destination D event before Thanksgiving feels optimistic, but if you're going vertical at this point, what are we waiting for?

Mstr Gra-c

Actually i did look at how long you were a member, and changed my original statement towards you. BTW you started your comments to others that quickly devolved into insults. You basically said, "thanks for agreeing with me" but your an idiot because of...
And you are incorrect with flw, I am actually quite versed on his life, and his work. REgardless the point is still true regarding of the situation, the people in charge inherited EPCOT, instead of modernizing it (it needed it, it was dated and would only get worse) and reworking the vision into something that would work today they went the cheap easy lazy way that is destroying the parts that should have been saved. But that would have required real thought, and taking some risks and thats not the leadership we currently have.
You see it alot in the current house flipping market. They take amazing mid century homes and demo them into open modern floor plans, they get rid of what made the homes special. Yes they probably needed modern heat and air,, maybe updated electrical, all new appliances... but they should be left with the bones that made them the beauty that they were.
If you reread the original interaction, I made a blanket statement about people today wanting instant gratification. It's very true, we have shorter attention spans and are more desirous of being gladdened quicker. As a matter of fact, I made that statement as an understanding of why people think the way they do. Like..."Hey man, I get it." It was CG who cast passive aggressive dispersions my way. "It takes some guts..." or something like that. That is a classic bit of passive aggressive pearl clutching meant to say "How dare you question me", without actually saying it. Also I never called anyone an idiot...thats a bit hyperbolic. My point was don't mistake what you want for what you will get and be careful not to trust a corporation with your heart. We will all be better for it.
Also, look, I am not an architect, I appreciate FLW and only two things kind of stick out in my head where I may have gotten that idea. The Johnson Wax main supports and his quote about people who love old houses. Maybe that made me think he got some flack during his time.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

As for the pathway lights those are a little large, somethings going there whether it’s the egg you can tell not only from the pillars but also that rebar in front of your pic, they got the permit for that spot. That is the former Fountain View/ Club Cool area correct?

Clamman73

Walking around now extinct Future World yesterday, there’s still no real distinction as to what “world” you’re in…I mean the trash cans are different color but come on…who came up with that dopey idea to make it different names...just rename the whole future world. People want simplicity.

peter11435

Walking around now extinct Future World yesterday, there’s still no real distinction as to what “world” you’re in…I mean the trash cans are different color but come on…who came up with that dopey idea to make it different names...just rename the whole future world. People want simplicity.
This is still an active project that is nowhere near complete

castlecake2.0

This is still an active project that is nowhere near complete
Will there be more to differentiate going forward? I was thinking costumes but it would really work because all the attractions in the different “neighborhoods” are too different to share costumes... I guess music could be changed...? Landscaping?

peter11435

Will there be more to differentiate going forward? I was thinking costumes but it would really work because all the attractions in the different “neighborhoods” are too different to share costumes... I guess music could be changed...? Landscaping?
There will be additional signage and expanded graphics package. And yes there will be costume changes eventually

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom