News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

note2001

oh you are the one....
It was a fun idea initially but I don't think anyone leaving a legacy ever thought it would be the gigantic cemetary that it has become... Take the plates off the monuments and put them on the walls of the plaza discarding the monuments completely... or move the monuments plates and all to the sidewalk that goes to the bus loop... set in some landscaping it might look more appropriate... and then recasst the original Acrylic Pylon and restore the entry fountain!!.

The redesign of the clear cascading fountain to the mountain river look was a bad one. Made no sense at all except maybe an employee had to scrub it down nightly and this was in attempt to get rid of that job? They know it was a bad move as at one point not so long back, they attempted to add plants to it to try and spruce it up. Made it look more swamp like than ever.

Bocabear

The redesign of the clear cascading fountain to the mountain river look was a bad one. Made no sense at all except maybe an employee had to scrub it down nightly and this was in attempt to get rid of that job? They know it was a bad move as at one point not so long back, they attempted to add plants to it to try and spruce it up. Made it look more swamp like than ever.
I don't even know what you are talking about... Mountain to the river look?
It was modern and clean...i don't ever rember it looking swampy.... I remember rocks in the water...muck like all the water features around future world but was not aware it was supposed to represent a mountain to a river...

note2001

I don't even know what you are talking about... Mountain to the river look?
It was modern and clean...i don't ever rember it looking swampy.... I remember rocks in the water...muck like all the water features around future world but was not aware it was supposed to represent a mountain to a river...
The version we all loved was this one (from my little kodak):
EpcotFountain-old.jpg

Then in one swift move they removed the centerpiece and added the rocks, breaking up the flow of the water. To me it now resembles the Mad River (Running through NH) in the summer low water season.

I'm sure someone here has a pic of the 'greenery' they tested out in the fountain. It was horrible, and they removed it fast. The only image online I have found of it is from a blocked site, so I won't post it.

Captain Neo

Other than maybe The Land pavilion, Future World needs a TOTAL overhaul. I want a modern interpretation of the original intent of Future World where corporations sponsor pavilions that actually show amazing future technology that is in early phases of development or being talked about and some ambitious new rides (I dont necessarily mean thrill rides either but something like a modern dark ride like Journey into Imagination or something like Horizon).

Bocabear

View attachment 147909

Then in one swift move they removed the centerpiece and added the rocks, breaking up the flow of the water. To me it now resembles the Mad River (Running through NH) in the summer low water season.

I'm sure someone here has a pic of the 'greenery' they tested out in the fountain. It was horrible, and they removed it fast. The only image online I have found of it is from a blocked site, so I won't post it.
Ah ok, I was only ever referring to the original with the Acrylic pylon... it was beautiful... it has never looked right after the sculture was removed...It looks like what it is...a platform for a missing centerpiece...in the middle of a cemetary...LOL

Mike S

View attachment 147909

I'm looking at a photo on the side of my mirror of me in a carriage in front of that fountain right now...

brb1006

What really stands out to me from the 1989 video (besides the existence of Horizons) was the color scheme of the Journey Into Imagination building and the fullly-visible World of Motion building (without the scaffolding). JII looked so beautiful and downright profound. It just goes to show how these seemingly minor cosmetic alterations have changed the "feel" of Future World (because the original imagineering took into account how the buildings would complement each other).

But it also gives me hope that Future World is fully capable of looking and feeling that way again.
The orange and red color for the current look for imagination looks so ugly and lifeless.

V_L_Raptor

Other than maybe The Land pavilion, Future World needs a TOTAL overhaul. I want a modern interpretation of the original intent of Future World where corporations sponsor pavilions that actually show amazing future technology that is in early phases of development or being talked about and some ambitious new rides (I dont necessarily mean thrill rides either but something like a modern dark ride like Journey into Imagination or something like Horizon).

Early phases of development or being talked about might end up being something that dates fairly quickly (kind of the way Innoventions came off, IMHO). There's a need to see "future" as something appreciably more than "written into some company's strategic plan" or "what we might be able to crank out 6 CES's from now." There's the technology, and then there's what the technology changes life to be... and that had better not remain some cruddy animation from tablet screens mounted to the backs of seats on SSE.

jt04

Epcot 2.0

Conservatively speaking I would guess a 5th gate would cost anywhere from 1.5 to 2 BILLION in this day and age. I could see Disney instead deciding in 5 years or so to instead invest that in Epcot. This could include a resort and hotel attached to what is now Future World. I would not be surprised to see FW and WS renamed. And even the fruition of the rumor that the parks could be split into two separate gates. Although that seems unlikely now with park hopping and Magicbands.

Just some thoughts on Epcots 50th and the possibilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom