News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

HauntedMansionFLA

Epcot 2.0

Conservatively speaking I would guess a 5th gate would cost anywhere from 1.5 to 2 BILLION in this day and age. I could see Disney instead deciding in 5 years or so to instead invest that in Epcot. This could include a resort and hotel attached to what is now Future World. I would not be surprised to see FW and WS renamed. And even the fruition of the rumor that the parks could be split into two separate gates. Although that seems unlikely now with park hopping and Magicbands.

Just some thoughts on Epcots 50th and the possibilities.
With the right investment and vision, EPCOT could be brought back to its former glory. The infrastructure is there, attractions, empty pallivions that need attention. Plus, they could do it piece by piece and not have to shut a bunch of rides down. I would start with Ellen and where Captain EO use to be.

jt04

With the right investment and vision, EPCOT could be brought back to its former glory. The infrastructure is there, attractions, empty pallivions that need attention. Plus, they could do it piece by piece and not have to shut a bunch of rides down. I would start with Ellen and where Captain EO use to be.

That seems a given. I would add though that the WS and FW visions need a complete rethink. Modern Museums and ease of global travel have changed the original EPCOT model and made it obsolete. It is now perfect for re-Imagineering.

IMO

HauntedMansionFLA

That seems a given. I would add though that the WS and FW visions need a complete rethink. Modern Museums and ease of global travel have changed the original EPCOT model and made it obsolete. It is now perfect for re-Imagineering.

IMO
It will be interesting to see what direction Disney will take. Make it more like the Magic Kingdom with Disney characters all over or a re-imagined EPCOT.

Captain Neo

Early phases of development or being talked about might end up being something that dates fairly quickly (kind of the way Innoventions came off, IMHO). There's a need to see "future" as something appreciably more than "written into some company's strategic plan" or "what we might be able to crank out 6 CES's from now." There's the technology, and then there's what the technology changes life to be... and that had better not remain some cruddy animation from tablet screens mounted to the backs of seats on SSE.

Well Epcot Center in the 1980s was showing things that didn't come to fruition for a good 20-25 years later (We are still waiting on some of those things too) including video phones (FaceTime), Virtual Reality (Occulus & Playstation), advances in farming and GMOs, the advent of the internet, etc. etc. They need to refocus and work with companies like Microsoft, Tesla, and SpaceX that have bold long term plans where some things will pan out and others may not but they are being looked at.

Innoventions was always crap though. I remember when it very first opened they had demo booths for Sega Genesis even though Sega was already moved onto the Sega Saturn and 32-bit CD-rom consoles were on the verge of coming out. It was poorly thought out, poorly managed, and dated from the start.

SorcererMC

They need to refocus and work with companies like Microsoft, Tesla, and SpaceX that have bold long term plans where some things will pan out and others may not but they are being looked at.

I don't know about Microsoft and Tesla, but the rejuvenation of Florida's space industry is deservedly getting a lot of attention, and kids love it, too. I don't know how they could not work w/ companies on the cutting edge to keep any potential exhibits up to date; there is potential for it to be beneficial to both parties. There's a lot of room for improvement. I hope changes that reflect EPCOT's original themes come to pass, a renaissance.

DznyRktekt

It would make sense to merge the Wonders of life pavilion with Mission Space. The dome could be incorporated into a ride with star field planetarium. It would be a way to have a family experience in addition to the thrill of Mission Space. The entrance to Wonders could be routed through the Mission pavilion creating one grand Space. The larger pavilion would focus on space exploration and the future.

Last edited:

Bocabear

It would make sense to merge the Wonders of life pavilion with Mission Space. The dome could be incorporated into a ride with star field planetarium. It would be a way to have a family experience in addition to the thrill of Mission Space. The entrance to Wonders could be routed through the Mission pavilion creating one grand Space.
I agree Mission Spce is sort of a opne note experience...and the family friendly room feels like an arcade and jungle gym... Surely this could be expanded and made into a more complete experience without sacrificing another pavilion...Yes a planetarium type attraction would be wonderful... Even adding a family type ride like Universal did in Japan Space Fantasy spinning roller coaster...just to have another experience that would be more family friendly but not an arcade game...

FigmentJedi

IMO
If anything Epcot should embrace its museumness. Future World could be the ultimate science museum on steroids if they put their minds to it. Just like Animal Kingdom is a superzoo.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

IMO

I don't buy the "easier global travel/internet makes it easy to get information" argument for why WS needs to change. To me World Showcase isn't really meant to be a replacement for the real thing, but instead a way to introduce people to a bunch of other countries that they may not have been motivated to research or travel to on their own. So it's not a case of "I have no other way to learn about China, I have to go to Epcot", but instead the Disney name is attracting people to Epcot where they may discover that China is an interesting place, and then they can use other means to learn more about it.

willtravel

I don't buy the "easier global travel/internet makes it easy to get information" argument for why WS needs to change. To me World Showcase isn't really meant to be a replacement for the real thing, but instead a way to introduce people to a bunch of other countries that they may not have been motivated to research or travel to on their own. So it's not a case of "I have no other way to learn about China, I have to go to Epcot", but instead the Disney name is attracting people to Epcot where they may discover that China is an interesting place, and then they can use other means to learn more about it.
For me, I don't think the Norway pavilion now makes me want to do any research on for vacationing there.

note2001

For me, I don't think the Norway pavilion now makes me want to do any research on for vacationing there.

None of the pavilions themselves ever made me want to research or visit any of the places they represent, They're all glorified, tiny glimpses of what might be cool about the various locations they represent. Some of the stuff depicted isn't so great.

It's meeting the people working those attractions who come from the countries represented that have made me curious about visiting there.

Last edited:

willtravel

None of the pavilions themselves ever made me want to research or visit any of the places they represent, They're all glorified, tiny glimpses of what might be cool about the various locations they represent. Some of the stuff depicted isn't so great.

It's meeting the people working those attractions who come from the countries represented that have made me curious about visiting there.
I agree. I was able to talk to a few prior to visiting Mexico and Great Britain. Enjoyable conversations.

aladdin2007

Actually, a trip to Norway is on my bucket list because of the Epcot pavilion. It will probably be part of a larger Scandinavian trip, but I'm going. Someday.

Agree, I was mesmerized by it growing up and it did a great job of showcasing Norway, for its time. Not anymore, but at least there is still authenticity implemented with the new things, here and there, even though mostly exterior. Would like to get to the real one someday as well.

Ripken10

Agree, I was mesmerized by it growing up and it did a great job of showcasing Norway, for its time. Not anymore, but at least there is still authenticity implemented with the new things, here and there, even though mostly exterior. Would like to get to the real one someday as well.
What they have done to the pavilion has had me put in on my bucket list as well

Wdw62114

The Epcot name needs to go Disney should go the route of going back to an all out a worlds fair type park. Showcasing current and future innovation. I like the idea of getting big name companies to sponsor pavillions showing off current and future products. Microsoft, NASA, robotic companies, etc. Turn SSE exterior into looking like a giant globe like the NY wpuld fair in 64 I believe. The foundation is already layed out for this concept, they just need to make it happen.
New park name: Disney Worlds Exposition

TikiTorch

The Epcot name needs to go Disney should go the route of going back to an all out a worlds fair type park. Showcasing current and future innovation. I like the idea of getting big name companies to sponsor pavillions showing off current and future products. Microsoft, NASA, robotic companies, etc. Turn SSE exterior into looking like a giant globe like the NY wpuld fair in 64 I believe. The foundation is already layed out for this concept, they just need to make it happen.
New park name: Disney Worlds Exposition
Should the companies that sponsor pavilions be permitted to sell goods and services to guests from their pavilion? Should you be able to pay a down payment toward a future space tourism flight? Should you be able to buy "smart" appliances for your home, or other things? Alternative energy supplies for homes & small businesses?

Bocabear

Should the companies that sponsor pavilions be permitted to sell goods and services to guests from their pavilion? Should you be able to pay a down payment toward a future space tourism flight? Should you be able to buy "smart" appliances for your home, or other things? Alternative energy supplies for homes & small businesses?
Wasn't there once a reservation desk at the exit of If You Had Wings?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom