News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

DC0703

That insane hourly capacity needs to be emphasized as INSANE. Many fond memories mid-80's of riding Horizons and WOM back to back, over and over — at all times of the year — and, if you ever encountered much of a line, it was usually just a few minutes. No fastpass needed; the simple efficiency of the omnimover system was (and still is) unmatched. Same story with the original Imagination attraction.

The problem with the ride at the Seas is that as it was eventually built, it was just too short. I suspect that originally it was designed to be longer.
I agree about the lines for Horizons and WoM, very efficient and always near walk-ons. Original Imagination on the other hand did have pretty long lines. I have memories of waiting over an hour for Imagination on multiple occasions - the capacity was lower due to not having the continuous stream of vehicles like the other attractions.

UNCgolf

I agree about the lines for Horizons and WoM, very efficient and always near walk-ons. Original Imagination on the other hand did have pretty long lines. I have memories of waiting over an hour for Imagination on multiple occasions - the capacity was lower due to not having the continuous stream of vehicles like the other attractions.

I think the hourly capacity of Imagination and Horizons was roughly the same. Imagination was an omnimover just like Horizons and WoM, although I believe WoM's capacity was a bit higher than the other two.

People who didn't really like EPCOT and what it offered (heathens!) still generally loved Imagination, so it makes sense it would have occasionally had longer lines.

Homemade Imagineering

However, Motion was indeed (another) design and engineering marvel. Possibly the most detailed of all legacy attractions. The Centercore score still sends goosebumps today. Not to mention it had a very healthy ride time and an insane hourly capacity. And yes. It was very, ve
Well said. WoM was pure whimsy, and it's certainly one of those underrated attractions that not too many remember, because Test Track wasn't a complete disaster of a replacement in the eyes of the public, when compared to JII's demise, or Horizon's demise. One of the most interesting things I found in your tribute video, were all of the details on what had to be modified when converting WoM to Test Track. For example, how the current test barrier exit used to be where the old Invention of the Wheel show scene was located. That's something that always interests me, how attractions are gutted for their replacements, and where things were located within those old attractions compared to their replacements.

Haymarket2008

Well said. WoM was pure whimsy, and it's certainly one of those underrated attractions that not too many remember, because Test Track wasn't a complete disaster of a replacement in the eyes of the public, when compared to JII's demise, or Horizon's demise. One of the most interesting things I found in your tribute video, were all of the details on what had to be modified when converting WoM to Test Track. For example, how the current test barrier exit used to be where the old Invention of the Wheel show scene was located. That's something that always interests me, how attractions are gutted for their replacements, and where things were located within those old attractions compared to their replacements.

Thats the one show building I have ZERO concept of layout in regards to “where World of Motion” used to be.
You can figure it out with JII, for example, but Test Track is just so different than WoM.

Rich Brownn

I think the hourly capacity of Imagination and Horizons was roughly the same. Imagination was an omnimover just like Horizons and WoM, although I believe WoM's capacity was a bit higher than the other two.

People who didn't really like EPCOT and what it offered (heathens!) still generally loved Imagination, so it makes sense it would have occasionally had longer lines.
Because of the inability to synch with the carousel, the cars would stop and start at load and unload, impacting capacity. Its why the moving walkway at unload was turned off.

SpaceMountain77

A statue is the best current management can come up with. Walt and his name are used almost exclusively to justify changes to the parks and to attempt to placate long-time fans.

When executives of the Walt Disney Company speak, I often recall a quote from William Shakespeare's The Merchant of Venice. The quote is, "The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose."

To me, whenever something executives know to be controversial is to be announced, someone, somewhere in the company, finds a letter, notebook, recording, or some other historical record with a quote from Walt.

A massive hotel tower, fitting of the Las Vegas strip, that celebrates Spanish culture in a resort that was originally themed to Mexican and Southwest American cultures? We have a storyboard from 1945! Poof! Justified.

A Marriott Resort with a nondescript European theme, that is not specific to the French or Italian Riviera, but has a lightly executed mansard roofline? We have pictures of Walt visiting Europe with Lillian! Poof! Justified.

A Marriott Resort with a nondescript nature theme, that this chock full of every possible woodland animal IP, and built on the former River Country site? We have a quote! Walt once said that the wonders of nature are endless! Poof! Justified.

SpaceMountain77

While I'm not a huge fan of the Journey of Water plan, I think the Nemo theming at the Seas is more thematically incongruent with the rest of the pavilion and the Journey of Water than the Journey of Water is with the Seas itself.

Journey of Water would make a lot more sense leading to the original Living Seas pavilion design than it does leading to a Finding Nemo ride.

About 20 years ago, at the beginning of the century, there was an earnest desire to reduce animal programs and, specifically, raze The Living Seas. Much to the chagrin of many EPCOT Center purists, the pavilion received an IP overlay, which actually saved it from demolition. The loss of the pavilion was a real possibility. @marni1971 , I suspect that you are positioned to confirm this possibility.

While I do appreciate and understand the architectural loss and infusion of another IP, for me, Journey of Water fortifies the continued presence of animal programs at The Seas. Although I do not know what has been recently investigated, scientists from The Seas, studying cognitive processes in dolphins, were actively presenting the results of visual perception investigations at the 2017 Annual Psychonomic Meeting.

As silly as the reference may sound, the heart of te fiti, therefore, may be viewed as the heart of World Nature, sustaining this section of Epcot.

Brer Panther

About 20 years ago, at the beginning of the century, there was an earnest desire to reduce animal programs and, specifically, raze The Living Seas. Much to the chagrin of many EPCOT Center purists, the pavilion received an IP overlay, which actually saved it from demolition. The loss of the pavilion was a real possibility. @marni1971 , I suspect that you are positioned to confirm this possibility.

While I do appreciate and understand the architectural loss and infusion of another IP, for me, Journey of Water fortifies the continued presence of animal programs at The Seas. Although I do not know what has been recently investigated, scientists from The Seas, studying cognitive processes in dolphins, were actively presenting the results of visual perception investigations at the 2017 Annual Psychonomic Meeting.
I suppose there's still a chance of them getting rid of the aquariums in The Living Seas altogether and adding in more Nemo stuff in their place, if for no other reason than because aquariums are presumably expensive to maintain. I could be wrong, though.

Horizons1

So I was perusing random things and I found an article about the Lebanon International Fair. It’s somewhat interesting if you’re into abandoned places and world’s fair type things. Anyway, one of the pictures of the remaining buildings of the abandoned fair shows a building with a striking resemblance to Communicore.
AC601404-E563-4904-9152-1453451CBF9A.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom