News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Latest demo pics from today

Epcot_Full_40137.jpg

Wngo905

In the Parks
No

doctornick

But your phone can't recreate Scene 17 from World of Motion (the traffic jam). Several pages of Marc Davis: In His Own Words are dedicated to the "Transportation Pavilion", with lovely paintings of the various gags. IPCOT won't even try something like this:

View attachment 518574
World of Motion is criminally underrated. I know it got a decent replacement but I don’t understand why Horizons gets more attention

doctornick

While I'm not a huge fan of the Journey of Water plan, I think the Nemo theming at the Seas is more thematically incongruent with the rest of the pavilion and the Journey of Water than the Journey of Water is with the Seas itself.

Journey of Water would make a lot more sense leading to the original Living Seas pavilion design than it does leading to a Finding Nemo ride.
When it was announced, my feeling was the JoW was the most EPCOT-y thing coming to the park and would generally be grudgingly approved of by classic Epcot fans (in the same vein that Rat usually is). To my surprise, it has drawn a lot of ire instead.

I mean, some educational aspect, looks pretty, IP seems relatively well integrated and small, ties in with classic Epcot pavilion. Seems like good comprise for an IP mandate including the placement as a lead in to the Seas.

Animaniac93-98

World of Motion is criminally underrated. I know it got a decent replacement but I don’t understand why Horizons gets more attention

I think it's because Horizons better represented EPCOT as a whole and its demise was seen as the end of what the park originally stood for.

Plus as you suggested, people generally like Test Track vs Mission: SPACE which is more polarizing.

UNCgolf

I think it's because Horizons better represented EPCOT as a whole and its demise was seen as the end of what the park originally stood for.

Plus as you suggested, people generally like Test Track vs Mission: SPACE which is more polarizing.

This is basically what I was going to say. I think Test Track generally gets a much better reception than Mission: SPACE, and I also think Horizons was a bit better than World of Motion overall.

That doesn't mean World of Motion wasn't phenomenal, because it was -- it's just that Future World collected a bunch of Disney's all-time greatest attractions in one place. Some had to be slightly less beloved than others.

doctornick

This is basically what I was going to say. I think Test Track generally gets a much better reception than Mission: SPACE, and I also think Horizons was a bit better than World of Motion overall.
Obviously, YMMV, but I just disagree. I think WoM was a far superior attraction, but I’ve previously spoken about how I think Horizons is quite overrated. Horizons always seems to be held in high esteem in these pages due to its concept and I get how inspiring the idea of it is and it had some impressive groundbreaking tech for the time, but as an actually ride it was pretty meh. It was the most lecturey of the Epcot classics, wasn’t really dynamic, no memorable music. The most significant thing was the choose your own ending, which sounds more impressive than the experience was.

WoM was hilarious and entertaining, with a very catchy tune, some distinctive effects like the speed tunnel and peppers ghost effect on the vehicle. It was one that I remember riding over and over when open (along with Imagination) because of how much fun it was.

I’ll admit that there’s pretty much nothing groundbreaking in WoM but I think that’s the thing for me - it shows how a quality ride is all about how it’s put together just just the individual effects. WoM was one of those rides of Epcot (along with original Imagination) that would have been able to stand the test of time if it had persisted. It’s really unfortunate that they didn’t add Test Track next to WoM - they would have perfectly complemented each other.

I know I’m an outlier on this, but much of classic Epcot is just seared into my brain and memories and Horizons just isn’t. I really don’t remember it at all unless I watch videos.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Obviously, YMMV, but I just disagree. I think WoM was a far superior attraction, but I’ve previously spoken about how I think Horizons is quite overrated. Horizons always seems to be held in high esteem in these pages due to its concept and I get how inspiring the idea of it is and it had some impressive groundbreaking tech for the time, but as an actually ride it was pretty meh. It was the most lecturey of the Epcot classics, wasn’t really dynamic, no memorable music. The most significant thing was the choose your own ending, which sounds more impressive than the experience was.

WoM was hilarious and entertaining, with a very catchy tune, some distinctive effects like the speed tunnel and peppers ghost effect on the vehicle. It was one that I remember riding over and over when open (along with Imagination) because of how much fun it was.

I’ll admit that there’s pretty much nothing groundbreaking in WoM but I think that’s the thing for me - it shows how a quality ride is all about how it’s put together just just the individual effects. WoM was one of those rides of Epcot (along with original Imagination) that would have been able to stand the test of time if it had persisted. It’s really unfortunate that they didn’t add Test Track next to WoM - they would have perfectly complemented each other.

I know I’m an outlier on this, but much of classic Epcot is just seared into my brain and memories and Horizons just isn’t. I really don’t remember it at all unless I watch videos.
You lost me when you said Horizons had no memorable music. Did you ever enter Space at just the right moment in the score? And lecturey? Hardly. Any touchscreen in Energy Exchange would preach more.

However, Motion was indeed (another) design and engineering marvel. Possibly the most detailed of all legacy attractions. The Centercore score still sends goosebumps today. Not to mention it had a very healthy ride time and an insane hourly capacity. And yes. It was very, very funny.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

You lost me at “lecturey” and “no memorable music”. WoM does deserve more attention, as it was a fantastic attraction. Both Horizons and WoM were cut from the same cloth.

michmousefan

However, Motion was indeed (another) design and engineering marvel. Possibly the most detailed of all legacy attractions. The Centercore score still sends goosebumps today. Not to mention it had a very healthy ride time and an insane hourly capacity. And yes. It was very, very funny.
That insane hourly capacity needs to be emphasized as INSANE. Many fond memories mid-80's of riding Horizons and WOM back to back, over and over — at all times of the year — and, if you ever encountered much of a line, it was usually just a few minutes. No fastpass needed; the simple efficiency of the omnimover system was (and still is) unmatched. Same story with the original Imagination attraction.

The problem with the ride at the Seas is that as it was eventually built, it was just too short. I suspect that originally it was designed to be longer.

Haymarket2008

You lost me when you said Horizons had no memorable music. Did you ever enter Space at just the right moment in the score? And lecturey? Hardly. Any touchscreen in Energy Exchange would preach more.

Horizons, arguably, has the best score written for an attraction. Ever. An absolutely stunning composition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom