News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

dreday3

I really wish it wasn't. I hate having Starbucks (or any other chain) inside the parks. Even if you serve Starbucks coffee, at least call the store something else and design something unique instead of just having a Starbucks like what exists every half mile throughout the country.

I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed...

Magic Feather

I really wish it wasn't. I hate having Starbucks (or any other chain) inside the parks. Even if you serve Starbucks coffee, at least call the store something else and design something unique instead of just having a Starbucks like what exists every half mile throughout the country.
But... that's exactly what they've been doing (temporary EPCOT location excepted).

UNCgolf

But... that's exactly what they've been doing (temporary EPCOT location excepted).

Only to an extent. The other parks were better than EPCOT (even the permanent location in EPCOT), which is why I'm bringing it up in this thread, but it's still a problem everywhere. The temporary location was horrendous, but not really the issue. Furthermore, those places also all existed pre-Starbucks. It's certainly possible that they'll just essentially build a Starbucks for the new location at EPCOT.

There was a giant Starbucks logo above the door heading into Fountain View. There's one in the window of the Main Street Bakery too (not as prominent. Creature Comforts has a big logo next the door and says Starbucks Coffee right underneath the Creature Comforts sign. They all sell Starbucks branded items. That's really what I'm talking about. Of course it could be much worse than it is, but it could be a lot better too.

I didn't like when they served McDonald's food with the McDonald's logo on the buildings either. It's not about serving food from those companies; I couldn't care less about that. It's that it detracts from the themed environment they've constructed. I know it's nothing new -- original Disneyland had sponsored restaurants (although I think part of that was just to be able to afford to get the place up and running) -- and it's a minor thing overall, but the parks are still better without it.

And doesn't every park also have a Joffrey's for those who hate Starbucks?

Joffrey's is a problem too! And for the same reasons I mentioned above.

Last edited:

FigmentFan82

Only to an extent. The other parks were better than EPCOT (even the permanent location in EPCOT), which is why I'm bringing it up in this thread, but it's still a problem everywhere. The temporary location was horrendous, but not really the issue. Furthermore, those places also all existed pre-Starbucks. It's certainly possible that they'll just essentially build a Starbucks for the new location at EPCOT.

There was a giant Starbucks logo above the door heading into Fountain View. There's one in the window of the Main Street Bakery too (not as prominent. Creature Comforts has a big logo next the door and says Starbucks Coffee right underneath the Creature Comforts sign. They all sell Starbucks branded items. That's really what I'm talking about.

I didn't like when they served McDonald's food with the McDonald's logo on the buildings either. It's not about serving food from those companies; I couldn't care less about that. It's that it detracts from the themed environment they've constructed. I know it's nothing new
-- original Disneyland had sponsored restaurants (although I think part of that was just to be able to afford to get the place up and running) -- and it's a minor thing overall, but the parks are still better without it.

I mean it could be worse. McDonalds could be in the parks...

Ldno

There was a giant Starbucks logo above the door heading into Fountain View. There's one in the window of the Main Street Bakery too (not as prominent. Creature Comforts has a big logo next the door and says Starbucks Coffee right underneath the Creature Comforts sign. They all sell Starbucks branded items. That's really what I'm talking about. Of course it could be much worse than it is, but it could be a lot better too.

I didn't like when they served McDonald's food with the McDonald's logo on the buildings either. It's not about serving food from those companies; I couldn't care less about that. It's that it detracts from the themed environment they've constructed. I know it's nothing new -- original Disneyland had sponsored restaurants (although I think part of that was just to be able to afford to get the place up and running) -- and it's a minor thing overall, but the parks are still better without it.

So you don’t like any brands outside of disney?

I thought it was crazy to buy fries at epcot from Macdonald’s, but still never really cared if they sold Starbucks or not, what gets me though is how they not affiliated with Starbucks and are just vendors, like i.e. I can’t use my starbucks rewards card in the parks or target for example. It’s annoying

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Isn't most food service branded in the parks even if it's not the brand of a national chain?

After all, you can eat at "Casey's" and not "Hot Dog Bar."

_caleb

Isn't most food service branded in the parks even if it's not the brand of a national chain?

I'd prefer more of these "in-world" brands like Casey's, and I'm with @UNCgolf on outside brands. I get that loads of guests need their Starbucks, but why not a Mickey branded version (or Mrs. Potts' Tea or whatever)?

As UNCgolf mentioned, there's a long history of brands in the parks (hello, Chicken of the Sea Pirate Ship, Carnation, Hills Bros Coffee, et al!). But a joint approach to branding that keeps some sibilance of theming would be nice, IMHO.

_caleb

E.g., Aunt Jemima herself!
unnamed.jpg

UNCgolf

Sure, but that's the difference. An in-theme fictional brand isn't an issue the way real world brands are; they don't intrude on the theming.

There could be areas where real world brands fit the theme (I don't really have any issues with Twinings in the UK pavilion, as one example), but it's rare.

There's also a difference between selling the real world brands and putting their logo everywhere.

FigmentFan82

Sure, but that's the difference. An in-theme fictional brand isn't an issue the way real world brands are; they don't intrude on the theming.

There could be areas where real world brands fit the theme (I don't really have any issues with Twinings in the UK pavilion, as one example), but it's rare.

There's also a difference between selling the real world brands and putting their logo everywhere.
R-C-A...knows the way!🎶

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom