News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Seeing a still just makes this a truly priceless little moment. Just look at those faces! Hundreds of millions of dollars being spent and the best Bob can muster is “More trees.”
Bob clearly doesn't understand that trees in a model are used as a visual guide and not meant to represent literally every tree or shrub in the final version.
I remember when Eisner had them rip out a staircase in Paris since it spoilt the sightlines. After it was installed.

At least Uncle Mike understood his product. Much like you know who.

_caleb

I remember when Eisner had them rip out a staircase in Paris since it spoilt the sightlines. After it was installed.

At least Uncle Mike understood his product. Much like you know who.
Sightlines, intimate nooks and pathways, lighting, unique/appropriate/on-theme merch in shops, signage, hidden infrastructure, kinetic energy, background music, color schemes that work—these are the details that all add up to show quality.

These are also the things that have largely been lost in the parks during recent leadership (despite the way-too-specific recommendation that the Cars Land model needed more pretend trees).

lazyboy97o

Sightlines, intimate nooks and pathways, lighting, unique/appropriate/on-theme merch in shops, signage, hidden infrastructure, kinetic energy, background music, color schemes that work—these are the details that all add up to show quality.

These are also the things that have largely been lost in the parks during recent leadership (despite the way-too-specific recommendation that the Cars Land model needed more pretend trees).
Details are only details if they support a bigger idea. The parks have become more cluttered with ornament and stuff, but they lack that larger unifying idea.

He's not wrong though. If his only creative input is "more trees" than he's letting creatives be creative. Great, now I'm defending Iger, look what you made me do.
We know he gets more involved, from the big picture with the franchise mandate to demanding the 11th hour rework of World of Color. In a show that distorted so much to puff up Iger, that the best they could find is him suggesting trees at what looks to be the wrong time says a lot.

He made a post talking about asymmetry as a design choice and how he appreciates it. Nothing to do with EPCOT whatsoever, but when you look at the plans for the asymmetrical spine that he's leading it just worries me.
So? Asymmetry can be a powerful design language. The central spine of Future World does not have to be symmetrical. Neither symmetry nor asymmetry are the key to success.

Horizons1

At least those were interesting buildings designed by a major architect (even if I'm not a big fan).

Much better than the standard box tower that would have been built without Eisner's involvement, and that we're getting now with the Riviera and the... Swan Reserve (it's hard to even type that ridiculous name).
The Cove did sound much better, didn’t it.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
At least those were interesting buildings designed by a major architect (even if I'm not a big fan).

Much better than the standard box tower that would have been built without Eisner's involvement, and that we're getting now with the Riviera and the... Swan Reserve (it's hard to even type that ridiculous name).

Wait... they changed the name to ... that???

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
They think it sounds more “boutique“ like?

Maybe it’s a British thing but the first meaning that came to my mind is what Americans call an alternate on a team. In other words, the back-up option. So if I was told I would be staying in the Swan Reserve, I’d be asking for a move, pronto! 😲
Just about to say that myself.

Second only to “limited time” magic.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
They think it sounds more “boutique“ like?

Maybe it’s a British thing but the first meaning that came to my mind is what Americans call an alternate on a team. In other words, the back-up option. So if I was told I would be staying in the Swan Reserve, I’d be asking for a move, pronto! 😲
A creature of being in a profession for so long, I always use reserve as a finance term, you hold a little budget back as a contingency. Those are "reserve" dollars. Either way, they certainly didn't spend much time on this name :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom