News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

azox

Possibly reading a bit too much between the lines.

I'll say it. EPCOT Center is dead. It was the most fantastic, amazing, awe inspiring park. Epcot killed it.

Give it five years or so. Epcot v3 could sit somewhere between the two.

Does this mean that Innoventions west will remain closed for five years? It doesn't seem like they are doing anything in that area. it's so sad to see.

odmichael

You know what I stand by what I said. If they can truly find a unifying concept for Epcot and truly stick behind it with purpose then so be it. I'm not saying shove a cute IP in every country because the movie took place there, but if they find ways to bring IPs into Future World in smart ways then ok.
The key is they must add new creations and not replace existing ones with IPs. Add not replace. As long as they don't go overbored and they continue to create new, original material, Epcot will always be Epcot.

Phicinfan

It truly is heartbreaking though. I'm sure there are some who are so snug because their idea of having cartoons in Epcot may finally happen and their little princess will be pleased. Yet I hope nobody ever forgets the wonder and majesty of EPCOT Center.
First I am not belittling your point of view, and I get how this park has come so far from what it was...

But could Epcot center really been able to survive? Technology has come so far, and I never expected to live my life with a computer in my home, let alone 5 of them if you count Ipads and smart phones.

Just saying some change is necessary, due to how things have changed currently, and hopefully they get closer to that kind of view.

clemmo

I never got to experience the original Epcot but it sounds amazing so anything even close to that would be amazing to finally get to experience. Thanks for all the great info from everyone on here!

MerlinTheGoat

I'll say it. EPCOT Center is dead. It was the most fantastic, amazing, awe inspiring park. Epcot killed it.
raining_david_tennant.gif

Give it five years or so. Epcot v3 could sit somewhere between the two.
I'm going to regret posting this. I'll preface this by saying that I don't mean to offend anyone with this message. Nor am I dissing your comments on the matter Martin, I still have the utmost respect and trust for what you post.

I'm not sure if I care about Epcot v3, even though you've said you're cautiously optimistic. If EPCOT Center is truly dead, and nothing they do in the future will even attempt to adhere to its original mission, then I don't know what to think. What I do know is i'd be very disappointed and find it hard to enjoy the park, even if some of the new stuff was quality when judged in a vacuum (without comparisons to EPCOT classics).

I'll of course wait to hear more about this, maybe i'm wrong. As I said, I trust you Martin and know you "get" EPCOT. If you have any sort of optimism then i'll at least wait and see what they end up announcing before writing it off entirely. I'm simply concerned at the moment, hopefully unfounded.

Bocabear

The key is they must add new creations and not replace existing ones with IPs. Add not replace. As long as they don't go overbored and they continue to create new, original material, Epcot will always be Epcot.
That is the truth... They have closed and shuttered several attractions, even a whole pavilion with no replacement, and then their next addition comes art the cost of removing yet another attraction...in a park that is already suffering from having too few attractions....reopen what is currently closed ((Wonders Of Life Communicore Innovations)... then revive what is needed (Energy Imagination) then create and add all new attractions and experiences throughout the park...

MerlinTheGoat

But could Epcot center really been able to survive? Technology has come so far, and I never expected to live my life with a computer in my home, let alone 5 of them if you count Ipads and smart phones.
I've seen this question before. I mean no offense in saying this (I have computers, phones and tablets myself that I love), but it's somewhat short sighted to think Disney would be unable to "keep up" based solely on these devices.

EPCOT's glimpses into the future were far more grand. Certainly there were areas such as Communicore and Innoventions that focused on more everyday leaps in technology. But the larger scale attractions handled future prediction on another level entirely, the focus was on much bigger and more ambitious things than cellphones or computers. Horizons had scenes depicting underwater cities and space colonies, which are still largely out of reach (even for the very rich, let alone for the average person). Any updates required would have actually been more aesthetic than conceptual, not that hard to imagine Horizons existing in this day and age had it just been given some minor tweaks over the years.

There was actually generally a greater emphasis on looking into the past than the future. The vast majority of Spaceship Earth covers ancient history, moreso than anything futuristic. Same goes for World of Motion. Only the last couple of scenes (which are easily changed without replacing the rest of the ride) depicted anything remotely futuristic. Even the first half of Horizons is dedicated to how people from the early 1900's into the mid 1900's thought the future would turn out (all these scenes would require no changes whatsoever). Imagination was never about future prediction, it was about how the mind takes "sparks" of abstract thought and uses them for creativity (art, performances and science).

While i'm sure the creators didn't intend for the rides themselves to be gutted and replaced entirely, they did intend certain aspects of the park to be continually updated (particularly Communicore and Innoventions). Spaceship Earth was one example that was updated multiple times, it is on its fourth version now. Horizons was also intended to get a similar upgrade before a new sponsor arrived and mandated a different attraction. Many attractions didn't need much updating at all, just occasional upgrades to projectors or animatronic or whatever.

Last edited:

FigmentForver96

I've seen this question before. I mean no offense in saying this (I have computers, phones and tablets myself that I love), but it's somewhat short sighted to think Disney would be unable to "keep up" based solely on these devices.

EPCOT's glimpses into the future were far more grand. Certainly there were areas such as Communicore and Innoventions that focused on more everyday leaps in technology. But the larger scale attractions handled future prediction on another level entirely, the focus was on much bigger and more ambitious things than cellphones or computers. Horizons had scenes depicting underwater cities and space colonies, which are still largely out of reach (even for the very rich, let alone for the average person). Any updates required would have actually been more aesthetic than conceptual, not that hard to imagine Horizons existing in this day and age had it just been given some minor tweaks over the years.

There was actually generally a greater emphasis on looking into the past than the future. The vast majority of Spaceship Earth covers ancient history, moreso than anything futuristic. Same goes for World of Motion. Only the last couple of scenes (which are easily changed without replacing the rest of the ride) depicted anything remotely futuristic. Even the first half of Horizons is dedicated to how people from the early 1900's into the mid 1900's thought the future would turn out (all these scenes would require no changes whatsoever). Imagination was never about future prediction, it was about how the mind takes "sparks" of abstract thought and uses them to.

While i'm sure the creators didn't intend for the rides themselves to be gutted and replaced entirely, they did intend certain aspects of the park to be continually updated (particularly Communicore and Innoventions). Spaceship Earth was one example that was updated multiple times, it is on its fourth version now. Horizons was also intended to get a similar upgrade before a new sponsor arrived and mandated a different attraction. Many attractions didn't need much updating at all, just occasional upgrades to projectors or animatronic or whatever.
This

munchiezxx

I agree but sadly todays generation I think is clueless on Epcot Center. :(
My 10 year old sister is obsessed with EPCOT Center. She always asks to watch videos of Horizons and Journey into Imagination and all the rest. Now she's showing all her friends the videos too.
EPCOT Center will never lose its charm.
Maybe Epcot can't be EPCOT Center but it can still be something great.

JWG

5 years seems fair. With Avatar, Star Wars, and Toy Story Land coming on line 2017-2018 and the 2016 AK work, Epcot in 2019-2020 in time for 2021 makes sense. It feels like forever, but the staging makes sense.

clemmo

5 years seems fair. With Avatar, Star Wars, and Toy Story Land coming on line 2017-2018 and the 2016 AK work, Epcot in 2019-2020 in time for 2021 makes sense. It feels like forever, but the staging makes sense.
I still have hope Disney has something planned for DHS after SWL which will hopefully be done in 2018. Hopefully MK will get something for the 50th. Martin said something about expansion not just being limited to epcot and I believe others said property wide a lot more proposed so it'll be interesting to see what that may mean.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom