News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Alejandro

EPCOT Center was an integral part of my growing up, by showing you how we got to where we are in Communications, Energy, Motion, Agriculture and mixing in the Imagination side (how our minds create creations) it surely has fueled as much as Star Trek or Star Wars have.
It was never supposed to stand still, there are still many more amazing things to come.
I agree that technology grows in leaps and bounds, but the huge milestones are still out there, space travel, undersea exploration, neural nets. Replacing some gadgets in the scenes, shifting them around a bit, and still showing you what's next in communicore and innoventions, it can be Epcot 3.0
In my country scientists are developing plasma engines to take us to mars, Musk has Hyperloop dreams, and dammit, I still want my flying car! haha

WEDwaydatamover

"EpCoT" is kind of lost in parentheses. It's been too dumbed-down in places where it should be nerded-up!

It's sad, outside of Disneyland this was once my favorite Park.

For me- beers around the world and then back again sustained the Park long after the bloom left the rose.

...and crown

Epcot should be the high-water mark at WDW.

Progress.City

raining_david_tennant.gif

I'm going to regret posting this. I'll preface this by saying that I don't mean to offend anyone with this message. Nor am I dissing your comments on the matter Martin, I still have the utmost respect and trust for what you post.

I'm not sure if I care about Epcot v3, even though you've said you're cautiously optimistic. If EPCOT Center is truly dead, and nothing they do in the future will even attempt to adhere to its original mission, then I don't know what to think. What I do know is i'd be very disappointed and find it hard to enjoy the park, even if some of the new stuff was quality when judged in a vacuum (without comparisons to EPCOT classics).

I'll of course wait to hear more about this, maybe i'm wrong. As I said, I trust you Martin and know you "get" EPCOT. If you have any sort of optimism then i'll at least wait and see what they end up announcing before writing it off entirely. I'm simply concerned at the moment, hopefully unfounded.
You know that the original park cost $1.5 billion in 1982 dollars, right? To rebuild it to its original glory in today's dollars would be catastrophic.

MerlinTheGoat

You know that the original park cost $1.5 billion in 1982 dollars, right? To rebuild it to its original glory in today's dollars would be catastrophic.
Already stated, that was from undeveloped swampland. It was also including World Showcase, and we're only discussing Future World right now. The buildings are already there, they just need to fill them with better attractions and do some minor cosmetic work here and there.

I think you could potentially fix Future World for $1 billion, maybe less actually. Another benefit is that Future World doesn't really require a lot of expensive rockwork, which would save countless millions if they didn't use any.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Possibly reading a bit too much between the lines.

I'll say it. EPCOT Center is dead. It was the most fantastic, amazing, awe inspiring park. Epcot killed it.

Give it five years or so. Epcot v3 could sit somewhere between the two.
That sounds very promising. Like all things WDW I won't get my hopes up but at least they have acknowledged there is a problem and have some plans to fix it besides just adding some toons to existing attractions. Thanks for the update.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Possibly reading a bit too much between the lines.

I'll say it. EPCOT Center is dead. It was the most fantastic, amazing, awe inspiring park. Epcot killed it.

Give it five years or so. Epcot v3 could sit somewhere between the two.

I'll sign for this!

I mean, look, EPCOT Center is the toothpaste, it's all out of the tube. We can't jam it back in, and lately we have just been sitting with a dumb empty toothpaste tube. If we can get some new toothpaste, even if it's not quite as minty fresh as the original, it beats the pants off the empty tube we've been squeezing the life out of for a decade+.

P_Radden

I'll sign for this!

I mean, look, EPCOT Center is the toothpaste, it's all out of the tube. We can't jam it back in, and lately we have just been sitting with a dumb empty toothpaste tube. If we can get some new toothpaste, even if it's not quite as minty fresh as the original, it beats the pants off the empty tube we've been squeezing the life out of for a decade+.
In a fun way, this is a really good analogy. Well said.

Bocabear

In a way it is quite shocking when you look back at the entire WDW Resort from like 1996.... how many attractions disappeared in ALL of the theme parks...every park now has fewer attractions than 20 years ago... EPCOT actually has shuttered complete pavilions and buildings and restaurants...and yet the prices rise every year... Yes we get that there is a little happening right now with Pandora and the Star Wars Land and Toy Story Land crap, but dear God, how did it have to get to that point before anyone actually noticed... EPCOT is very fixable, and has the bones of the most beautiful theme park ever built...and built for huge capacity... They really need to give it the love it deserves...I would gladly give up the budget for the Toy Story Land addition to be able to have Future World fixed... Does anyone know what the figure was for the remodel of Imagination when it was done?? Bet it wasn't 120 million...bet it wasn't even close.

Alejandro

Already stated, that was from undeveloped swampland. It was also including World Showcase, and we're only discussing Future World right now. The buildings are already there, they just need to fill them with better attractions and do some minor cosmetic work here and there.

I think you could potentially fix Future World for $1 billion, maybe less actually. Another benefit is that Future World doesn't really require a lot of expensive rockwork, which would save countless millions if they didn't use any.
But someone somewhere is imagining super expensive themed bathrooms

ToTBellHop

and yet another ridiculous Character Hug Zone...cuz it is cheaper than actually building attractions...
But not cheap to run relative to guest count. Disney actually would rather have FEWER M&Gs but people demand them. Having all of the character actors plus all of the attendants required for something like the Mickey M&G at Epcot (with three characters) to get an hourly throughput of about 250 guests per hour (REALLY!) is not an efficient use of money.

Four 3-D shows in each park would be better. But repetitious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom