• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Mike S

Advertisement
And all that could have been...

View attachment 431493

- and lost for a bar on legs.
Saved before the Disney ninjas swoop in.

Also I take it this plan is the one you referred to once as leaving enough money to also redo Imagination for the same price as what they’re doing now.

Crazydisneyfanluke

Hopefully it doesn't become a phase two that never happens. I know "Festival Center" makes folks cringe but I was looking forward to this the most, oddly enough. LOL.
I hope it gets pushed to phase 3... :happy: I wouldn't mind it if it wasn't so tall, bulky and lack of use per square foot. Starbucks, a large M&G, Club cool for a bar and a festival center.

Marc Davis Fan

View attachment 431493

Thanks for sharing this, Martin!

This is definitely better than what the area had turned into before the overhaul - with the pin station, tacky entrances for Mouse Gear / Electric Umbrella / Starbucks / Club Cool, etc.

...but to be completely honest, the concept art for what we're getting looks at least as nice, IMHO. The "bar on legs" actually looks like a really cool piece of architecture that will add to the Epcot skyline, and the removal of Inventions West (RIP, thanks for the memories) actually does seem like it will open up the space to "World Nature" in a nice way.

Count me as optimistic, so far, for the design we're getting...

DoleWhipDrea

Never. His solution to cost-cutting was closing beloved attractions and then letting them rot without any intention of updating. He’s the reason a lot of classic favorites are now gone. Even worse, due to such cost cutting, guest safety derailed under his watch and it had very, very serious consequences for guests at the parks.

View attachment 431493

This design makes far more sense than what they’re planning. It maintains the layout of the park, keeps things nice and symmetrical, and serves multiple functions.

sedati

1575839923157.png
Sorry, I don't prefer this. Looks like a set of placemats. The bar on legs should at least serve as a unique feature and visual draw. This is trees and nondescript buildings. The walled city is broken up, but the addition of trees probably only confuses the layout more. Epcot overwhelms at the entrance, then immediately underwhelms. This is the core, the heart. This should be pathways to discovery. A feast for the eyes, pulling you in every direction. There is no sense of time. Of place. Of direction. Of purpose.
This looks like a pleasant spot to take your lunch break at your job in the nice office park/open air mall. This is less inspired than the uninspired Tomorrowland work everyone keeps swooning over. If this was a new project there would be riots on this board. I'd place this on par with California Adventure's original Sunshine Plaza.

Last edited:

sedati

Is symmetry really a good thing in relation to crowd flow at tourist destinations? I would think distinct sightlines would be preferable for navigation. Is there any other theme park in the world that utilizes a similar design?

Imagine Disneyland if you entered through the castle instead of the train station. You then arrive in a hub which is nothing but an endless curving brick facade surrounding some nice landscaping. Exotic Adventure, Frontier Fun, Medival Fantasy, and Futuristic Thrills lie beyond... somewhere... probably. But boy, isn't the back of that castle a thing of beauty?

Last edited:

DoleWhipDrea

The original design of EPCOT Center was very concerned with ease of guest flow and sensical direction. It’s design is inherently connected to Disneyland and Magic Kingdom’s design (which has been hailed as monumental for urban planning) with its hub and spoke design. The current plans have done away with that. The greenery is a welcome change, but the currently planned layout is lopsided and messy, IMHO.

Another way to think about it: What would Main Street look like if you tore out one entire side and replaced it with a park?

Top Bottom