News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

ToTBellHop

Corporate syngergy. Iger and Chapek are determined to get as much popular or current IP into the parks as possible to attempt to make those who ride it buy the DVD, those who buy the DVD to want to make a trip to the parks. Very shortsighted IMHO but what do I know.
I at least wish they'd leave that mentality to DHS and MK, where it's more appropriate, and leave DAK and Epcot to those of us who fancy ourselves Parks and Resorts purists. Forcing movies into Epcot while the movie park has five rides is ridiculous.

hpyhnt 1000

I at least wish they'd leave that mentality to DHS and MK, where it's more appropriate, and leave DAK and Epcot to those of us who fancy ourselves Parks and Resorts purists. Forcing movies into Epcot while the movie park has five rides is ridiculous.

Yep. Literally a1/3 of that park has been demolished, yet are only getting 4 new rides (barely replacing what was taken out) based on 2 IPs. Add to that the never-ending replacement of rides rather than expanding through new construction (GMR, ToT at DCA, Frozen, NFL to some degree). The end result is thematic chaos in just about every US Disney park that will take decades to undo, if at all. Not to mention the constraints put upon WDI, who are forced to shove IPs into existing rides rather than being allowed to come up with something completely new. Kablam! indeed.

But to bring this back to Epcot, it's also the way IPs are integrated with little regard to their surroundings. Nemo joining The Living Seas could have worked quite well, with Mr. Ray leading us on a tour of sort of the oceans with cameos by others. But no, let's basically retell the movie instead. :banghead:

CrescentLake

Right now JIIWF is deemed acceptable. Energy is not. The building needs major work, there's major ride system and show issues, and the image of Ellen isn't..... deemed 2017.

Every time in the past 4 years I have tried to ride Energy, I have been evacuated due to technical issues. Every. Time. That area of the park is so dead and lifeless that I almost don't even like going there. As you said, I think at this point it needs more love than Imagination. (But Imagination would be next). And the empty WOL is an abomination.

brb1006

If the rumours are true I really don't understand the way things are going. WDW appears determined to reduce itself to place for families with little kids rather than being the vacation kingdom of the world.

Disney could introduce IPs to Epcot in a way which still supported the ideals of the park, although many people don't like pandora the PR spiel all supports the new land upholding animal kingdoms ideals so why not do this at Epcot?

There are loads of IPs which could work in future world. Obvious ones ones would be Ludwig Von Drake or Bunsen Honeydew and Beaker taking us on a map cap journey through a future world topic or maybe a ride based on the classic goofy how to series on a similar topic. Having nemo at the seas might not be the best example but you could build on this concept - there are a wide variety of nature and animal IPs to use at the land if you wanted to, dream finder and figment are crying out for a return, inside out could be a good fit for a new health pavilion maybe even combined with the incredible teaching us about the limits of the human body, or a torn based look at the internet.

Yes any park needs a good mix but there is no reason why Epcot can't modernise itself and still stay true to its values - all it takes is some creative thinking
Say what you will about IP's, but I always found Ludwig Von Drake to be somehow very fitting for Epcot since he's one of those characters that make learning fun and fascinating at the same time.

IanDLBZF

It sounds to me like they are really shooting for a nice blend of EPCOT Center and modern Disney with this Epcot V3.0 overhaul. Retain some core aspects of the park like edutainment but make it more palatable for today's guests with Disney IP tie-ins (GotG) and more thrills (MS updates). And if this is the case, I believe we have a lot to look forward to. When all this work is completed, the park should look & fell better than it has in decades.
Not all of you agree with @P_Radden, but I feel IP or not Epcot may have a bright future to look forward too. Plus I heard there could be a few non-IP attractions coming to World Showcase (rumored Loch Ness Monster attraction, plus the growth of the Society of Explorers and Adventurers). You may not like what @P_Radden has to say, but you have to agree that he keeps it real. He's a true hero for our troubled times.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Same here. Even with Future World, if it fits and stays with theme then I'm fine with that too, no problems.
Such as the proposed GotG ride replacing Universe of Energy. Not even Martin has told us what the ride is about at all. Does it have anything to do with energy? If yes, then I'm OK with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom