News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

doctornick

But, let me be very clear, this ride makes absolutely no sense in Epcot's Future World. I'm very sad to watch the further dismantling of Epcot's theme and cohesion. Pretty soon there won't be a discernible theme for the park at all.

To be somewhat fair to Disney, they could certainly re-theme all of part of Future World to some other concept which might actually work for the collective properties. I'm not optimistic about it, but the issue shouldn't be whether GotG fits into the current Future World, but whether it fits into the land as it exists when the ride opens.

It would probably make some sense to split FW up into multiple different lands with different themes, at the very least splitting up East and West FW.

mimitchi33

I liked this one, personally.

This was my favorite recent ad for Walt Disney World. I recall seeing it in theaters before Muppets Most Wanted:

Here's a recent commercial that features Epcot. I guess it's made for kids who see it.

Fans of old school Epcot might find it ...odd. Although, it's just about new stuff there.

This is something Disney Junior does often. They've done a few other Disney Parks ones and trips to other places, too. I know this beca
Also, HANK THE SEPTOPUS IS IN TURTLE TALK WITH CRUSH? I have never seen a video showing the scene which he appears during before. I've only seen clips which show Bailey, Dory and Destiny. Does anyone have a clip of Hank in this show? I'd love to see what he did in it!

Ralphlaw

I loved the GotG movie. It was fantastic. Just a breath of fresh air in a landscape of predictable and overwrought SciFi movies. And, I would love a GotG ride. The source material has a lot to offer when it comes to ride possibilities.

I also agree that Epcot is in dire need of updating and the addition (reinsertion?) of more rides and experiences. The last time I visited the park, in 2013, I was overwhelmed by how diminished it was. This is very disheartening to me as Epcot was by far my favorite park as a nerdy, optimistic child.

But, let me be very clear, this ride makes absolutely no sense in Epcot's Future World. I'm very sad to watch the further dismantling of Epcot's theme and cohesion. Pretty soon there won't be a discernible theme for the park at all.

I agree, big time. Honey I Shrunk the Audience at least had some cool science behind it even though it was an IP. But what does Michael Jackson have to do with any of this? Or Nemo? Or even Soarin' for that matter? The theme has been diluted for a long time, including when the park was originally built. We all know that Walt wanted Epcot to be a living and breathing experimental city, not just a futuristic theme park with a bunch of country pavilions on the south end. Face it, Epcot is evolving, and some evolution is not necessarily welcomed.

Again, IPs can be used to push the Epcot theme of cool futurism, and I am very hopeful that the Imagineers will achieve that instead of a lame rehash of the movies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Given the planned layout I can't see how that area could be accessed in the future. The two main show buildings will run almost the full length of the south east park boundary.

Yeah, if anything it will be used for back stage space. With the re-routing of the entrance road and the release of the conservation easement on the area marked in blue, DHS now has a huge area for potential expansion.

upload_2016-8-19_10-18-1.png

doctornick

Given the planned layout I can't see how that area could be accessed in the future. The two main show buildings will run almost the full length of the south east park boundary.

Well, that's dumb. Even if you have no impending plans to use a space, why would you willfully cut off potential expansion pads? Surely, they could configure Star Wars in a way to allow for enough of an opening for a future guest path if needed (said space could be filled with trees for the time being).

Edit: Do you mean south west boundary, @marni1971 ? Because the area I am thinking about is that southwest area on the other side of the in park retention pond and the triangular plot inside the current toll road.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Well, that's dumb. Even if you have no impending plans to use a space, why would you willfully cut off potential expansion pads? Surely, they could configure Star Wars in a way to allow for enough of an opening for a future guest path if needed (said space could be filled with trees for the time being).

Edit: Do you mean south west boundary, @marni1971 ? Because the area I am thinking about is that southwest area on the other side of the in park retention pond and the triangular plot inside the current toll road.
No, south east and south. Delos will pretty much be built out from the MV theatre to World Drive. Basically using the current DHS toll booth approach road as its back of house boundary. Refer to that sketch I did again. There will be no easy route from current SWL to the south east and beyond, behind the show buildings. Save for backstage / fire access.

Potentially expansion from what I can see will be either due west if and when Maintainence Base is moved, and perhaps onto the berms between TSL and the GMR building. Though any build on these two plots would in themselves have to have sightline and theming shielding qualities.

doctornick

No, south east and south. Delos will pretty much be built out from the MV theatre to World Drive. Basically using the current DHS toll booth approach road as its back of house boundary. Refer to that sketch I did again. There will be no easy route from current SWL to the south east and beyond, behind the show buildings. Save for backstage / fire access.

Potentially expansion from what I can see will be either due west if and when Maintainence Base is moved, and perhaps onto the berms between TSL and the GMR building. Though any build on these two plots would in themselves have to have sightline and theming shielding qualities.

Not my picture, but I'm talking about the areas circled in yellow and red in the following picture. Could those areas be accessed for future expansion? I thought they would be able to and might be possible locations for additional SW in the future if needed.

upload_2016-7-29_19-43-44-png.153989

Bocabear

Wow...but wouldn't it have made more sense to have relocated the Muppet section of the park to behind Sunset Ranch area...including Mama Melrose, then you could have taken Star Tours and exited the attraction in the new Star Wars land...like traveling to another planet...VS Star Tours... then walk through the muppet area to another part of Star Wars themed park... to me that just doesn't make sense...

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Not my picture, but I'm talking about the areas circled in yellow and red in the following picture. Could those areas be accessed for future expansion? I thought they would be able to and might be possible locations for additional SW in the future if needed.

upload_2016-7-29_19-43-44-png.153989

Sort of.... the area in red could be a show building but it wouldn't be that big with the Falcon building edging up to it. It would have to be accessed from the yellow area, which as it stands is neither that big nor being released anytime soon.

DisneyGentlemanV2.0

Good grief, change to Epcot can't come quick enough. Pic found on twitter of Epcot doing its best to simulate a 90's-era mall environment.
https://twitter.com/johnhensler/status/766706889090600961
The photo booth goes so well with the massage chairs.
View attachment 156492
I love this picture, because it so completely captures what WDW has become...

Don't it always seem to go,
That you don't know what you've got til its gone
They paved paradise and put up a parking lot

flyerjab

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom