Big changes coming to Annual Passes

halltd

I haven't seen this mentioned on here yet, but I may have missed it. Forgive me if it's already been discussed.

I've always had a FL resident pass, so I don't think this applies to me. But, my family lives in Ohio and they all have regular APs. I talked to them last night and they told me they always pay a "renewal rate" which is way less than the posted price. They apparently checked last night as well, and their "new" renewal rate is still much less than the posted price for a Premium Pass. Yes it went up, but they don't need to pay $800 for a new pass.

So, why do all of the AP holders on here only talk about the posted prices and not their "renewal" rates since everyone is talking about "do I renew or not"?

I'm a bit confused.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I haven't seen this mentioned on here yet, but I may have missed it. Forgive me if it's already been discussed.

I've always had a FL resident pass, so I don't think this applies to me. But, my family lives in Ohio and they all have regular APs. I talked to them last night and they told me they always pay a "renewal rate" which is way less than the posted price. They apparently checked last night as well, and their "new" renewal rate is still much less than the posted price for a Premium Pass. Yes it went up, but they don't need to pay $800 for a new pass.

So, why do all of the AP holders on here only talk about the posted prices and not their "renewal" rates since everyone is talking about "do I renew or not"?

I'm a bit confused.

They will get 15% off of the posted price as their renewal incentive. So an $800 pass will cost them around $680

Same here, I don't imagine ever NOT being a Passholder. For the first time, though, I did have some numbers to crunch. I never go during the 2 weeks of Christmas break anyway, unless the family did (which they won't now) or the rare time I go for NYE, so why pay $200 for those 15 days? If I go to WDW for more than a week in a year, then I'll still get the Premiere. If not, it'll be the DL Signature Pass and regular WDW admission media for me. For WDW, the AP benefits are "lacking" anyway so between DVC, D23, Disney Visa, I really won't lose much.
It's kind of no brainer to get the cheapest annual pass when you live so close now. I mean why would you even want to go on the busiest days anyway if you can go in February?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Given the choice - which isn't realistic? No. Free spending > Savvy

I know some APs who spend a ton, but even they can't match the money a once in a lifer throws down in a week. I also know some of the biggest Cheap Skates out there

So why offer bounce backs? Why the constant communication from Disney Destinations after your trip?

They want repeat visitors. They want APers. They just want them at higher price points.

Visiting more frequently doesn't increase your disposible income. Disney wants to increase their share of your discrectionary spend.. and ensure each trip includes you spending as much as possible.

There is always a range.. this is not A or B. New customers cost a lot to capture.. repeat customers who are loyal are cheap to attraction, but can be more expensive to retain over time... their spend can be high, but overtime will slide compared to 'fresh meat'. Go further along the scale and the person's load on the park can start to exceed their spend.

Every business wants to increase 'opportunities' to convert into sales... that means stuff the gates. But ultimately you move beyond stuffing and say "I want a specific type of customer... not just any" because of the greater potential.

The "lets have a family Disney vacation" from the family that comes in frequently is Disney's whale. Body for body they represent the highest potential... but frequent visitors are valuable to because they start to discover the other spending options the noobs may be too overwhelmed to find. So there is a sweet spot in terms of frequency and buyer-awareness... but simply saying "I'm a frequent customer, who spends a lot" doesn't make you the most desirable body to have committed your finite capacity to. This is DLR's problem.. far worse than WDW's. Too much of the capacity is being consumed by discount admissions and high repeat customers whose average spend is low compared to if that same spot was filled by a day tripper.

Right. They want both. One timers and multi timers. We agree.

POLY LOVER

Here is the email.............

Thank you for being a Walt Disney World® Passholder!

Today we are introducing a new portfolio of Passes that has been designed to offer a wider variety of options and entitlements to best fit the needs of our Passholders. As a valued Guest and frequent visitor to Walt Disney World Resort, we want you to be among the first to know about these program enhancements.

Rest assured that your current Pass has not changed and your existing benefits will remain valid through your Pass's expiration date. When it is time for you to renew, you will have a new set of Pass options that offer great flexibility and value to enjoy our Walt Disney World Theme Parks, and even some new benefits!

Please remember, your current Pass has not changed and your existing benefits remain valid through your Pass's expiration date. And because you're an existing Passholder, when your Pass does expire, you will be able to purchase any of these new Pass options at a special Passholder renewal rate – of up to 15% savings†!

The upcoming year will be an exciting one at Walt Disney World Resort, with new Star Wars™ experiences at Disney's Hollywood Studios® and new nighttime entertainment debuting at Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park this spring. We sincerely hope you are enjoying your current experience, and will continue to join us for another year as a valued Walt Disney World Passholder.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Looked it up-they must've increased them a bit already. You pay $30 for day 4, $10 each days 5-10. That's insane, no wonder the magic kingdom is so crowded

You're exactly right. I fall into the trap all the time. An extra Disney day for $10 or a single day at USO or SEA, value wise, there's no comparison. But, that extra day is always at least partly a 2nd or 3rd MK day.

asianway

So why offer bounce backs? Why the constant communication from Disney Destinations after your trip?

They want repeat visitors. They want APers. They just want them at higher price points.

Right. They want both. One timers and multi timers. We agree.
I said given a choice they would not. Practically, they will never have that choice.

It's a big resort to fill every day, some days of the year will always have to be discounted.

Speaking of discounts, they're probably going to be pretty deep once the bubble bursts.

Lunair

The upcoming year will be an exciting one at Walt Disney World Resort, with new Star Wars™ experiences at Disney's Hollywood Studios® and new nighttime entertainment debuting at Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park this spring. We sincerely hope you are enjoying your current experience, and will continue to join us for another year as a valued Walt Disney World Passholder.

Does anyone else find it odd that there is no mention of Frozen for next year? New SW offerings and ROL, but no mention of Frozen Ever After? I thought that was expected to open sometime next year (practically makes the fantastic new AP rates worth it, you know!). You would think Disney would put spotlights on that right now to entice new APs.

alissafalco

Does anyone else find it odd that there is no mention of Frozen for next year? New SW offerings and ROL, but no mention of Frozen Ever After? I thought that was expected to open sometime next year (practically makes the fantastic new AP rates worth it, you know!). You would think Disney would put spotlights on that right now to entice new APs.
Maybe because most AP holders don't want to hear about it.

Marlins1

Technical question - my annual pass says that it "expires on" a certain date. Does anyone know if it is good until the end of that day or does it expire before that day starts?
Thanks to anyone that has the answer!

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

For the first 9 months of FY2010, Disney's Parks & Resorts (P&R) operating income was $1.002B on expenses of $6.940B.

For the first 9 months of FY2015, P&R operating income was $2.293B on expenses of $9.508B.

Costs are up 37% on 16% higher domestic attendance. In 5 years, Disney's costs are marginally higher on a per guest basis.

Yet profit is up 129%.

These price increases are not being used to build attractions or compensate CMs. Make no mistake, these price increases are simply driving profit.

Quoting from Frank Norris', The Octopus: A Story of California (1901):

Dike stared in blank astonishment. For the moment, the audacity of the affair was what most appealed to him. He forgot its personal application.

"Good Lord," he murmured, "good Lord! What will you people do next? Look here. What's your basis of applying freight rates, anyhow?" he suddenly vociferated with furious sarcasm. "What's your rule? What are you guided by?"

But at the words, S. Behrman, who had kept silent during the heat of the discussion, leaned abruptly forward. For the only time in his knowledge, Dike saw his face inflamed with anger and with the enmity and contempt of all this farming element with whom he was contending.

"Yes, what's your rule? What's your basis?" demanded Dike, turning swiftly to him.

S. Behrman emphasised each word of his reply with a tap of one forefinger on the counter before him:

"All—the—traffic—will—bear."

nerdboyrockstar

Because it will make Sum Of All Thrills look like a people-eater.

ItlngrlBella

That is not the kind of guest they are looking for. They want the guests that have disposable cash to spend to be taking up the valuable space in the parks. TDC is a for profit business and the new business model that has been slowly being implemented is upcharge events and raise prices while attracting the wealthy or people willing to over spend their means.

Last time I bought my AP was in 2011 for $424. Now for $649 + tax which gives me free parking and Photobomb. No thanks. Not worth the $225 increase in 4 years. Also just looked and I paid $169.20 for MNSSHP tickets and if I went this year if would be $240. A $70.00 increase since 2011 for 3 tickets. :arghh::mad:

I love WDW and miss going, but I have be logical and think about all that money would be spent.

Walt Disney is rolling over in his grave... Or his frozen chamber... Or whatever. (Jk about the chamber!)

ItlngrlBella

I'll have what they're having then, because I don't know how anyone can be that delusional without taking something. A 10-20% increase over last year, and a 50% (!) increase over the price five years ago? Justifying it based on what? For goodness sakes, 2 of the 4 parks actually have fewer things to do today than they did in 2010. Water parks haven't seen anything new, and 1/3 of Downtown Dis - oops, sorry, Disney Springs - is still a pile of dirt.

The next round of ticket price increases is going to be a fun one. Anyone taking bets? I'm going with $125 for MK, $105 for EP/DHS/AK.
Wow, I remember the days (bit too long ago), as a college student - I had a student job on campus and worked for a seasonal fall attraction and my friends and I had more than enough money to pay for a week in a WDW value hotel, airfare, tickets and food. Now you have to be a 1%'er to take your family of 4.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom