Big changes coming to Annual Passes

MissM

I've read through the whole topic but I admit, I'm still confused. We renewed our (then) Florida Resident Annual Pass (365 days/no blockouts) back in August. We pay monthly through August 2016 for it. Under the new system, it looks like it's what would now be called a "Platinum Pass." So...do those of us with existing passes get the "added" feature of PhotoPass or not? I've tried logging into the website but can't find anything about my features/benefits.
Sorry to repost, but I still haven't seen a definitive answer as to whether or not current AP's get the added PhotoPass download access or not. Anyone know for sure? I was just there Saturday before all this started so I won't be back for awhile to test it out myself.

Mammymouse

However, I'm an AP who also is a Florida resident who lives a few hours away and visits every 2-3 months and always stays on site. When I renewed my AP a few days ago, the total price increase over the previous year was about $36 - went up from $36/month to $39/month. When I renew next year, if I keep the same level under the new tier system (platinum), the annual increase will be at least $100, based on the pricing just released. And my TiW will now cost an additional $50 when I renew in December. And I'm a DVC member. So why does Disney want to p*** me off? I AM spending money in the parks, trust me....

I understand a little price increase, but to have such a jump - referring to non-Florida resident prices for the annual, now platinum, pass - and justify it by throwing in Photopass is insane. I agree with a previous poster that Disney needs to revise the Silver, Gold and both Platinums to include options with and without Photopass.

I have always been considered a Disney lover. But the last couple years have been tough to keep that love alive. I have the same situation as you do. DVC since 1997, we live 90 minutes away (moved to be close to Disneyworld) and am a Fl. resident since 2006 and annual passholder. I have zero interest in any photo pass and I just got my TIW card a week ago for the old price of $100, not knowing it was going to increase. I can't justify this increase and it will break my heart to give up any of it, but this might be the year that when our annual pass comes up for renewal in December I decide to not renew.

My DVC dues go up every year, which I do expect some increase, but the DVC experience of 2015 is not the quality nor enjoyment of just a few years back of what we were used to for so many years. Any booking into our home resort of Boardwalk have been impossible to get compared to 5 or 6 years ago. I've had a very hard time transitioning to the Magic Band program but have realized it is the only way, so have accepted it and tried to focus on its positives. But this whole new price program I'm afraid might take the last bit of magic from me and our family.

raven

I'm choosing not to renew my AP this year for several reasons. Price is the biggest reason but their day to day offerings in the park keep getting smaller. So many walls up hiding things that take them years to build when other parks can have a new area up by next season.

Also, Walt Disney talked about "plussing" (aka adding more) and also said, during his Florida Project announcement, that here they will have plenty of room to add new things and hold all of their ideas. WDW always seems to take something away first before they "add" something else.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Just curious, how do you all think the tiered pricing is going to work? We usually get our tickets via the Armed Forces discount, but I'm curious - and about 99.9% sure that it's going to cost more to do less - no value added compared to what's going on now with prices.

The bolded is exactly what I find upsetting. There is no value added for the price hike. FLE is about the only thing worth mentioning but even before it was complete (which took about 7 years to build) we saw several price increases, not to mention the added capacity it allows which in turn must generate some revenue as they claimed to the BOD (was it Staggs who said that?)

So wheres the value added for the extra money now? The Frozen ride? More behind the scenes infrastructure? R&D for the new Pecos Bill Menu? Are we paying for Star Wars, Avatar and Andys yard years in advance, and will most likely see bigger increases when they open?

The fact that some people defend this decision and make excuses for it is nothing new. Same effect we saw with MM+ and its $?billion price tag. Where is the "enhanced experience" that MM+ promised? Where are the shorter lines that all the defenders of MM+ kept proclaiming we would see after the "test phase" was over? It must still be testing. I dont see people out in Anaheim, Europe or Asia clamoring for it either, but of course, according to some people, its an amazing system because they dont have to "sprint" across the parks for a FP. Funny that I never saw anyone sprinting in the parks when Legacy was still in use but I constantly hear stories of the Steve Prefontaine-like experiences of people to obtain FP's.

Bottom line, TWDC is ran by very greedy people who take their customers loyalty for granted and I cant blame them because they know they have a large enough army of defenders who will always find a way to justify the greed while they eat their "enhanced" Star Wars/Frozen cupcakes.

lostpro9het

Sorry to repost, but I still haven't seen a definitive answer as to whether or not current AP's get the added PhotoPass download access or not. Anyone know for sure? I was just there Saturday before all this started so I won't be back for awhile to test it out myself.
While probably not what you are looking for, according to the email I'm inclined to say NO we current holders will not see any additional benefits the new system has. I'm basing this on the email they sent regarding our APs:

PassholderEmail said:
Rest assured that your current Pass has not changed and your existing benefits will remain valid through your Pass's expiration date. When it is time for you to renew, you will have a new set of Pass options that offer great flexibility and value to enjoy our Walt Disney World Theme Parks, and even some new benefits!

Please remember, your current Pass has not changed and your existing benefits remain valid through your Pass's expiration date. And because you're an existing Passholder, when your Pass does expire, you will be able to purchase any of these new Pass options at a special Passholder renewal rate – of up to 15% savings†!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The bolded is exactly what I find upsetting. There is no value added for the price hike. FLE is about the only thing worth mentioning but even before it was complete (which took about 7 years to build) we saw several price increases, not to mention the added capacity it allows which in turn must generate some revenue as they claimed to the BOD (was it Staggs who said that?)

So wheres the value added for the extra money now? The Frozen ride? More behind the scenes infrastructure? R&D for the new Pecos Bill Menu? Are we paying for Star Wars, Avatar and Andys yard years in advance, and will most likely see bigger increases when they open?

The fact that some people defend this decision and make excuses for it is nothing new. Same effect we saw with MM+ and its $?billion price tag. Where is the "enhanced experience" that MM+ promised? Where are the shorter lines that all the defenders of MM+ kept proclaiming we would see after the "test phase" was over? It must still be testing. I dont see people out in Anaheim, Europe or Asia clamoring for it either, but of course, according to some people, its an amazing system because they dont have to "sprint" across the parks for a FP. Funny that I never saw anyone sprinting in the parks when Legacy was still in use but I constantly hear stories of the Steve Prefontaine-like experiences of people to obtain FP's.

Bottom line, TWDC is ran by very greedy people who take their customers loyalty for granted and I cant blame them because they know they have a large enough army of defenders who will always find a way to justify the greed while they eat their "enhanced" Star Wars/Frozen cupcakes.

That's what you get when you hire a weatherman to run the largest entertainment company in the world.....

betty rose

This is the main problem I have with the new AP pricing and categories. It works out great for those who use the Memory Maker, but for those who have no interest in it - essentially our prices are higher as Disney has it there for us if we want it. It would be nice to opt out and get $100 off.
As a DVC member, I'm quite annoyed at the price increases. We have gone to Disney the year after it opened, and almost every year since then, barring illness, etc. We bought DVC only about 6 years ago, and were basically promised all kinds of discounts. We have saved some on our room, but not nearly as much as stated. The benefits keep going away. I'm just so disappointed , that Disney has chosen to mess with the fans, who have been with them since the beginning. Nice way to treat your loyal followers, Disney. I forgot to mention, I have so many photo's I don't want the Photo Pass. What a rip off for our family.

Wngo905

In the Parks
No
No the current AP holders do NOT get the PP download. You can upgrade your ticket for around $90 but if you are upgrading for three or more passes and only going one trip, it is cheaper to buy MM.

Warning, if you upgrade one pass then you HAVE to scan that pass with the Photographer (it can't be someone elses pass). If you don't then you won't get to download the picture. I talked with a CM yesterday about this and someone else confirmed yesterday it is in the fine print.

betty rose

How so? Tickets and dining having nothing to do with DVC. DVC is for rooms. The increase in ticket price and tiw stink but it doesn't change the price I paid for my room until 2060. When your rate for your room goes up every year mine doesn't. Maybe I don't buy an AP next year but again that is outside of room rates
If your annual dues go up, as mine have you do pay more each year for your room.

yedliW

While probably not what you are looking for, according to the email I'm inclined to say NO we current holders will not see any additional benefits the new system has. I'm basing this on the email they sent regarding our APs:

I've read that the photo pass feature has been added to active APs now.. but can't confirm.

On a related note.. how would it work if we get AP, and travel with people that don't.. will the photo pass (is it different than the new memory maker?) be linked to the reservation so the entire group can take advantage, or will it be just for the AP?

(Sorry if this has been asked/answered, but I haven't read through the 27 pages)

docdebbi

Warning, if you upgrade one pass then you HAVE to scan that pass with the Photographer (it can't be someone elses pass). If you don't then you won't get to download the picture. I talked with a CM yesterday about this and someone else confirmed yesterday it is in the fine print.

I hadn't thought about this issue until now. We go with 6 people. All of our MB are linked so I always get all the photos on my memory maker.
When we go in April, 2 of us will have AP and the other 4 will not. does that mean that one of the 2 with AP need to be in the ride vehicle for us to get the photos downloaded?
meaning, we usually split up and take the kids to different (age appropriate for each) rides, but we get all the photos because we're linked. now one of the APs has to be present? if we ride behind each other in Test Track, we have to remember to divide up so one is in each car? that's crazy!

PhilharMagician

You mean those of us who have gone to Disney since it opened, and now are on a fixed income? Thanks, thanks a lot.

That is not the kind of guest they are looking for. They want the guests that have disposable cash to spend to be taking up the valuable space in the parks. TDC is a for profit business and the new business model that has been slowly being implemented is upcharge events and raise prices while attracting the wealthy or people willing to over spend their means.

Last time I bought my AP was in 2011 for $424. Now for $649 + tax which gives me free parking and Photobomb. No thanks. Not worth the $225 increase in 4 years. Also just looked and I paid $169.20 for MNSSHP tickets and if I went this year if would be $240. A $70.00 increase since 2011 for 3 tickets. :arghh::mad:

I love WDW and miss going, but I have be logical and think about all that money would be spent.

POLY LOVER

way more options and if you are not particular about when you go its a bargain if you go Silver. its about the price of a 4 day hopper pass.

MrPromey

Despite the objection, I think most will still renew their passes. Given the choice of accepting the price hike, or not stepping foot in the parks again, I think most are going to accept the price increase.
You can add me to the minority, then. I'd already let my pass expire earlier in the year as we decided to try out Universal and were planning to renew in time to see the final Osborne Lights. We'll be waiting now. Maybe till Avatar, maybe till Star Wars. Wait and see what those end up looking like. For now, I have Halloween party tickets to use and then no more Disney for the foreseeable future, here.

While Universal is becoming more and more of a value given the detail in some of their newer offerings and the much more friendly pass holder pricing, it's true, they're no Disney. I know that Disney is counting on this with a blue ocean strategy. Only problem is Walt Disney World seems to be getting a lot less Disney all the time, these days, too. It's making it a lot easier to compare the two rationally than it used to be. Wish Uni was more level with the age groups but just the same, my son is loving Dr. Seuss and we've started buying the books, at his request.

note2001

And what are my family and I supposed to do once we're sitting there in our room? Tickets and dining are 66% of the equation.
Perhaps tickets and dining are 66% of the equation for you and your family. I can certainly understand that a vacation to the Orlando area to you means hitting the Disney parks and eating in Disney restaurants. That's exactly the mindset Disney loves. But, not all of us feel this way, and every time Disney changes their pricing and benefits more and more of the visitors realize there is life outside of the Disney universe. Florida is a big, amazing place.

In fact they have already started to realize that the world is a big amazing place. Why not divert the funds into something a bit more interesting? Disney sees this happening and has pushed a bit harder to create world-wide Disney experiences using either cash or DVC points (not a good use of points IMHO, and I'm not convinced Disney is the best tour guide out there for the money.) Now that I've totally derailed my train of thought... sorry about that folks. :)

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

agree, wondering same thing, we just renewed a seasonal pass last week and now wondering if it was a mistake. granted its the monthly payment program thing so guess were good on that for a year, but I bet they drop discounts.

I renewed last month , I wondering the same thing. Maybe we get an email or a letter. I would think this is all going forward and will not affect current AP tickets.

POLY LOVER

Perhaps tickets and dining are 66% of the equation for you and your family. I can certainly understand that a vacation to the Orlando area to you means hitting the Disney parks and eating in Disney restaurants. That's exactly the mindset Disney loves. But, not all of us feel this way, and every time Disney changes their pricing and benefits more and more of the visitors realize there is life outside of the Disney universe. Florida is a big, amazing place.

There are tons of national chain resturants on 192 to curb the food costs, maybe thats whats folks will do going forward. if you knock 50% off your food bill it will take care of any increase.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom