Big changes coming to Annual Passes

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
A couple interesting observations.

1. This in no way is aimed to keep "Lifestylers" away. An extra $150 a year isn't enough to dissuade someone who visits 100 times in a year. I don't care which faux insider claims otherwise.

2. I find the, "I have one more trip, then one in 2017, and that's it!" to be comical. So your going once a year? Disney thanks you.

well last time I checked, 2015 is this year so taking another one in late 2017 isn't one every year lol. But maybe some saying this normally go more than that> So I don't find it comical. I get people's frustration.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It's not just about one cost center, it's about many. Compliance with federal mandates, insurance, construction, routine and differed maintenence, advertising, power generation, etc.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Well you would only need one memory maker per family so now they are getting charged twice.

True, but I was purchasing it for each trip. So if I went three times in a year, I purchased the Memory Maker three times. This time I would only be "purchasing" it twice.

I can see if it were a family of 4 or more, then this wouldn't be a savings at all.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just wondering, is there a single business school that has a class that teaches capitalist business enterprises to actively tell paying customers to go hump themselves?

They ALL teach that..... It's part of the "the goal is to increase shareholder wealth (and keep your job)" mantra. At least that's what was pounded into our heads in b-school....

LAKid53

Premium Member
I sent my "I'm disappointed" email into Disney just to see if I got a form letter response or not haha

You'll probably get a phone call one Saturday morning. That's what I got when I sent an email complaining about a screw up on my resort reservation.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
well last time I checked, 2015 is this year so taking another one in late 2017 isn't one every year lol. But maybe some saying this normally go more than that> So I don't find it comical. I get people's frustration.

I'm talking in generalities. So 2 trips in 24 months. 1 per year. That was the idea.

It's funny to say you quit Disney. But only after you line the coffers two more times!

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
I'm talking in generalities. So 2 trips in 24 months. 1 per year. That was the idea.

It's funny to say you quit Disney. But only after you line the coffers two more times!
well i think quit would be overstating it haha but I'm sure some will cut back. As for APs they aren't really worth it unless you are in the parks over 15 days (maybe 17 now) so who knows. Many might just use MYW

Seanual757

Well for myself a Florida Resident and AP holder my price will increase $9.94 per month per pass (we have 4 passes) that comes out to an additional $477 per year for our 4 passes.

I understand increases but dang Disney is getting out of hand on the increases. Will be pay it yes I am a DVC member so to not have AP's I might as well sell out DVC. So I will re-up our AP's and in 2 years I will have to add another AP for our 3rd daughter.

I will not re-new our membership for TIW that went up an additional $50 a year.

I really think Disney needs to offer a better discount for those of us who are AP holders, and DVC members. Yes I am a Florida resident so I get that Discount for the AP but I also spend $2500 a year on passes, $30,xxx on my DVC, plus another $3k-$4k a year at Disney annually for non DVC stays.

ItlngrlBella

How well do I think it will work? You mean in terms of differing attendance?

None because I think we've pretty much proven that there isn't a slow season whatsoever. This year, we have had a slow week and a half during the September low. That was it.

In fact, I think will be very counterproductive. You will have the ticketing trying to spread the crowd out but meanwhile you will have other parts of Walt Disney World putting forth promotions and specials in an attempt to fill hotel rooms.

But from a physical perspective? It'll work great… Revenue will continue to come in and people will put themselves on the back after themselves being made to look good…

Both - how it will work and how "well" it would effect crowds - agreed the slow season is no more (maybe a week or two in September after the kids are just back in school).

The whole thing is frustrating - but I guess they got to pay for building Star Wars land somehow. :rolleyes:

bhg469

Both - how it will work and how "well" it would effect crowds - agreed the slow season is no more (maybe a week or two in September after the kids are just back in school).

The whole thing is frustrating - but I guess they got to pay for building Star Wars land somehow. :rolleyes:
I doubt crowds will be spread out at all. They will just have people paying a lot more to be there on those popular dates. The only thing they will effect are those with silver and gold AP will not be there on those dates, so there will be more room for an on site guest who will out spend them. That's their end game.

Last edited:

Baltar

$4 billion for EPCOT
True, but I was purchasing it for each trip. So if I went three times in a year, I purchased the Memory Maker three times. This time I would only be "purchasing" it twice.

I can see if it were a family of 4 or more, then this wouldn't be a savings at all.
Yeah I'm a family of 6 haha!

FrostyNaples

FL Resident (renewal)

As someone who usually purchases memory maker, i like the idea of building that cost into the annual pass.

Considering we usually do the Seasonal Pass now, we can move from the compatible Silver Pass to the Gold upon renewal.

I don't mind the price increase, I understand the for profit business model. And there are still savings no matter how you look at it. Being a FL resident is the first perk in pricing.

*My first question regarding the photo pass downloads @ Gold level would be, since there are only two of us, do we BOTH need Gold level? Since we are linked and sharing in MDE, wouldn't it work similar to Memory Maker where i can grab all the photos being the Gold member?

note2001

As someone who usually purchases memory maker, i like the idea of building that cost into the annual pass.

This is the main problem I have with the new AP pricing and categories. It works out great for those who use the Memory Maker, but for those who have no interest in it - essentially our prices are higher as Disney has it there for us if we want it. It would be nice to opt out and get $100 off.

FrostyNaples

This is the main problem I have with the new AP pricing and categories. It works out great for those who use the Memory Maker, but for those who have no interest in it - essentially our prices are higher as Disney has it there for us if we want it. It would be nice to opt out and get $100 off.

Valid argument. Maybe send in your thoughts to Disney.

The bundle goes in every direction I think, because for me, while i would use the photo passes, i would not use the free parking.

LAKid53

Premium Member
But it's not necessarily one or the other (buying this new massively hiked AP vs. never going again). People can certainly choose to go less, because one of the sells of an AP is multiple trips, and many of us who lived far away but had one took more trips just because we had one.

Look at me - I'm not typical, I'm someone who comes to this site and has for a dozen years now. But I believe my last AP was like $550, when they went over that, I was done buying an AP. I used to go 3-6 times a year, now I go maybe once every two years. Disney is getting far less money from me than they used to, and some years, none at all.

$800 for the most basic non-resident offering is going to have a real impact - and I presume that's why it's being done. They are actively trying to discourage AP holders, no question. The bean counters have decided that AP holders are not worth it to keep as customers. What their little spreadsheets can't quantify are things like how folks like me who were loyal AP holders for years were walking talking billboards for them, and how much money we really spent on the real drivers of profit at WDW, of which admission really isn't the most major.

However, I'm an AP who also is a Florida resident who lives a few hours away and visits every 2-3 months and always stays on site. When I renewed my AP a few days ago, the total price increase over the previous year was about $36 - went up from $36/month to $39/month. When I renew next year, if I keep the same level under the new tier system (platinum), the annual increase will be at least $100, based on the pricing just released. And my TiW will now cost an additional $50 when I renew in December. And I'm a DVC member. So why does Disney want to p*** me off? I AM spending money in the parks, trust me....

I understand a little price increase, but to have such a jump - referring to non-Florida resident prices for the annual, now platinum, pass - and justify it by throwing in Photopass is insane. I agree with a previous poster that Disney needs to revise the Silver, Gold and both Platinums to include options with and without Photopass.

rucifee

Some sheeple will do or say anything to justify their personal insanity. I'm going back to my slumber, I only logged in after months of silence to add my voice to those who are unhappy. Looks like it will be deadened by people who have more money than they do brains, and those paid by Disney Corporation to post positive comments on the internet.

The $2,700 I spend per year for annual passes, and the $5,000 that I spend per year on merchandise and dining at WDW will stay in the bank next year. I'll consider that a win.

disneyflush

Well for myself a Florida Resident and AP holder my price will increase $9.94 per month per pass (we have 4 passes) that comes out to an additional $477 per year for our 4 passes.

I understand increases but dang Disney is getting out of hand on the increases. Will be pay it yes I am a DVC member so to not have AP's I might as well sell out DVC. So I will re-up our AP's and in 2 years I will have to add another AP for our 3rd daughter.

I will not re-new our membership for TIW that went up an additional $50 a year.

I really think Disney needs to offer a better discount for those of us who are AP holders, and DVC members. Yes I am a Florida resident so I get that Discount for the AP but I also spend $2500 a year on passes, $30,xxx on my DVC, plus another $3k-$4k a year at Disney annually for non DVC stays.

This is fascinating to me because I completely get where you are at and your point-of-view on the increases.

This $477 additional per year over the next x years of your agreement would be a cost increase of many thousands of dollars over the life of the DVC agreement? I had not thought about the increase this year being multiplied out over the life of a DVC agreement until I read your post. This is one thing that Disney definitely needs to consider when moving forward, especially with a family like yours that is spending roughly $7,000 per year already!

Just from an outsiders point-of-view, why would TIW increase of $50/year dissuade you from renewing it?

note2001

Just from an outsiders point-of-view, why would TIW increase of $50/year dissuade you from renewing it?

At the current pricing of $150 for the card, to offset the cost of it one would need to spend $750 or more at locations that accept it. This number simplifies the equation by ignoring that many places also offer DVC and AP discounts for those who have either/or. Personally, I will not renew as my family dynamics are changing with the kids now in college & with employers, so there is no guarantee I'll be hitting even the $500 mark in a 12 months span.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom