News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Touchdown

We'll criticize Curse of the Werewolf at EU for the exact same thing.

You can win. Making rides that last more then a minute is a start.
Those Mack spinner launched coasters are a blast, don’t knock it. I know it won’t be as forceful but Time Traveler at SDC is amazing, I welcome being able to ride more of that type of coaster.

DisneyDean97

they built a very nice junior coaster in HK to go along with FEA and people on here were ragging on it because its so well themed but so short lol. you cant win
lol true, I think that's because the concept art looked similar to Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and people assumed it was going to be its equivalent. Its basically their park's Barnstormer coaster, just really really well themed.

Bocabear

they built a very nice junior coaster in HK to go along with FEA and people on here were ragging on it because its so well themed but so short lol. you cant win
You certainly can... make a ride longer than 90 seconds... Any coaster is going to have huge long lines... Nothing is more frustrating than waiting an hour plus for a ride that is literally under a minute long... This is not an advanced concept to understand...

Tha Realest

It’s scenes. Disney can’t or won’t create scenes anymore, the kind that defined not only Es like HM or WoM but also smaller scale dark rides. River Journey is disappointing because it lacks scenes - it’s like looking at a stage with no performance. At least Frozen sort of tries to create scenes in the newly created first show room before devolving into Disney’s copyrighted “elaborate figures gesture at you in empty room” - the same thing that afflicts RJ’s Shaman.
How much do you think this phenomenon stems from the original / second generation Imagineers having been steeped in other disciplines like animation layout and story development vs more modern Imagineers (who, nothing against them, but don’t necessarily come up from that sort of background).

BrianLo

We'll criticize Curse of the Werewolf at EU for the exact same thing.

You can win. Making rides that last more then a minute is a start.

Mary poppins is being put on a pedestal as well, but would have been pilloried. Though the facade concept looked nice.

The concept there also needed to be a fantasyland busbar C ticket, not a carousel. It’s not hard for them to set an expectation of ‘this ride is like Snow White or Peter Pan’ from the get go.

Dcgc28

You certainly can... make a ride longer than 90 seconds... Any coaster is going to have huge long lines... Nothing is more frustrating than waiting an hour plus for a ride that is literally under a minute long... This is not an advanced concept to understand...
On average roller coaster are only 2 minutes long. This is not an exclusive to Disney problem, it’s most roller coasters ever built. How long should it be? 90 seconds isn’t egregiously short by that metric.

MagicHappens1971

On average roller coaster are only 2 minutes long. This is not an exclusive to Disney problem, it’s most roller coasters ever built. How long should it be? 90 seconds isn’t egregiously short by that metric.
Tron is egregiously short. SDMT is egregiously short. In my opinion, Barnstormer is not *egregiously* short because it is not sold as an "E-ticket". Story coasters like Hagrid's (in my opinion) should be the blueprint for all "story" coasters going forward. If Disney (or any other theme park) is pouring 100s of millions of dollars into a headliner it should be no shorter than 2-3 minutes (especially for a coaster).

Last edited:

PREMiERdrum

Tron is egregiously short. SDMT is egregiously short. In my opinion, Barnstormer is not *egregiously* short because it is not sold as an "E-ticket". Story coasters like Hagrid's (in my opinion) should be the blueprint for all "story" coasters going forward. If Disney (or any other theme park) is pouring 100 of millions of dollars into a headliner it should be no shorter than 2-3 minutes (especially for a coaster).
Guardians is a well-paced experience. Hagrid's is good, and Velocicoaster is my current #1. SDMT is iffy and Tron is offensively short. The gravity building has plenty of room for a longer layout. With the financial outlay of that project, the ride experience itself is a miss.

Casper Gutman

Mary poppins is being put on a pedestal as well, but would have been pilloried. Though the facade concept looked nice.

The concept there also needed to be a fantasyland busbar C ticket, not a carousel. It’s not hard for them to set an expectation of ‘this ride is like Snow White or Peter Pan’ from the get go.
Yeah, the problem with Poppins is that fans and imagineers have been discussing a Poppins dark ride for decades, so announcing a flat fell flat.

Bringing this back to BBTM, the Phase 1 Coco expansion needs some capacity eaters, perhaps a flat and a small show venue (actually, Coco would be ideal for a major show that integrates live actors, screens, and AAs, a sort of souped up version of the Genie show in Tokyo. But we're not getting that, so...)

Casper Gutman

Not sure where you're getting your "average" here. Even if we take that claim as true, Frozen is UNDER a minute, so its less then half as long as the "average" coaster. That's significant.

Casper Gutman

How much do you think this phenomenon stems from the original / second generation Imagineers having been steeped in other disciplines like animation layout and story development vs more modern Imagineers (who, nothing against them, but don’t necessarily come up from that sort of background).
I think that's a huge part of it. Dark rides are closely akin to film - you're just moving the audience instead of the camera. I'm sure there's a whole host of other reasons for the move away from scenes we could speculate about.

Sectorkeeper71

Not sure where you're getting your "average" here. Even if we take that claim as true, Frozen is UNDER a minute, so its less then half as long as the "average" coaster. That's significant.
I did some quick google searches which tell me for Disney rides, Everest is about 3.5 min, thunder mountain Florida about the same, space mountain and cosmic rewind just under 3, and seven dwarfs is about 2.5. Rock n roller coaster is roughly 1.5 min of actual coaster time and tron only a minute. Just for some perspective

ToTBellHop

Guardians is a well-paced experience. Hagrid's is good, and Velocicoaster is my current #1. SDMT is iffy and Tron is offensively short. The gravity building has plenty of room for a longer layout. With the financial outlay of that project, the ride experience itself is a miss.
My only guess on why TRON is so short is that the ride system would get uncomfortable if it were much longer. I’d say, in response, “pick a more comfortable ride vehicle” but it really needed to be a true bike coaster unlike Hagrid’s.

Had the time of my life on Velocicoaster in February in pouring rain. It was stupid heavy rain that felt like needles to the face and I was giggling like a 6 year old the whole time. It has an outstanding ride layout. I challenge them to do better with Starfall Racers. That will be a challenge but the planned near misses should increase the fun as long as guests don’t ruin it. Again.

Sectorkeeper71

I challenge them to to better with Starfall Racers. That will be a challenge but the planned near misses should increase the fun as long as guests don’t ruin it. Again.
With how they do it with the lockers and metal detectors now, I think we should be ok. But I’ll never count out the stupidity of people to not follow the rules and ruin a good thing for everyone

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom