News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

DisneyDodo

I'd expect them to build bathrooms and at least a snack stand on the way, but who knows.
Another option (that I don’t anticipate would ever happen) would be to use the expansion plot to create a little mini land with a smaller ride, QS restaurant, bathrooms, etc. It’s a big plot of land, so it could be used for multiple things, but all rumors I’ve ever heard for that area have been for a single E-ticket ride.

Phicinfan

They already have one moveable bridge over the canal. It’s not really that big of a deal to have the guest path to Beyond Thunder Mountain be moveable to allow for ongoing access between the RoA and 7SL. they’d only typically need that open overnight anyway (and rarely) not during park operating hours.

Epcot does just fine with a drawbridge in the pathway.
But will it make sense, and what does that do to space.
the options listed above by @TheCoasterNerd all basically close off the outer way for maintenance for the Lilly Bell. I don't see them keeping the Lilly Bell as is, if this is the case. So do you dock it permanently, or do you get rid of it and ROA to make easier paths and space

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Another option (that I don’t anticipate would ever happen) would be to use the expansion plot to create a little mini land with a smaller ride, QS restaurant, bathrooms, etc. It’s a big plot of land, so it could be used for multiple things, but all rumors I’ve ever heard for that area have been for a single E-ticket ride.

I mean, that's essentially what was proposed when Fire Mountain was proposed for that spot ~30 years ago... build a path back to a mini-land with a few shops/food places and whatnot just behind the PoC show building between the Jungle Cruise and the railroad tracks, then a longer queue for the main attraction that would go under the railroad tracks and back to the main show building in the southwest corner of the plot... I can't imagine any plans to build anything else back there would be significantly different (logistically)

Fire-Mountain.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

I honestly can't remember the last time Disney built a new theater venue at a domestic park
Hyperion at DCA I beleive unless you count the rebuilt Festival of Lion King Theatre.
If they use that expansion pad they should make a new MK entrance for monorail, boat, and pedestrian traffic - the current main entrance needs some relief from traffic and that would be a big help.

EricsBiscuit

You are only thinking of land availability. However, you have to account for the loss of access to maintenance for the Lilly Bell with the expansion north of BTMRR. If they lose that, then you might as well either dock the boat permanently and convert to restaurant(which I believe was one rumor that was floating around), and then potentially convert TSI to some other. So losing the ROA would give full access and more space for whatever they may be adding to do it.
They can build a drawbridge across the canal very easily and that is not unprecedented. Take the drawbridge between China and Africa pavilions at Epcot for example.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I am curious... if they are planning on using the pad suggested for BBTM as well as the Adventureland pad, what options does that leave on the table as the most likely options for future expansion of the MK? Is north of Fantasyland an option? What about just north of Tron? Or southeast of Tomorrowland?

Phicinfan

They can build a drawbridge across the canal very easily and that is not unprecedented. Take the drawbridge between China and Africa pavilions at Epcot for example.
I am not disputing that, but that will interupt the view and area, it will also keep BTMRR seperate by a waterway from rest of the "desert" area - which makes no sense yes?

I am not saying they should, or are removing ROA, just saying I see the logic in that it could very well be the case.

SailorMercury

I am curious... if they are planning on using the pad suggested for BBTM as well as the Adventureland pad, what options does that leave on the table as the most likely options for future expansion of the MK? Is north of Fantasyland an option? What about just north of Tron? Or southeast of Tomorrowland?
I could be wrong, but I think there's a pad past Storybook Circus

James Alucobond

I am not disputing that, but that will interupt the view and area, it will also keep BTMRR seperate by a waterway from rest of the "desert" area - which makes no sense yes?

I am not saying they should, or are removing ROA, just saying I see the logic in that it could very well be the case.
If the Frontierland extension is just one attraction, they could conceivably place it behind Thunder Mountain via a path north of the restrooms currently beyond Frontierland Station. It would then back up to or displace the Liberty Belle maintenance area. A drawbridge running parallel to the railroad bridge could connect directly into a possible phase 2/villain land.

DisneyDodo

They could expand east of TL on the other side of World Drive
1712862028050.jpeg

That land is “marginally suitable” for development.

DisneyDean97

I mean, that's essentially what was proposed when Fire Mountain was proposed for that spot ~30 years ago... build a path back to a mini-land with a few shops/food places and whatnot just behind the PoC show building between the Jungle Cruise and the railroad tracks, then a longer queue for the main attraction that would go under the railroad tracks and back to the main show building in the southwest corner of the plot... I can't imagine any plans to build anything else back there would be significantly different (logistically)

View attachment 778640
If only they were building Fire Mountain :/

2bornot2be

I really don’t see them filling in the river, The River Boat fits too much into a New Orleans theme. I can see the layout changing a little but the removal of the attraction or making it as short as people are saying just doesn’t seem like the direction they are headed.

DisneyDodo

That would be challenging because you have World Drive, the railroad and monorail spur tracks between the park and that land.
Oh absolutely, which is why they’re not expanding in that direction now. I’m talking more like 15 years down the road if they’ve run out of other options. It would be painful, but as time goes on and more low-hanging fruit gets picked, expansion will only become more and more expensive.

lazyboy97o

I don't fully disagree. However, how you "hide" or allow the out exit for Lilly Bell and build and tie in expansion north could be just as challenging or expensive. Who knows.

I will add, even if they fill in ROA(again not saying I am for this) you can maintain TSI as is, just have easier access to it. Or retheme it for some other type of walk around option, and free up more walkway to get to HM and such
Any sort of crossing could be more substantial since the Liberty Belle isn’t going to the dry dock with any sort of frequency. It could be something that requires a bit more work to move. Another option would be to just build a dry dock inside the park as exists on the other Rivers of America.

Thunder Mesa at Disneyland Paris works rather well. The Disneyland Railroad there and at the original Disneyland both also feature the Grand Canyon Diorama.

Disnutz311

Disney World Purist
With Tom Sawyer Island being labeled “Troubled IP” I would not be surprised if they shave off land from both sides to make room for a path to go to the right of BTMR and south of HM. Taking ten feet from either side makes paths viable. Keeps river shape or at least barely shortened. Island becomes scenery you can see from the riverboat but no more trips there. Re-route the railroad to the very north and build that first to connect existing track for minimal downtime. Huge plot of land to build.

Boom. Not rocket science. That belongs in Tomorrowland.

doctornick

My dear imagineers... where are you putting the train tracks?
❓

Wouldn’t they just remain where they are? Whatever gets built Beyond Thunder Mountain can be built outside the berm. Basically you’d just need one guest crossing from around HM to go under the tracks which isn’t a problem (just look at how DL did it) and it can work.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom