News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Bocabear

Id hate to lose ROA but it really messes up all the guest flow options on that side of the park
it seems like there are options without destroying the centerpiece waterway of the park, but none of those are inexpensive...funny that with the "blessing Of Size" they never really designed MK for expansion without having to really tear down existing structures and millions in infrastructure....

DisneyDodo

I would be shocked if they decided to fully fill in RoA. The most extreme scenario I could envision would be something like this:
1712843827448.png

Which would allow for the continued operation and maintenance of the LB, while opening up significantly more land for expansion.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I would be shocked if they decided to fully fill in RoA. The most extreme scenario I could envision would be something like this:
View attachment 778598

Which would allow for the continued operation and maintenance of the LB, while opening up significantly more land for expansion.
Anything they consider doing that involves reducing the water storage capacity of RoA will require some sort of an offset to the water storage capacity somewhere else within the water system which includes Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. That is a requirement of the South Florida Water Management District. RoA is linked via the canal on the West of MK down to Seven Seas Lagoon. It doesn't mean they could not do it, but it would require either Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake to be expanded to match the water storage capacity lost with such a reduction. SFWMD is where you would see the early permit if they are considering anything like that.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I hope villains land includes a large indoor theater venue. I honestly can't remember the last time Disney built a new theater venue at a domestic park and a nice, indoor, effects driven show with a cavalcade of various villains could be really neat if done well (and could be a nice balance to the two new indoor theater shows EU will have at opening). Further needed considering I don't believe Magic Kingdom has a single indoor theatrical experience (that is with live actors and not an AA show).

bmr1591

I could name at least a handful of good themes for a fifth gate (if one is ever considered) and an entire park devoted to villains is not one of them. Too excessive

A villains land wouldn't be all that bad if they approached it with care

Genuinely would love to hear your ideas.

castlecake2.0

it seems like there are options without destroying the centerpiece waterway of the park, but none of those are inexpensive...funny that with the "blessing Of Size" they never really designed MK for expansion without having to really tear down existing structures and millions in infrastructure....
I commented on this at Disneyland Paris and also Shanghai, it looks like they learned this lesson and gave things a bit more space to allow for growth. The biggest issue I see is Haunted Mansion area, if they’re going to try to link the Beyond all the way around it’s going to take some rearranging along the shore there to fit the queue, new path, and still hide the show building.

DisneyDodo

Anything they consider doing that involves reducing the water storage capacity of RoA will require some sort of an offset to the water storage capacity somewhere else within the water system which includes Seven Seas Lagoon and Bay Lake. That is a requirement of the South Florida Water Management District. RoA is linked via the canal on the West of MK down to Seven Seas Lagoon. It doesn't mean they could not do it, but it would require either Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake to be expanded to match the water storage capacity lost with such a reduction. SFWMD is where you would see the early permit if they are considering anything like that.
Right, which is part of why I think the total removal of the river is so unlikely. The proposal I shared above is what I view as the most extreme scenario. What I think is most likely would be them shortening the river to a lesser extent, just enough to open up the area northwest of HM to allow for better guest flow and a more complete and cohesive Villains (or whatever) land for BBTM Phase 2.

It would still be a pretty expensive change, but they wouldn’t have much trouble offsetting the lost water retention capacity.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
If they mess with them, this would be my ideal shortening situation - shorten it, add lands around it. Note that there would be more lands behind the rivers but I didn't have space to connect that in this design.
Untitled design (19).png

This would be a nice compromise - keeping the bottom half and boat but still shortening it. This would allow them to connect it with more lands but still have water and an island.
Untitled design (20).png

This would be the worst-case scenario - filling them in entirely. I had to scramble for ideas for this one so pardon the shoddiness. This would allow them to have many new attractions but would lose one of the best parts of the park.
Untitled design (21).png

*all concepts presented are my own. I have no relation to The Walt Disney Company or anyone within it.
*made in Canva using screenshots of Walt Disney World and Disneyland maps
*representative of the alterations of the river, not the content of the land that replaces it.

Either way, the amount of money it'd take to remove the rivers is what will probably save them. I can see them shortened, but not removed. They know the love for the rivers and they know the outrage they'd get for removing them, so between that and budget I don't think they're going to fill them in.

doctornick

You are only thinking of land availability. However, you have to account for the loss of access to maintenance for the Lilly Bell with the expansion north of BTMRR. If they lose that, then you might as well either dock the boat permanently and convert to restaurant(which I believe was one rumor that was floating around), and then potentially convert TSI to some other. So losing the ROA would give full access and more space for whatever they may be adding to do it.
They already have one moveable bridge over the canal. It’s not really that big of a deal to have the guest path to Beyond Thunder Mountain be moveable to allow for ongoing access between the RoA and 7SL. they’d only typically need that open overnight anyway (and rarely) not during park operating hours.

Epcot does just fine with a drawbridge in the pathway.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom