News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Purduevian

Also if the character has been advertised within the parks (WDW) i.e the banners in Animation Courtyard, Ms. Marvel and Moonknight are two that pop into mind right away, as well as The Eternals. From what we understand, Wakanda as entity could be used minus the titular character, Black Panther.
Ms Marvel is super interesting to me as they cant use the word Marvel haha.

SpectreJordan

Personally, I also think that's a valid concern.

It seems to me like this might be a calculated move to double down on their heaviest hitter in the face of Epic Universe. New things at MK are probably more likely to incite WDW vacations than new things at any of the other parks. Despite the fact that the other parks are absolutely much more in need of expansion and new attractions than MK is.

Not to mention the collateral damage that might be done to MK to enable the expansion.
It's a 50/50 situation. On one hand, the other 3 parks all desperately need some love. But on the other, it seems like MK has the space for a potentially meaty expansion which is the only one besides DAK with that much space (afaik). Who's going to say no to a potentially big expansion?

Visually, Radiator Springs transitions well from behind Big Thunder, but other than that the IP is a bad fit for MK. Radiator Springs represents a bygone town of the 1950s-1960s experiencing a touristy kitsch revival in the early 2000s. While the history of Route 66's western expansion is an interesting one, it stands a century apart from the westward expansion of the American frontier. Also, sentient automobiles are a significantly greater narrative leap from what Frontierland has seen before than sentient frogs and other bayou animals.

Although I would prefer Orlando and Anaheim have as many unique experiences as possible to differentiate the resorts, I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be first in line for a retooled Radiator Springs at DHS. Perhaps if situated on the land/offices behind animation courtyard we could opt for an altered RnRC and Racing Academy as our secondary attractions with a cloned RSR anchoring. Alas, they don't let me make decisions still.
I think a Route 66 land with RSR as an individual ride would fit the Americana theme of MK very well. But the entire land being Radiator Springs wouldn't really fit, but on the other hand I think casual guests would be disappointed if it wasn't all RS after DCA got it.
agree but why was d'amaro mentioning it so much then awhile back....one cant help but wonder. If anything was ill fitting for MK it would certainly be that. And they seem to be doing everything the opposite of what they should be doing so I wouldn't put it past them in some form.
He might be talking about it for DLR or DLP.
Single IP lands should only work with very specific franchises imo. Things like Star Wars and Harry Potter are a no brainer because they’re cultural phenomenons. Even Toy Story and frozen have tons of staying power.

I’ve always argued with pandora that it shows that non IP lands could work to this day, because I don’t think avatar has that same cultural impact as the above. It’s popular because it’s well done, not because people have this love for the property like Star Wars or potter
Does it really matter if the execution is great though? To an average guest, it's about the same as a land dedicated to the old west or Africa.

I do think it has to be in the right parks though. DHS, IOA & Epic Universe? Makes sense to me. MK & EPCOT? Nah.
I think the problem with single IP lands is that there aren't that many IPs that are really conducive to one, especially from a business perspective. It needs to be popular enough for the IP itself to be a draw, but it also needs to have an interesting/unique setting that makes a whole land work. Plus, there needs to be enough in the IP to support multiple attractions, shops, and restaurants.

Harry Potter works there, and Star Wars kind of works (it's a bit weaker on the setting part, especially as built, but the props help a lot). Pandora is a bit iffy on the popularity part -- obviously the movies have been incredibly successful, but it doesn't seem to have that much cultural penetration beyond the movies themselves -- but the setting works on its own even without any interest or knowledge of the IP.

Avengers Campus fails on the setting part, and I don't know that an interesting way to build that land even exists. Seems like it would always feel kind of generic.
I think a truly special Marvel land would have to be set in NYC & have hella live actors walking around. You'd have random bank robberies or other crimes & then the heroes swoop in to save the day. You'd have several famous Marvel landmarks like the Daily Bugle, Avengers Tower, the Baxter Building (Fantastic Four) & the Sanctum Santorum (Dr Strange) as well.

SpectreJordan

Here's what I think Disney should do with Hollywood Studios: make the front half of the part (Hollywood Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, etc.) about "the Hollywood of yesteryear" and the making of movies, then have the back half with all the IP lands be about taking you INTO the movies.
The Chinese Theater is a perfect way to transition the Hollywood section going into the movies. It was better when it was the GMR but I guess it still works since you go into the short in Mickey.

The front half of the park is old Hollywood, then there's the theater & it branches out into several different movie franchises...if they do something with Animation Courtyard & the Indy/Star Tours area that is.

LittleBuford

Not really. Why is an episode of a TV cartoon (one that ended production three years after the ride opened, no less!) playing in the Chinese Theater?
Back in the day, shorts were shown at cinemas. Yes, the Rudish shorts are modern, but they seek to revive in spirit the long-dormant tradition of classic Mickey cartoons. I think they're extremely charming and fun, and I love the ride.

Andrew25

No offense, I don't think he actually knows.

I think I'm the only one who thinks MK would benefit far more from refurbs/enhancements versus complete "expansion" compared to the other parks.

Every park should expand over time, but MK has the capacity... it's just either underutilized or poorly used. DAK/DHS desperately need major expansions and additions.

DAK really should be the park that gets a massive amount of investment, can't imagine they're happy closing the park at 6PM nowadays.

pdude81

For God’s sake, put Moana in Adventureland and keep Zootopia outta there. I’m puzzled as to why they would abandon Coco. It seems a logical geographic extension from Big Thunder. Just drop the Encanto element that was originally proposed.
Where in Adventureland though? Moana is a 10/10 fit there, but replacing an existing attraction wouldn't move the needle too much on capacity and might gum up the traffic flow even more. A new area is a clean slate and we don't know what the transitions look like after BTMR.

aladdin2007

No offense, I don't think he actually knows.

I think I'm the only one who thinks MK would benefit far more from refurbs/enhancements versus complete "expansion" compared to the other parks.

Every park should expand over time, but MK has the capacity... it's just either underutilized or poorly used. DAK/DHS desperately need major expansions and additions.

DAK really should be the park that gets a massive amount of investment, can't imagine they're happy closing the park at 6PM nowadays.
I agree

EPCOT-O.G.

Jim Shull's predictions for Beyond Big Thunder: Zootopia, Moana and Villains. Not sure if any truth to it or he's just speculating but he's hinted at Zootopia before

An AI utilizing quantum processing technology that’s contextualized all of the works of John Hench wouldn’t be able to square those disparate properties into one coherent, thematic land.

Gusey

Where in Adventureland though? Moana is a 10/10 fit there, but replacing an existing attraction wouldn't move the needle too much on capacity and might gum up the traffic flow even more. A new area is a clean slate and we don't know what the transitions look like after BTMR.
There is an expansion plot between Pirates and Jungle Cruise, where Fire Mountain was supposed to go.
I think a Moana attraction is likely given its streaming numbers, just not sure if beyond Big Thunder is the correct location

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Jim Shull's predictions for Beyond Big Thunder: Zootopia, Moana and Villains. Not sure if any truth to it or he's just speculating but he's hinted at Zootopia before

I just don't see a ride where the premise is "join the cops on a police chase after going through a queue that's a prison" playing well to a modern American audience. Even ignoring how out of place that would be in the Magic Kingdom it just isn't gonna work

Moana feels more like Adventureland but there might not really be room there. Plus, the only actual "Polynesian" part of Adventureland at wdw is the Tiki Room. Perhaps the Tiki Room could get moved (along with a slight update) to the new Moana/Polynesian area which would help that land (or mini-land whatever) feel less like just a single IP. Take out the theater and Magic Carpets. Fix that horrible bottle neck. And add a new A-Ticket or meet and greet in that space that will take up less room

Villains works. I like that the best since it isn't a single IP, just based around a vibe or a concept which feels very fitting for Magic Kingdom since most of the other lands are more vibe/concept based rather than immersive areas or IP based. A Haunted Forest or spooky carnival or ruined castle or whatever full of Villains that uses Haunted Mansion as a transition point to Liberty Squarr sounds like a slam dunk as long as they don't get too intense that it scares little ones away

I don't put much stock in what he says as being reliable, but aside from Zootopia I could see this working well.

James Alucobond

As stated, an Adventureland expansion plot is available, and while the Beyond Big Thunder area is a clean slate, that doesn't mean it should be a dumping ground for three unrelated things. Big Thunder > Coco > Villains > Liberty Square has a certain amount of sensible flow. You go from the American Southwest to Mexico, from which you could use Ernesto's mausoleum and/or the Land of the Dead to transition into a villains area. From there, it's reasonable to exit toward the Haunted Mansion in Liberty Square.

pdude81

There is an expansion plot between Pirates and Jungle Cruise, where Fire Mountain was supposed to go.
I think a Moana attraction is likely given its streaming numbers, just not sure if beyond Big Thunder is the correct location
That satisfies the capacity argument, but I can't imagine a world where they build between POTC and JC that doesn't require a good chunk of downtime for JC for rerouting. And even then the sightlines look a bit hairy unless they build a monstrosity there (like Fire Mountain). If they could have thought more clearly years back they should have turned Splash Mountain into a Moana Volcano flume.

aladdin2007

They are already doing the zooptopia show for tree of life at AK, I don't understand why it has to be dumped in at the MK too, it just does not belong. Again, if true....but then we already have moana at epcot, they are just on this plop as much as they can of one thing everywhere. Its short sighted. again, if true lol...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom