News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

MadderAdder

Yes. Immensely. Was the number 1 film of all time in Mexico for a few year.

The only reason that the Frozens, Encanto, and Moana are bigger is the music.

But for being a non-musical (with a few diegetic songs), it is hugely popular. It's presence in the parks keeps growing... the same kind of trajectory of Tiana.
Would love to visit/see Ernesto De La Cruz like the one Disneyland had at Boo Bash!

doctornick

Yes. Immensely. Was the number 1 film of all time in Mexico for a few year.

The only reason that the Frozens, Encanto, and Moana are bigger is the music.

But for being a non-musical (with a few diegetic songs), it is hugely popular. It's presence in the parks keeps growing... the same kind of trajectory of Tiana.

I'm not really sure how you could call Coco "not a musical". Okay, the music is diegetic but it's definitely there, multiple songs and quite catchy.

_caleb

But I was told (dozens of times in this thread) that the blue sky session at D23 last year was just an ad-libbed time filler.
And that "Disney has nothing in the works for the foreseeable future."
Oh, and that "Josh is a liar and Disney's too broke to build."

No Name

But I was told (dozens of times in this thread) that the blue sky session at D23 last year was just an ad-libbed time filler.
I mean they haven’t announced anything except the Splash Mountain change in 6 years and this is all still probably not happening.

Ghost93

My guess is that it was a blue sky idea that they were all interested in, and last year's D23 was a test to gauge the response from fans. Due toot he positive response, they may be more likely to move forward with it.

JD80

A big clue to, in my opinion anyway, is how much "legacy" work will be completed ahead of schedule. I'm talking about the speed in which they complete TBA. They need that finished up or at least well on their way before they start talking expansion beyond blue sky or ideas.

MagicHappens1971

No reliable insider has said any of those things to you.

Touchdown

Fantasmic aside, villains living together and working with one another also seems to be counter to the ethos.
Fantasmic the ride, essentially, wickedness has invaded the Magic Kingdom and Malnificent is hell bent on taking the castle for her own. Only one mouse stands between them and their success, Join Mickey, on a quest to save the Magic Kingdom. Her minions have taken over beloved rides in the MK and only and Mickey can free them.

Join him on a dark ride where you go about cleansing the park, major scenes would involve Hook/Pirates (think curse of black pearl pirates,) Facillier TBA, Oogie Haunted Mansion, Hades isaw, Ursula JC, Evil Queen Bibbity Bopity Botique, Malnificent Cinderella Castle.

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Changing the Rivers of America to Rivers of the Americas and segueing from the Southwestern United States to an animated/fantasy version of Mexico and then to one of Colombia and then to Fantasyland...that's actually a pretty good transition, thematically.
I hate the idea of lands based on IPs let a lone a single film but thematically speaking, correct, although I'm not sure it would connect back up with Fantasyland. Probably re-connects at Haunted Mansion along a modified river bank.

Disney Rocks

I hate the idea of lands based on IPs let a lone a single film but thematically speaking, correct, although I'm not sure it would connect back up with Fantasyland. Probably re-connects at Haunted Mansion along a modified river bank.
If Disney didn't have "Frontierland" as a literal copyrighted brand, I'd say just change the name of that quadrant of the park to "Riverfront of the Americas." Even if the Beyond Big Thunder expansion never happens, it would help make Tiana seem less out-of-place in an area otherwise themed to the Old West.

Given Disney's recent projects, I guess I'm just excited that this idea has any potential thematic cohesion at all.

lazyboy97o

If Disney didn't have "Frontierland" as a literal copyrighted brand, I'd say just change the name of that quadrant of the park to "Riverfront of the Americas." Even if the Beyond Big Thunder expansion never happens, it would help make Tiana seem less out-of-place in an area otherwise themed to the Old West.

Given Disney's recent projects, I guess I'm just excited that this idea has any potential thematic cohesion at all.
It’s trademarked, not copyrighted. Getting new trademarks registered is relatively easy.

celluloid

I have bad news to break to you. It's regarding Epic Universe...
None of the lands at Epic Universe are lands based on a single film haha. Potter and HTTYD have had films, tv series and books to source material.
Mario? Not just a film. Tons of games of various types.
Monsters, that is the OG cinematic Universe of many films, characters and time periods.

Single IPs, sure. But Ecanto and Coco on the same level? Zootopia? Yeesh.

It is also going to be a park designed to do this. MK never had this until just recently every project. So far Universal has done it more successfully.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
None of the lands at Epic Universe are lands based on a single film haha. Potter and HTTYD have had films, tv series and books to source material.
Mario? Not just a film. Tons of games of various types.
Monsters, that is the OG cinematic Universe of many films, characters and time periods.

Single IPs, sure. But Ecanto and Coco on the same level? Zootopia? Yeesh.
The context was indeed single single IPs. But good for you scoring points for a needless distinction.

celluloid

The context was indeed single single IPs. But good for you scoring points for a needless distinction.
Maybe make that clear as the poster also had "let alone, single films."

It's a relevant distinction for the biz. It's about who does it better, parks design and the fact Iger can't base a land on anything older than ten years. You tried to put Uni down, randomly, and it did not land.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom