News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Purduevian

I don't think Disney looks at the way you do. Why spend that money on real estate and a park with significant operating costs, land taxes, etc. when they can use it on Disney+ content?

I agree with you in a vacuum that it might be good, and probably would be good for park fans, but for Disney management it's a terrible short-term proposition due to the capital expenditures involved even if it's a potentially good long term one. That alone makes it unlikely to ever happen.
Because Disney needs to walk a fine line of park attendance vs guest satisfaction for all parks. Pack too many people in and guest experience goes down. Unhappy people spend less money and are less likely to return.

However every time MK "sells out" of reservations right now, there is no guarantee those people that want to go to MK go to one of the other Disney parks, thus less revenue in ticket sales.

Expanding the parks would allow them to pack more people in, while retaining the same guest satisfaction number.

UNCgolf

Because Disney needs to walk a fine line of park attendance vs guest satisfaction for all parks. Pack too many people in and guest experience goes down. Unhappy people spend less money and are less likely to return.

However every time MK "sells out" of reservations right now, there is no guarantee those people that want to go to MK go to one of the other Disney parks, thus less revenue in ticket sales.

Expanding the parks would allow them to pack more people in, while retaining the same guest satisfaction number.

Expanding the current parks is a different discussion than building an entirely new resort.

It would likely cost Disney tens of billions to build a new resort somewhere else in the US. The numbers probably don't make sense, which would explain why they aren't doing it.

Purduevian

Expanding the current parks is a different discussion than building an entirely new resort.

It would likely cost Disney tens of billions to build a new resort somewhere else in the US. The numbers probably don't make sense, which would explain why they aren't doing it.
Ahh didn't quite understand the disagreement. I don't see Disney making a 5th gate or another North American resort anytime soon. They need to expand the current parks.

yensidtlaw1969

Flying on alebrije doesn't necessarily mean Flight of Passage ride system. Big assumption to make!
If they're going to do this, I would love to see something where you actually get to encounter the creature.

I understand why we don't properly see the Banshee we're riding in Flight of Passage, but I would want to see the Alebrije in at least some capacity. Some sort of Alebrije-shaped ride vehicle would be appealing.

culturenthrills

A 5th park is not gong to happen. So just stop. At least they are finally realizing they have to do something about Magic Kingdom. They are not going to stop people from choosing MK to visit over the other parks no matter what they build in the other parks. Tron will help but it's not enough. Even if they had built the Main Street Theater it wouldn't have been enough. One glaring problem they don't want to seem to deal with is its the busiest Castle Park in the world but has the least amount of entertainment compared to all the other ones. People need stuff to do besides waiting in line and MK doesn't have enough to do. I would love to see all three get built but even one of them would help that park.

fgmnt

Ahh didn't quite understand the disagreement. I don't see Disney making a 5th gate or another North American resort anytime soon. They need to expand the current parks.
Not being completely serious, but if they were ever going to open another gate in North America before 2050, it would make more sense to build Magic Kingdom 2 in Orlando than any other alternative concept or location.

seabreezept813

I actually think that's a problem. MK needs more thrill rides (I really want the old Geyser Mountain Beyond Big Thunder), and DHS needs more family attractions (updated toon town connecting MMRR to RNRC)
That’s fair. We’re in the little kid phase and spend the least amount of time at Hollywood Studios. I also think of villains at that park because of Fantasmic.

DisneyDodo

As I've said before, do we even WANT to see what a fifth park would be like under Chapek's regime? It'd likely just be a hodge-podge of IPs with no connection.
The bigger problem (at least IMO) would be that it would open with like 3 rides (including a spinner), 2 shows, and a bunch of shopping and dining, with plenty of ambitious “phase 2” plans to fill out the park that never come to fruition. And on top of that, it would mean neglecting the other 4 parks even more than they already do.

VJ

But seeing all three grouped together and just plopped down in a corner of MK looks so random. It's a smorgasbord of Disney+ titles that's totally lacking in the cohesive design language that makes MK work in the first place.
May I present to you... Disney Enchantment.

Hang onto your hats and glasses, cause these next few years will be the wildest ride in the wilderness - and not a good one.

Movielover

No. Alien Encounter would have been best placed in the Echo Lake/ABC Sound Studio area of DHS.

In fact, they *tried* to have their own binaural audio experience in the pitch dark with water splash effects…

It wasn’t good.

DrewCareySD.jpg
Careful, them fightin words! ;)

doctornick

Just wanted to give my 2 cents. I’m impressed that they are actually expanding the MK, but I would have loved to have seen WRE or Fire Mountain or Bold Mountain (any new "mountain").
It seems possible that if a villains land ends up happening, you might get your wish as a centerpiece of that land.

Brer Panther

The bigger problem (at least IMO) would be that it would open with like 3 rides (including a spinner), 2 shows, and a bunch of shopping and dining, with plenty of ambitious “phase 2” plans to fill out the park that never come to fruition. And on top of that, it would mean neglecting the other 4 parks even more than they already do.
I didn't even think of that. You're right, it WOULD.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Are these really going to be “lands” or just a singular Coco ride and a single encanto ride?

I feel like this would be more like the expansion Hong Kong had a few years ago... several new lands, but most of the new lands only having a single centerpiece attraction. A villains themed land could have multiple rides, but Coco and Encanto would for sure be one ride mini-lands (with copious space built in for shopping and meet and greets).

doctornick

Are these really going to be “lands” or just a singular Coco ride and a single encanto ride?

Either way not sure this current leadership group should be trusted with developing that much land.
I feel like this would be more like the expansion Hong Kong had a few years ago... several new lands, but most of the new lands only having a single centerpiece attraction. A villains themed land could have multiple rides, but Coco and Encanto would for sure be one ride mini-lands (with copious space built in for shopping and meet and greets).

I think this is correct. It seems like Coco and Encanto would be mini-lands based on those specific IPs but not part of any other land in the park. That's why I don't understand the complaints about them being poor fits for (say) Frontierland - because I wouldn't expect them to actual be part of Frontierland. Good transitions from Frontierland to Coco's Mexico and then onto Encanto's Colombia is entirely plausible.

Now, it's possible they might lump Coco and Encanto together in some combined land. I'm not sure what they would use as the premise for such lands though maybe it would work.

Villains Land certainly seems like it's own thing, likely with a couple of attractions.

I will saw that bringing in some quality Latin American food to MK would be a nice potential boon to the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom