News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

DisneyRoy

Should have been specific, I meant screen-only attractions. I would love to see the Na'vi River concept expanded at MK as it can provide incremental effects to a primarily physical experience.

While FoP ride system can fit a Coco experience... it'll just feel too similar. There's not many other motion simulator concepts that are unique enough to prioritize IMO.
Would you consider Shanghai Pirates screen only? Because that ride system would work great with Coco I would think.

fgmnt

Yes, but. I lament the loss of those great omnimovers of old. Plus if anything it’s at least not another trackless experience.
The company has the theoretical capacity to build a great one but they simply have not done this in the US this century.

Trackless is another good example. I think a problem they could overcome were they to build a 4th one on property, would be make it a significantly different experience from the other 3. I do not think people would object to an installation of a ride like Aquatopia or Luigi's Rollicking Roadsters in MK or DAK.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Land north of RoA? You aren't terribly familiar with the RCID land suitability map, are you?
Barring cavernous sinkholes, any unsuitable land can be made suitable with enough dirt, water management, and required conservation offsets.

It's just that a 'suitable plot' doesn't require all that expensive remediation.

The swampy forest between DHS and CBR was once 'unsuitable,' but Disney bought up conservation offsets so they can build on it, if and when they want.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Barring cavernous sinkholes, any unsuitable land can be made suitable with enough dirt, water management, and required conservation offsets.

It's just that a 'suitable plot' doesn't require all that expensive remediation.

The swampy forest between DHS and CBR was once 'unsuitable,' but Disney bought up conservation offsets so they can build on it, if and when they want.
You nailed the two key words - Expensive remediation. Despite the influx of planned spending, throwing a chunk of that money on expensive land reclamation seems unwise when there are better uses for that money. But what do I know.

SilentWindODoom

Should have been specific, I meant screen-only attractions. I would love to see the Na'vi River concept expanded at MK as it can provide incremental effects to a primarily physical experience.

Mm... Now I'm picturing the Peter Pan ride in Tokyo with physical sets and surroundings on the level with Na'vi River Journey. That would be wonderful across from Peter Pan's Flight. Shame there's so little room between the Mansion and Small World show buildings.

ToTBellHop

I saw in Bob’s interview he mentioned “almost everything” going forward will be based on current IP. I feel like this makes a Villain land less likely…villains aren’t really an IP they focus on and they seldom make new, iconic villains any more. Gothel isn’t even featured in the new Rapunzel ride! She just leaves her tower and starts a new life with a mysterious man. It’s a Lifetime movie.

And we know about Facilier in TBA.

James Alucobond

I saw in Bob’s interview he mentioned “almost everything” going forward will be based on current IP. I feel like this makes a Villain land less likely…villains aren’t really an IP they focus on and they seldom make new, iconic villains any more. Gothel isn’t even featured in the new Rapunzel ride! She just leaves her tower and starts a new life with a mysterious man. It’s a Lifetime movie.

Despite what he said, I think they're okay with more generic lands as long as they support IP use. Otherwise, Tropical Americas wouldn't be happening.

PREMiERdrum

Despite what he said, I think they're okay with more generic lands as long as they support IP use. Otherwise, Tropical Americas wouldn't be happening.
Tropical Americas is a bit of an outlier since Dinosaur needed to be addressed and Indy was an obvious fit. Much of the land's aesthetic is anchored by Encanto with support from Coco... both "current" IP.

Crickets on Dark Kingdom for a good bit now, at either location.

SilentWindODoom

I'd heard Lantern Festival being meant as a romantic ride. I don't know if that's just something the person narrating the video inferred from the ride and not necessarily something intended. If it was intended, then, Gothel doesn't fit the atmosphere they're going for. And, of course, the reasons for Facilier have been recounted plenty in the other thread.

Meanwhile Hook and Hans show up no problem.

Purduevian

I wonder if they will include Dolores in the new Encanto ride...

Advisable Joseph

I don't think Iger said the IP had to be new, per se:

He mentioned the IP in the parks was very old for a long time, but I don't see anything downplaying classic but relevant IP.

Brer Panther

If used properly, screens are just another tool in the Imagineering toolbox. I see no reason to tell an Imagineer that they can't use this specific tool in MK.
Yes, if used PROPERLY. Today's WDI doesn't use them properly, and that's how we get rides like Remy's Ratatouille Adventure.
Gothel isn’t even featured in the new Rapunzel ride!

And Gaston isn't in the Beauty and the Beast ride. There's a very strange trend going on of not having villains in dark rides. Then again, Captain Hook appears in the new Peter Pan ride in Tokyo, so...

SilentWindODoom

And Gaston isn't in the Beauty and the Beast ride. There's a very strange trend going on of not having villains in dark rides. Then again, Captain Hook appears in the new Peter Pan ride in Tokyo, so...

1715898044020.png

Although, similar to the Rapunzel ride, it seems to be trying to tell a specific story focused on the romance of two characters within a castle, which a tour through the tavern or village for either of his songs would fit less with. Is this a common Japanese thing?

ToTBellHop

I don't think Iger said the IP had to be new, per se:

He mentioned the IP in the parks was very old for a long time, but I don't see anything downplaying classic but relevant IP.
All of the relevant classics get remakes so they will still have a modern release. I hope Black Cauldron isn’t on your bingo card cuz it’s a “nope”.

UNCgolf

All of the relevant classics get remakes so they will still have a modern release. I hope Black Cauldron isn’t on your bingo card cuz it’s a “nope”.

They actually were supposed to be developing a live action version, although not the Disney Black Cauldron specifically (which was kind of a mishmash of two books). It was supposed to be a new adaptation of the full Chronicles of Prydain.

I assume that's dead, though, considering there hasn't been any mention of it in years.

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
They actually were supposed to be developing a live action version, although not the Disney Black Cauldron specifically (which was kind of a mishmash of two books). It was supposed to be a new adaptation of the full Chronicles of Prydain.

I assume that's dead, though, considering there hasn't been any mention of it in years.

A show on Disney+ would be epic.

ToTBellHop

Well that could’ve been cool. Pity. At least we are getting the Snow White remake we’ve been asking for!!!!!!11

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom