News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

yensidtlaw1969

does anyone have any insight to the COCO attraction? has it moved back to the mexico pavillion? or is it still very much in the cards for beyond big thunder? it just feels SO much more appropriate for MK than Radiator Springs. I see the vision, but I am not sold on a mix/match pixar land.
I personally have yet to see any reason to believe Radiator Spring Racers is a serious consideration for MK. The Mexico Pavilion seems to be off the table for a number of reasons - Coco at MK seems the most likely based on what I'm hearing, some sort of simulator.

PREMiERdrum

No major changes to what I've shared earlier, though things do appear to be morphing a bit as they come into focus.

I still expect Moana (AL) and Coco (BBTM) to be the first shovels moving at MK. Still not optimistic on a Phase II. Less convinced of major expansion at DHS.

After a few months feeling like Scrooge McDuck jumping into a vault of coins, reality appears to be setting in.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
No major changes to what I've shared earlier, though things do appear to be morphing a bit as they come into focus.

I still expect Moana (AL) and Coco (BBTM) to be the first shovels moving at MK. Still not optimistic on a Phase II. Less convinced of major expansion at DHS.

After a few months feeling like Scrooge McDuck jumping into a vault of coins, reality appears to be setting in.
Yeah, feels like the villains are never getting past the blue sky phase.

Coco at MK seems the most likely based on what I'm hearing, some sort of simulator.

I understand the cutting back...it's what they do.

But still, another simulator? Sigh. Maybe I'm just feeling spoiled from all the proposed dimensional sets we're getting in AK, but I can't get excited about another immersive queue leading to a giant TV screen.

Disney Dad 3000

Would not be surprising in the least if that's the result and honestly would be fitting considering how the company seems to "plan" ahead. Picturing the WDWRR down for another 1-2 years (guessing) and a shortening of ROA/TSI for a singular attraction that I assume would be a dead end is ludicrous. Honestly would rather them forget BBTM in that case, get Moana to fill out AL and use those BBTM resources to ensure a DHS addition(s).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney is still going to spend the money.

But the question is will it buy them all that they want, considering all the usual cost overruns?

And remember, official Disney has yet to announce officially what will be in BBTM.

Talk of a Phase II, Moana in MK, and Lion King in AK are all unannounced. If it weren't for these "leaks," we would never learn about any sort of cutbacks for one plan because another plan had cost overruns.

PREMiERdrum

Disney is still going to spend the money.

But the question is will it buy them all that they want, considering all the usual cost overruns?

And remember, official Disney has yet to announce officially what will be in BBTM.

Talk of a Phase II, Moana in MK, and Lion King in AK are all unannounced. If it weren't for these "leaks," we would never learn about any sort of cutbacks for one plan because another plan had cost overruns.
Correct.

However, it's difficult to buy that they didn't know how far-fetched their BBTM Blue Sky previews were. That was a strategic, unrealistic pump.

None of the MK work is actually announced. As far as we officially know, they are considering doing some things Beyond Big Thunder. That's it.

doctornick

Admittedly, I'm personally less concerned about the actual content for BBTM and more intrigued by the setup of what they build - specifically, do they do a proper connection along the entire northern side of the RoA so that you can go from BTMRR to HM across that aspect. If they do that, then even if they don't fill that space now, it will be well suited for an expansion down the road and will even have guests asking "why don't they build here?"

If they do just some sort of dead end above BTMRR then I would consider that a big fail given how it would mess with potential guest flow.

ToTBellHop

Correct.

However, it's difficult to buy that they didn't know how far-fetched their BBTM Blue Sky previews were. That was a strategic, unrealistic pump.
And I don’t know why they did that. Their audience was their biggest fans, not the general public. The biggest fans are already in the bag but also most likely to be disappointed when things don’t pan out. And what they will actually build is still very impressive. Why must they constantly over-promise? Meanwhile, Universal is building a new park and promised nothing until very recently, so any cuts are unknown to most people. It’s a bad look to continually release impressive aspirational concept art for things that are never built. Just put that in a coffee table book in 20 years.

Admittedly, I'm personally less concerned about the actual content for BBTM and more intrigued by the setup of what they build - specifically, do they do a proper connection along the entire northern side of the RoA so that you can go from BTMRR to HM across that aspect. If they do that, then even if they don't fill that space now, it will be well suited for an expansion down the road and will even have guests asking "why don't they build here?"

If they do just some sort of dead end above BTMRR then I would consider that a big fail given how it would mess with potential guest flow.
They're in a tough spot, actually, because it will be very costly to shorten the river and connect around the other side, but if Coco is the ONLY thing that actually happens, I don't know how you justify such a huge expense for the addition of one attraction.

doctornick

They're in a tough spot, actually, because it will be very costly to shorten the river and connect around the other side, but if Coco is the ONLY thing that actually happens, I don't know how you justify such a huge expense for the addition of one attraction.

There is zero need to actually shorten the river if it is too expensive. They can make guest areas mostly outside the RR berm if they wanted to to create space north of the RoA

ednamodedarling

Rivers of America is big... but not as big as previously thought requiring any shortening to reduce walking space.

A potential walkway route from the HM entrance to the RR/Indiana Village is the same walking distance as HM to Big Thunder.
If villains does move forward ... I feel a resurrection of the Main Street Theatre with a campy villains show would be spectacular back in this area behind HM. It would also give something for the littles to do if they find themselves to scared to do the attractions.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I personally have yet to see any reason to believe Radiator Spring Racers is a serious consideration for MK. The Mexico Pavilion seems to be off the table for a number of reasons - Coco at MK seems the most likely based on what I'm hearing, some sort of simulator.

I think simulator was mentioned as a possibility before, but it's still very disappointing.

It's a little strange that Universal has moved away from them and now Disney seems to be building more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom