News 'Beyond Big Thunder Mountain' Blue Sky concept revealed for Magic Kingdom

Bayou

Alright please forgive me, but the tin-foil hat is on.

In the recent video from WDI about the Tiana's Bayou Adventure animatronics, there are a number of b-roll shots throughout the video containing aspects from a variety of different projects. Most of these include projects we've already seen come to fruition like Journey of Water and Shanghai Pirates, but there was one incredibly specific clip that caught my eye. At the 7:25 mark of the video we see two imagineers, one of them wearing a virtual reality headset, reviewing some kind of test footage.

The shot only lasts for 26 frames but from what I can tell here, whatever they're testing seems entirely unfamiliar to me and appears to be a VR preliminary ride-through POV. The test footage has a silhouette of a ride vehicle in the bottom of the frame which stops in front of two pillars looking into a hallway with purple/dark blue walls. A light shines on a small figure in the center of view, who then promptly does a backflip as the light turns off and the ride vehicle pans away from the scene. In the room surrounding the imagineers, the walls are covered by large project boards covered in a wide variety of images. Most are too out of focus to discern, but on the right wall you can barely make out an image of Sorcerer Mickey, a silhouette of the Genie, and a character who resembles Ariel. Upon reviewing the footage, Sorcerer Mickey appears to be the backflipping character in the test footage.

View attachment 777635
View attachment 777636 Sorcerer Mickey
View attachment 777637 The Genie
View attachment 777638 Ariel?
View attachment 777639 Sorcerer Mickey in the test footage?
View attachment 777640 Closer

With that said, the first thing that comes to my mind when discussing an attraction with Sorcerer Mickey is Villains Land and the fan concept of "Fantasmic but it's a ride." Do you think this could be a very early draft of the Villains E-ticket? Or is this some other project I can't recall/something else entirely? Would love if any insiders could chime in.

That looks like the Zootopia ride

Bayou

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 21.55.20.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-06 at 21.55.20.png
    430.6 KB · Views: 114

castlecake2.0

I believe that having multiple entrances will diminish the experience of the parks. Even Walt Disney himself declined to incorporate multiple entrances in Disneyland because he believed it would detract from the guests' experience.
That’s what I’m thinking. I think it was also discussed that Epcot was considering getting a third entrance near Germany but it was determined that the labor costs long term wasn’t worth it. The new entrance would require security, turnstile greeters, guest relations, vacation planners etc. They’ve done a lot to fix the MK arrival area, the issue now is there’s less nighttime entertainment to spread out the mass exodus at night that slams the transportation systems. If they would go back to the night parade/fireworks/parade/projection show model it would almost certainly alleviate the transportation issue.

Horizonsfan

I believe that having multiple entrances will diminish the experience of the parks. Even Walt Disney himself declined to incorporate multiple entrances in Disneyland because he believed it would detract from the guests' experience.
Walt gave Disneyland a second entrance, the monorail station at the DLH/ Downtown Disney.

Given where the park is going, they will at the very least need to work on turning the MS bypass into a permanent onstage area. Main Street as is, while iconic, is slammed.

bmr1591

I think you will get a lot of buy in among guests who will want to be closer to the new major attractions at the start, that gets them to enter there. For the exit, would need to have a reason to be back there <2 hours before close.

But yes, you would have to go all in and make
an “alternate” Main Street that can consistently drive traffic to that end.

If you're going to do a Villains Land, you can make the entrance lead onto a Villains Main Street with Maleficent's Castle at the end.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That’s what I’m thinking. I think it was also discussed that Epcot was considering getting a third entrance near Germany but it was determined that the labor costs long term wasn’t worth it. The new entrance would require security, turnstile greeters, guest relations, vacation planners etc. They’ve done a lot to fix the MK arrival area, the issue now is there’s less nighttime entertainment to spread out the mass exodus at night that slams the transportation systems. If they would go back to the night parade/fireworks/parade/projection show model it would almost certainly alleviate the transportation issue.
Oh…one of my favorites

The “canal plan” from Caribbean past the new Brazil pavilion 😂

Animaniac93-98

I mean, talk about problematic. It’ll take the peanut gallery about five minutes to realize the Disney characters of color are being associated with Frontierland and Adventureland. Which makes Fantasyland a de facto white Eurocentric land. Modern Disney’s okay with that but not the connotations of “the frontier”?

Frontierland's biggest sin is not having any current IP or franchise associated with it.

Makes you wonder what would have happened had Lone Ranger been a hit series that was pushed in the parks...and how much of that movie would be seen as too problematic not even 10 years later.

James Alucobond

My apologies…people have taken the board vote last week and decided that they’re gonna go nuts and build all over the place
People have taken subsequent meetings where they’ve reaffirmed their intent to build all over the place to mean that maybe they’ll build all over the place. Also recent permit filings and the statement that the CFTOD issue was a blocker that has now been removed. It has little to do with the board vote.

TheCoasterNerd

In the Parks
No
Alright please forgive me, but the tin-foil hat is on.

In the recent video from WDI about the Tiana's Bayou Adventure animatronics, there are a number of b-roll shots throughout the video containing aspects from a variety of different projects. Most of these include projects we've already seen come to fruition like Journey of Water and Shanghai Pirates, but there was one incredibly specific clip that caught my eye. At the 7:25 mark of the video we see two imagineers, one of them wearing a virtual reality headset, reviewing some kind of test footage.

The shot only lasts for 26 frames but from what I can tell here, whatever they're testing seems entirely unfamiliar to me and appears to be a VR preliminary ride-through POV. The test footage has a silhouette of a ride vehicle in the bottom of the frame which stops in front of two pillars looking into a hallway with purple/dark blue walls. A light shines on a small figure in the center of view, who then promptly does a backflip as the light turns off and the ride vehicle pans away from the scene. In the room surrounding the imagineers, the walls are covered by large project boards covered in a wide variety of images. Most are too out of focus to discern, but on the right wall you can barely make out an image of Sorcerer Mickey, a silhouette of the Genie, and a character who resembles Ariel. Upon reviewing the footage, Sorcerer Mickey appears to be the backflipping character in the test footage.

View attachment 777635
View attachment 777636 Sorcerer Mickey
View attachment 777637 The Genie
View attachment 777638 Ariel?
View attachment 777639 Sorcerer Mickey in the test footage?
View attachment 777640 Closer

With that said, the first thing that comes to my mind when discussing an attraction with Sorcerer Mickey is Villains Land and the fan concept of "Fantasmic but it's a ride." Do you think this could be a very early draft of the Villains E-ticket? Or is this some other project I can't recall/something else entirely? Would love if any insiders could chime in.

INSANE catch. That is a DEEP dive. It's very possible, but of course, whatever ended up in the video was on purpose, so they had to know someone would notice... very interesting.
Edit - went to the next page, never mind

TalkingHead

Frontierland's biggest sin is not having any current IP or franchise associated with it.

Makes you wonder what would have happened had Lone Ranger been a hit series that was pushed in the parks...and how much of that movie would be seen as too problematic not even 10 years later.
Maybe the most surprising decision at MK over the past two decades is the fact that Toy Story or Woody never got a permanent chunk of Frontierland. Is he also on a list now? Okay for future sequels but not park additions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom