Best Moderate Resort?

Stitchfan712

Hi guys,

Need your advice. Which is the best Moderate Disney resort to stay at in your opinion?

I've been going over reviews and details on all of Disney's moderate resorts and have found mixed opinions on all of them. Can you share your thoughts? Which, in your experience, is the best of the following to stay at?

Port Orleans Riverside
Port Orleans French Quarter
Caribbean Beach
Coronado Springs

From what I've been reading on TripAdvisor...the Riverside and Coronado seem to have the most complaints; for Riverside usually about uncleaned rooms or worn-looking rooms, and for Coronado, food that makes guests ill. Caribbean Beach's complaints are usually about walking distance. The best reviews I've seen are on French Quarter, but there's only 25 reviews, so the result is probably skewed. So I'm asking you guys.

Your advice, tips, warnings, etc are much appreciated.

Erika

It really depends on what kind of experience you are looking for.

I've stayed twice at PO Riverside (when it was Dixie Landings) and once at Caribbean Beach.

I would say they were comparable. The only thing is, CB is pretty spread out. We lucked out with a room right across the bridge and had a beautiful walk to and from the main house every morning. If you ended up in a building way off to the side you'd be in for quite a hike.

I loved CB for the music that drifted over the water (steel drums, etc) and for the hammocks on the beaches. If you are in the right spot you can also see the fireworks from Epcot. If you have kids, their pool is a lot of fun, themed like an old fort complete with water cannons.

Riverside had a very relaxed, Southern theme. I stayed once on the plantation/mansion side not far from the food court and once in Alligator Bayou. I had a lot more walking to do the second time. But the walkways were beautiful and since I was single on both trips, I really wished I had someone special to walk them with me!

I have not stayed at Coronado Springs but John and I did visit there a couple of times just to check it out. While beautiful, it is pretty big and some of the buildings are very far from the food court. Unlike the water at Caribbean Beach, this one does not have a bridge (at least I don't remember seeing one). So if you are across the way you'll have to walk all the way around.

No matter where you stay, you're at WDW and you'll have a good time. If I were you I would pick the theme that most interested me and go there.

Upvote 0

Shaman

I would have to say Coronado...nice theme, nice atmosphere, great bus service, great location, nice pool(s)...

I've stayed at the PO Riverside, and I've explored CB, but I would definetely pick Coronado hands down...just my opinion though....

:wave:

Upvote 0

KUNZEWORLD

We stayed at pofq 2 times and loved it. Its not huge so you don't have to work far. I found it pretty quiet and really nicely themed and will stay there again. I know several people that have stayed at por and i have heard many complaints, especially about how large it is.

Upvote 0

murphy

POR hands down! Beautiful landscaping,peaceful, the river is very pretty, the food court is very good, the boat to downtown disney is wonderful. the service was fantastic. The walking at any resort to me is part of the vacation and should be enjoyed! You could be looking at the same old thing at home instead!! Just take in the scenery and enjoy!!The refurbed rooms are also nice! Have stayed here a few times and really enjoyed this resort! Has a nice breakfast menu also!

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

POR is the best to me! I have stayed there over ten times and have always had a great stay. The cast members there are always very helpful and the food court cannot be beat by any of the others...even some of the deluxe hotels cannot beat POR's food court. I have never had a bad room either. They have always been clean and comfortable. In my opinion after staying at Coronado as well, there is no comparison of the two. I HATED Coronado.

Upvote 0

Erika

murphy said:
POR hands down! Beautiful landscaping,peaceful, the river is very pretty, the food court is very good, the boat to downtown disney is wonderful. the service was fantastic. The walking at any resort to me is part of the vacation and should be enjoyed! QUOTE]

To me as well, however, if Stitchfan has young children, that opinion might not be shared ;)

Upvote 0

shari71

I have stayed at POR six times and we are booked to go again in Oct. The only complaint I have is the walking. We have gone 4 times without kids and 2 times with one kid and the next trip will be with 2 kids. We usually get a room so far from the main building. You end up walking to get breakfast and walking back to drop off your cups then trying to find a bus stop. This year we requested AB Building 14 - it is right next to the main building, but has enough landscaping to make us feel not in the hub of things.

We have never had a problem with unclean rooms - the opposite. Most of the time they even pick up our stuff for us. With the young one they started leaving wash rag animals or placing her stuffed animals in positions like watching TV or peaking out the window as if they were waiting for her to get back. That was the greatest thing. Last year we stayed at the Grand Floridian and it just didn't have the homely feel of POR. That is why we came back.

The other bonus is that we love the boat ride to DTD. It was romantic without children and entertaining with them.

The food court at POR is really great. I have heard many good things about Boatwrights, but I haven't tried it to say anything.

The walking is the worst part when you are trying to get going, but it can also be the best part when you are just taking a leisurly stroll.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

My favorite is French Quarter. The place is nice and compact unlike the other three, so you don't have to worry about getting stuck in a building 2 miles away from the lobby/foodcourt. You also do get to take advantage of everything that Riverside offers like the pool and ammenities. The rooms were also all totally refurbed and look really nice. I don't think you can go wrong with French Quarter.

Upvote 0

BriJul

Carribean was the first resort we stayed at, and imo, the worst. Coronado is my second favorite after Animal Kingdom. And that includes Wilderness Lodge and Poly.

Upvote 0

Stitchfan712

Original Poster
Wait.....has Port Orleans Riverside been refurbished yet? I thought it was just the French Quarter that had been refurbed up to this point.

I've heard some pretty atrocious reviews about the POR on TripAdvisor...based on what they're writing the refurbed rooms at the FQ are an improvement over the rooms at Riverside.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

Stitchfan712 said:
Wait.....has Port Orleans Riverside been refurbished yet? I thought it was just the French Quarter that had been refurbed up to this point.

I've heard some pretty atrocious reviews about the POR on TripAdvisor...based on what they're writing the refurbed rooms at the FQ are an improvement over the rooms at Riverside.

I know 2 of the mansions (Magnolia Terrace, Oak Manor) have been done. A 3rd (Acadian House) should be finished, and the 4th should be under a rehab right now.

Haven't heard anything on what might be happening with the Bayou buildings. If they do go into a rehab, I would think 2 or 3 buildings will be closed at a time, since there are only 64 rooms per building there.

Upvote 0

surfsupdon

I love Caribbean Beach. I also think it is the most kid friendly Resort in the entire World! So if you are traveliung with kids, I would select this one. It has some of the most vibrant colors ever, and tropical island oasis that is a hige playground to explore, and the main pool is pirate themed. It's a sure great time.

It's also very relaxful, with quiet nooks located just about everywhere. I highly reccommend this Resort. Be sure to request a room in either Aruba or Jamaica, and close to the bridge.From there, you still get to "explore" the Resort by walking over the bridge and through the island, and you hear the steel drums music floating over the lake, yet you are still only a 5 mins walk from the main "hub" of everything.

Riverside was nice when we stayed there, but there weren't any palm trees, which I know fits in with the theme of the place, but I was in Florida and I want tropics, lol.

Never was at FQ to stay, but it does look very pretty.

I would never stay at Coronado, it just doesn't feel right to me as a Disney Resort and the food court situation is annoying, having to leave a gratuity b/c someone gets you a drink, ugh!

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

I have been to Carribean beach and Coronado. I would have to say Coronado was by far superior of the two. They have a great main pool and what they call a dig site. My daughter loved to play at the dig site. There were slides and swings and places for the kids to walk through and just have so much fun. They also have 2 pools there. One is for small kids and is zero entry and only about 6 inches deep with water spouts occasionaly spurting up in it.

There is a bridge that does connect you from the pool to the main building, and it very enchanting at night. This was one of my favorite things to do is to take a walk in the evening after comming back from the parks.

The food court was good. They had a good variety of food (I like Tex-Mex so this was great for me).When you get there you are seated and the waiter or waitress gets your drinks for you. I know alot of people on these boards dislike this about Coronado, but I personally liked this because you have a seat before you get you food and your family knows where to meet. We made this mistake at CBR when we went up to get food and then had nowhere to sit and eat like many others.

The bussing is awesome. While waiting for busses after night show it can get crazy. You can easily find the CSR bus stop at the parks by looking for the shortest line. It was great.

At CBR I was most dissapointed by both the food court and the transportation. The food court was so crouded. We had to wait in long lines and it was tough to find a seat. The bussing was standing only alot of times and we had to wait for another bus to come alot of times and getting back to the resort at night was "ugh". The theme was nice, but I will not go back.

Have fun choosing :wave:

Upvote 0

John Baynes

Re: Moderate Resorts

Just to add my opinion on this issue. My favorite is POFQ, my wife and I stayed there is 2002 and it was wonderful. Very easy to get to everything since you don't have to walk very far. We will be staying there again in November. Since we don't use the pools very much all I can say is that it is very interesting. The dragon looks neat. Also, the boats to DTD make it easy to get there and back. We have also stayed at POR and while the rooms were nice it was a bit of a walk to get anywhere. Never ate at the Foodcourt, but I will recommend Boatrights for a good breakfast or lunch.

Finally, I have also stayed at the Caribbean Beach and was not all that taken with the place. We were lucky to have a bus stop right outside our room, but some people had to walk a long way to get back and forth.

As has been said it depends upon your needs. The All Ears Net web site, I think it is www.wdwig.com( hope that doesn't violate any rules, if so, I'm sorry, just tell me and it will not happen again.) Has very good pictures and information that might be of value in making a decision. Sorry this was so long. Good luck.

Upvote 0

NeedABreak

I had a really good time at the CBR but the walking distances are a bit much (If you can skate bring some and stow them in a backpack)

In the mornings it wasn't so bad but after a night at pleasure island its pretty awful.

We are staying at POR this time around and trying to get a room in Magnolia. You get a bus stop in the parkin lot to your building, a decent distance from the busy food court area and I am pretty sure the rooms have been redone. From what I hear there redoing the whole place since it is so popular with adults traveling without kids.

I haven;t been yet so I don't know how much this is worth to ya but everybody I talk to says if ya have kids go to the French Quarter and get closer to the crazy pool, if ya don't have kids take riverside, ask for a rehabed room when you make reservations, and enjoy the sceanery.

Upvote 0

wsapooh

I've stayed at all 4 moderate resorts and I like them all. But there is only 1 that I've stayed at more than once and that's POFQ. It's my favorite because of the small size. It's never a long walk to anywhere which is, of course, a huge relief after long days in the parks. Food is good, pool is great, love the theme. You have access to POR if you'd like so you get the best of both worlds. I really like being able to take the boat ride to DD. It's a lovely evening ride.

That's my vote!

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

I also have stayed at all 4 moderates and my thought is you have to figure out what is your priority??]

Good sit down restaurant for breakfast - Boatwrights ( Hence POR) wins!!
Amazing main pool area -Coronado,Hands Down Check out the hot tub
Small intimate resort- POFQ is the winner here
Tropical Feel- CBR is the favorite for this.

Can you tell me more of what you are looking for out of the resort??
Regardless of which resort is chosen I dont believe you can lose no matter what!!! All of the Moderates are wonderful in my opinion!!! Belle

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom